Great Coaches

Guest bcoldcard

Guest bleed orange

I am going to talk about coaches in general. Being a great coach does not always mean "winning". Sure that helps keep a job but to me there are other things. Knowing the game helps also.

The "other things" I was talking about is, How is that player going to turn out as an adult? Coaches rather they want to be or not, are a role model or adult figure to these kids. I have seen cases were coaches have literially saved a kids life just by being a father figure or mom to a kid that may not have a functional home life. I have seen kids that would have gone in the wrong direction if not for a coach or a teacher. Its all about "Respect".  Coaches who not only teach X's and O's but about life in the real world are the one's that are great to me.

One more "other thing". Motivation is another key. Most of the great coaches are great motivators. My coach in high school if he said run through a brick wall, we ran through a brick wall because he made us believe in ourselfs. Now of course we never ran through a brick wall, thats was just an example. Back then it was not about the money. I know its not about the money for some coaches today but it is about the money for alot of coaches. But its like that in all professions.

There are several things that make up a good coach.  Of course knowing the game is a big part of it, but just as huge is the ability to motivate players to be more than they ever thought they could.  Placing kids in the right place to succeed is important as well.  Also, it is important to set a standard of excellence that makes kids believe they will win.  Some teams that have great tradition, win year in and year out, even when the talent level drops because a standard of excellence is set!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder