West Hardin, please fix girls coaching

Guest JCfan

Before next year, for the sake of the girls, please solidify the girls coaching position.

They need someone who wants to be there and knows how to teach the game.

I am not saying this to down anyone that played a role this year, but rather to plead for help before next year for the girls sake.

Their talent pool in girls was not that bad, but they were not improving.

They also need a leader that will pull them together and deal with attitudes.

By the way, I am not a parent of any of the girls. I am an unbiased person that watched the team under both coaches they had this year.

I don't have kids there, or teach there. I have no direct connection, but please help! 

Hup, unless you have insight in who the AD is and how things are running I wouldn't be mouthing about pitiful and spineless posts.

How do you know I haven't been to the AD and higher?

It's more complicated than you might know.

Westfall is the boys AD and Cruz is the girls AD. If your going to tell people to follow the chain know what your talking about.

Westfall had nothing to do with what happened.

A lot of people were involved and last I checked I have a right to make this post.

Coop hasn't checked me on it yet, but thanks for all of your knowledge and sincere concern!

Everyone has the right to express their opinions.  Here is mine:  I had a parent say to me last night after our girls lost in the playoffs, "we got outcoached".  I will be the first to admit this happens sometimes at all levels.  However, I just told the parent that our coach did not miss 12 free throws nor any lay ups!  College is there for everyone.  If some of the experts from the stands are so good, then they should get a teaching certificate and pick up a whistle.  Again, this is just my opinion.  So, if there is a problem, go to the coach, then Coach Cruise, then the principal, then the super., then the board. Or, go get an education degree and become a coach and fix the problem yourself.

Well that is the difference in you job and others. I do not know the whole situation, but i do understand where ahuddleston is coming from. And he hit the nail on the head! And when people question coaches it is not just a question. Almost like an attack on your life, coaching style, or your decisions you made during the game. If you lose you don't have a job. Unlike other professions. 

Everyone has the right to express their opinions.  Here is mine:  I had a parent say to me last night after our girls lost in the playoffs, "we got outcoached".  I will be the first to admit this happens sometimes at all levels.  However, I just told the parent that our coach did not miss 12 free throws nor any lay ups!  College is there for everyone.  If some of the experts from the stands are so good, then they should get a teaching certificate and pick up a whistle.  Again, this is just my opinion.  So, if there is a problem, go to the coach, then Coach Cruise, then the principal, then the super., then the board. Or, go get an education degree and become a coach and fix the problem yourself.

This is a typical coach response.  People question me at my job and I don't have the right to tell them to go and get a degree because ''we know better". We sure would lose lots of clients. 

How many times at your job do people from the outside(not in your profession)

question what you do?  How many 15 - 18 year olds have to carry out your instructions? 

How many times at your job do people from the outside(not in your profession)
question what you do?  How many 15 - 18 year olds have to carry out your instructions? 

Ever heard the old saying "the customer is always right?"  Well they're not always right. But don't tell them that. I do have 16-18 yr olds that carry out intructions.  If they don't do what they are hired for they are fired.

The 16 to 18 year old high school basketball  players aren't "hired",  are you suggesting when they make mistakes they be "fired"?  Ridiculous.  And if there were that many free throws and layups missed, then it is certainly  going out on a limb blaming the loss on being "outcoached"...  EVERYBODY's an expert when it comes to second guessing coaches.

Ok guys, here it is. I understand where you coaches are coming from.

I am not even saying this is about wins and losses.

If your team was getting their tail handed to them and at halftime the girls are being allowed to dance to the radio instead of trying to solve the problems something is wrong. It is not just kids that rumored this either.

When you have the possibilty that people in the administration do not really want to take a stand for the well-being of the kids and help the coaching situation after these same people might have forced a coaching move in the middle of the season without it maybe being called for, then sometimes you take what ever stand you can to try to help the kids and get the situation evaluated bfore they have to go through something like that again.

I think coaches should be evaluated on how they are doing teaching the kids the agme and not on wins and losses, but when they aren't teaching the kids there is a problem. Wins can depend on talent, but do your job regardless and then everything is ok.

That is my thought and concern on this topic, but you don't have to like it.

Huddy, have to answer yes on talking to the people you referenced.

I am very supportive of any coach that is even trying to their job. All who know me know that.

I appreciate your understanding after my last post.

And yes it is sad when coaches are only judged by wins and losses and not the talent level they have and whether they are teaching the game and sportsman ship.

You can't win regularly without some talent, but you can improve and have good attitudes if coached well.

The West Hardin School Board has always been a problem in making decisions the AD should be allowed to make. I went to school there and saw it first hand. Just look at one of the coaches that is now at West Sabine. He wouldn't stay around due to too much pressure by his own relatives to play certain people and a certain way. He would never say that, because he wouldn't want in the middle of it, but it was sad. The program was on its way up and poof!! We went through 4 athletic directors in the 6 years I played organized sports for this school. Rather they won or not, if they didn't play a certain way, they didn't stay. This is a major concern of many people in the area. This was also a major reason why the West Hardin program hasn't been successful when they had lots of potential. No consistency. The kids are taught something different every year. New schemes, new ways, new rules, new tactics. It all changes so much, and a great deal due to the school being centered around a very political community with too much power in the wrong areas... I hope it is turning around up there for the kids' sake. 

Well, I have to say on this deal I am not real sure the head AD and maybe others were involved enough. I don't know. All I can tell anyone is not to tick the girls AD off because some of the school administrators act like she is God at that judgement.

The school board member that I primarily spoke to was very helpful in the situation and I have to say the board didn't call the shots whether I thought they should have or not. We have some very good members right now AND IF THE NEXT ELECTIONS GO WELL,  we could be well off.

Thanks for your input WHBID. 

oohhh,

sorry i didnt catch this thread earlier..... about the coaches.. ive sat in the stands across from them and literally watch them laugh at the team....ive seen them sit on the bench and hold conversations with each other...indifferent to what was going on on the court..

BACKINTHEDAY......bullseye, im speechless...you said it all

im not sure about what happened with the original girl's coach but he was a good coach.......

Understand one thing. I wasn't taking any personal shots because frankly, I do not personally know all of the involved parties.

I do know they had better players and the situations were very hard on the girls.

Maybe the people at the school need to be able to seperate business from personal.

And as always, this is my opinion about facts I know. That is all.

From all I have known about the board, I know some good members that are always willing to listen to respectful concerns and complaints, but

I only know three of them well enough to say.

I have faith it will get better. 

Bucster, that may be a very good question. I think it may be that the lady they once wanted to hire may not have come any other way.

I have been active in 1A schools all my life and never do I remember 2 ADs.

Exactly Bucster. I have stayed away from this thread for many reasons, but WH backintheday is right. It has been a problem since a certain high school principal was given too much authority.

As a 1A school we spend way too much money for athletics. Having a mens and ladies AD's is stupid in my mind. We justify doing this because we win district in volleyball and that is what our last Super. wanted because he had a daughter in athletics and felt the male AD did not concentrate on ladies athletics enough. But is it worth 60K/yr. to do this?

And bucster, yes she is the volleyball coach.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw