South Carolina church shooting

tvc184, your key words is that "he qualifies for it." Does not mean he will get the stiffest penalty

​True but did you overlook the fact that SC has no hate crime law? 

If you missed it or ignored it, such a finding does not matter since it can add nothing to the case. 

And honestly, do you think this guy will get anything short of the death sentence or life without parole? 

Edited by tvc184

What is probably the most sick and cruel part of this (as if the crime itself is not enough) is that he (according to current reports) walked in and asked to join the Bible study. 

Here is a white kid that walked into a traditionally black church and asked to participate and he was probably welcomed with open arms. That almost seems more heartbreaking than the horrific incident itself. The very people that he was about to slaughter welcomed him in and very likely might have hugged him. He repaid their kindness with the death penalty. Hopefully the state will return the favor. 

Edited by tvc184

Hopefully...

The SC law allows life in prison and the  death penalty.  Does federal law allow more or even up to the same thing?   Does the federal law of demand a minimum sentence that is more than South Carolina? Can it be that the state jury which is picked from the exact same people as a federal jury, would give more to the federal prosecutor than to the district attorney? 

This is nothing but a political ploy in order to look like somebody is doing sonething. Apparently some people fall for it. I guess that's why it's done and why is politics. 

We have a perfect example that we can look back on and it is local.   Did the federal government prosecute the three man that killed James Byrd or did they let Texas just handle the case  and give out their death penalty?  They did not need to spend several months and a huge chunk of money to prove what everybody else knew. 

Edited by tvc184

The SC law allows life in prison and the  death penalty.  Does federal law allow more or even up to the same thing?   Does the federal law of demand a minimum sentence that is more than South Carolina? Can it be that the state jury which is picked from the exact same people as a federal jury, would give more to the federal prosecutor than to the district attorney? 

This is nothing but a political ploy in order to look like somebody is doing sonething. Apparently some people fall for it. I guess that's why it's done and why is politics. 

We have a perfect example that we can look back on and it is local.   Did the federal government prosecute the three man that killed James Byrd or did they let Texas just handle the case  and give out their death penalty?  They did not need to spend several months and a huge chunk of money to prove what everybody else knew. 

​Some folks think the fed gov needs to be involved in everything.

Yeah, and we can give examples of hate crimes where the perps were given light punishment or no punishment. Thats the history of getting the Feds involved because the State or local govts.still aren't in trust by people of color. Or would do we prefer the county clerk and his "Bubba" friends on jury duty?

Yeah, and we can give examples of hate crimes where the perps were given light punishment or no punishment. Thats the history of getting the Feds involved because the State or local govts.still aren't in trust by people of color. Or would do we prefer the county clerk and his "Bubba" friends on jury duty?

RVA pastor: Man threatens churchgoers wielding weapon, screaming racist rants:

This is the hidden content, please
This is the hidden content, please

Is this the new thing now? 

Feel free to name all the instances where a multiple murder suspect got off with light sentences. 

I hate to tell you but the jury will come from the same pool of people whether in state or federal court.

How come the feds did not step in and allowed the east Texas good ol' boys in the James Byrd case to try it instead of in federal court? 

since you appear to be so sure of a weak outcome of the state trial, how much do you want to bet that he either gets life or death? 

Feel free to name all the instances where a multiple murder suspect got off with light sentences. 

I hate to tell you but the jury will come from the same pool of people whether in state or federal court.

How come the feds did not step in and allowed the east Texas good ol' boys in the James Byrd case to try it instead of in federal court? 

since you appear to be so sure of a weak outcome of the state trial, how much do you want to bet that he either gets life or death? 

​Never mentioned multiple murder suspect getting off. But!!! Birmingham, AL church for starters.

What is probably the most sick and cruel part of this (as if the crime itself is not enough) is that he (according to current reports) walked in and asked to join the Bible study. 

Here is a white kid that walked into a traditionally black church and asked to participate and he was probably welcomed with open arms. That almost seems more heartbreaking than the horrific incident itself. The very people that he was about to slaughter welcomed him in and very likely might have hugged him. He repaid their kindness with the death penalty. Hopefully the state will return the favor. 

Very very good post.

tv,  now you say "hopefully."  That's the reason the Feds need to intervene.  To take the "hopefully"  out of it.

​I just looked up the South Carolina law on murder. For just the typical murder like two guys get in a bar fight or you argue with your neighbor, it is a minimum of 30 years with life as a maximum. If there are "aggravating circumstances" and the jury does not issue the death sentence, the mandatory sentence is life without parole or as they put it, "until the death of the defendant without the possibility of parole". 

As far as the "aggravating circumstances", any of these listed will give life without parole or death. It appears to me that he violated at least these three circumstances and only proving one of them will result in death or life. 

(3) The offender by his act of murder knowingly created a great risk of death to more than one person in a public place by means of a weapon or device which normally would be hazardous to the lives of more than one person.

9) Two or more persons were murdered by the defendant by one act or pursuant to one scheme or course of conduct.

(11) The murder of a witness or potential witness committed at any time during the criminal process for the purpose of impeding or deterring prosecution of any crime.

It appears to me that this guy will get at least 9 life sentences without parole as a minimum. The governor has already called for this to be a death penalty case and I am sure that is what they will go for. Either would be good for me. Death seems very fitting but a 21 year old sentenced to an 8 foot by 8 foot cell 23 hours a day for the next 60 years seems fitting also. 

Also since the topic of insanity will come up, the SC law is almost identical to TX.

The burden of proof is on the defendant. That differs from some laws where the burden is on the government to prove that a person is not insane. To be insane you have to not know the difference between right or wrong. Blaming other people as this guy did and fleeing to get away by itself (in my opinion) proves that he knew the difference between right and wrong. 

Also almost exactly like TX, the SC statute says that merely being antisocial or just a mean criminal is not proof of insanity. Just because the guy is a jerk (in lieu of profanity that seems to fit but against the rules) does not mean that he is insane. 

(C) Evidence of a mental disease or defect that is manifested only by repeated criminal or other antisocial conduct is not sufficient to establish the defense of insanity.

Now here with go with removing the Confederate flag from a monument on govt. grounds.  The flag had nothing to do with the shootings.  Why do ppl believe this flag represents slavery or racism?  Get the hell over it.  Misinformed left wing dumbarses.

​i dont like the flag for personal reasons but removing a flag not gonna stop ppl from being a racist. I've seen racist ppl fly the American flag high in their yards and with stickers on their vehicles. We gonna remove the American flag? 

​Why?

​just couldn't believe a law enforcement official would pay for a murderer meal because "he was hungry"…… doesn't make bright sense to me, I know I wouldn't do it, he'd have his choice of whats on the menu in lockup, I be damn if I attempt to pay for it.