lamarque

wo-s#1

I think Texas City wouldn't combine with LM at the HS. That would put TC going 6A and I don't think they want that. I see them keeping LM as a high school in TCISD. They would have a 3A and 5A school.

good point. i've said the same thing. TC can take  them and just have a 3a high school and name them Texas City Coogs. it doesn't make since to take 2600 students and bring them to TC schools. leave them at the current school, rehire, and rename.

I guess the question is if LM becomes TCISD and keeps the LMHS's doors open, what happens to the kids zoned to LMHS that attend schools else where? If those kids are forced back into the district then LMHS as part TCISD would be close to 1100 students. Yes before anyone asks I am from the Galveston County area and I have been following all the county programs for 25+ years. The situation in LM is sad, but could have been avoided. I'm just wondering where the road leads for the students that remain.

I guess the question is if LM becomes TCISD and keeps the LMHS's doors open, what happens to the kids zoned to LMHS that attend schools else where? If those kids are forced back into the district then LMHS as part TCISD would be close to 1100 students. Yes before anyone asks I am from the Galveston County area and I have been following all the county programs for 25+ years. The situation in LM is sad, but could have been avoided. I'm just wondering where the road leads for the students that remain.

I guess the true answer to your question is how the students zoned to LMHS got to the other districts.  If they are there strictly because the other school districts (TCISD, CCISD, Dickinson, Hitchcock, Galveston) have open enrollments and those students meet the other district requirements (usually financial), then TCISD, if they are the absorbing school district, really is powerless.

However, the TEA has decreed that students in failing school districts are free to enroll in other school districts on the dime of the failing district.  Given that LMISD is set for closure, I presume that the students on LMISD were afforded this option.  However, if TCISD, as the assuming school district, is in good standing, they would not be under this obligation, thus forcing the LM zoned students in other school districts to pony up the tuition.  If that is the case, I could see LM students having to return to TCISD for economic reasons alone.  Whether those students would be attending LM or TC (assuming that both are kept open), would be up to the zoning guidelines passed by the TCISD.

i'm from PA, but live in LM. IMO, IF TC takes LM, nothing changes until the next realignment. i don't believe it's a good idea to have students change districts and schools after being established somewhere else. imo, after two years, they have a zoning plan in place, possibly increasing numbers. also as you know if you live in the area, all the growth is pushing south along the I-45 corridor. with businesses and strip malls popping up, an amusement park and subdivisions going up, i see LM possibly growing again.

I guess the true answer to your question is how the students zoned to LMHS got to the other districts.  If they are there strictly because the other school districts (TCISD, CCISD, Dickinson, Hitchcock, Galveston) have open enrollments and those students meet the other district requirements (usually financial), then TCISD, if they are the absorbing school district, really is powerless.

However, the TEA has decreed that students in failing school districts are free to enroll in other school districts on the dime of the failing district.  Given that LMISD is set for closure, I presume that the students on LMISD were afforded this option.  However, if TCISD, as the assuming school district, is in good standing, they would not be under this obligation, thus forcing the LM zoned students in other school districts to pony up the tuition.  If that is the case, I could see LM students having to return to TCISD for economic reasons alone.  Whether those students would be attending LM or TC (assuming that both are kept open), would be up to the zoning guidelines passed by the TCISD.

I see your point, and that makes allot of sense.

i'm from PA, but live in LM. IMO, IF TC takes LM, nothing changes until the next realignment. i don't believe it's a good idea to have students change districts and schools after being established somewhere else. imo, after two years, they have a zoning plan in place, possibly increasing numbers. also as you know if you live in the area, all the growth is pushing south along the I-45 corridor. with businesses and strip malls popping up, an amusement park and subdivisions going up, i see LM possibly growing again.

Being from the area League City now, and formally form LM/Hitchcock I agree that the area is growing, but the city lines are so jagged that almost everything along I45 is either TC/Dickinson or Hitchcock, very little is LM. But seeing as TC may be the one to absorb them, the district will grow for sure. Still a sad ending for LMISD.

I'm from the area its a lot of areas around here are growing except a small few cities including LM actually they are declining from what I heard TC knew this was coming and has a plan for this situation but if I was whoever in charge in TC I would annex it all be one district and one hs to the person who said tc doesn't want to be 6a they are going to be a 6a team sooner or later cuz now with LMISD closing it could benefit TC with the money,the athletes and the community which if you from this area knows in both communities everyone is linked to someone from the other community also because of the zoning most of the students that goes to LM live in TC because of the zones with lmisd gone it can open up that and benefit both cities that just my opinion

That would make the most sense.  Keep the LM schools open until they have a plan to absorb the students and close the schools.

This is the hidden content, please

RT

: La Marque ISD being annexed by Texas City ISD effective July 1. All La Marque ISD schools to stay Open at least thru 2017!

Thats good to hear. Hopefully they will still keep it named LaMarque after 2017.

RT

: La Marque ISD being annexed by Texas City ISD effective July 1. All La Marque ISD schools to stay Open at least thru 2017!

Now the question is does Texas City force the ones that transfer in back to La Marque? According to TEA 230 out of the 1700 that transfer out of La Marque attend Texas City. That is for all grades, but 1700 transfer out and only 50 transfer in.

I meant just the ones that transfer back into Texas City. The 8th grades that live in La Marque but transfer to Texas City could be ones where Texas City has them go back to La Marque.

With TEA being involved and if the issue was academic ratings, the students can pretty much go where they want to go.