May Cost Extra For Redfish

Talk about a government red tape and bloated rules and regulations. The article says that the Texas Parks & Wildlife issues 161 different permits, stamps and licenses.

But wait, an assessment work group decided that there were 61 too many license, etc. If everything goes well, Texas will only issue 100 different types of licenses. What a break through that is!

One of their responses is a $3 charge for the now free bonus redfish tag. That is to (their words) "cover the agency's administrative costs of issuing the tags". I imagine that. When you go into Academy and trade in your used redfish tag for a new one that is spit out on a computer printout by a minimum wage employee, it is reported to cost the TP&W $3. So it is done on a computer in about 15 seconds and it costs $3? I need to get into that computer business. At a rate of about $700 an hour, I am pretty sure I can cover the admin cost of the stamp. Certainly no red tape or hidden costs there.

The article calls it, "an untapped revue source". Well duhh. If you want an untapped revenue source, why not charge for each type of fish that can be kept. Heck, they did away with 61 licenses. They could add a few back without much red tape. Just think, the license costs you $28 in freshwater but they could make it where you can only fish, not keep any. If you with to retain bass, that is a $10 stamp for the year. Catfish, bream and crappie might come in at a $5 stamp. Maybe they could even charge a $15 stamp for anyone that fishes in a bass tournament. The stamp would be good for the whole year of course. No need to buy a stamp for each tourney.. at least not for the first year when they realize another "untapped revenue source".

Now that I am off of my rant, why don't they just charge us for a hunting, fishing or combo license. Why all of the silliness with the stamps and permits? If they need $40 per person instead of the current $28 ($38 for salt/freshwater combo), then just do it. Why the nickle and dime stuff where it looks like you are paying more or less by the fish you go after.  I think they have all gone nuts.

I don't care to keep those big reds anyway.  They're too tough, unless maybe grilled, which I never grill redfish.   I happy w/ Catch and release.

I have never used a bonus redfish tag but it is the principal. It already costs $5 more to fish in saltwater than freshwater. If they don't stop the stamps and permits, where will it end? State duck stamp, archery stamp, whitewing dove stamp, redfish tag....... if they went up $2 on everyone's license, they would raise more money than they do selling all of the different tags and stamps. It seems like buying a new car and then you have to pay extra for wheels, seats, headlights....

I don't care to keep those big reds anyway.  They're too tough, unless maybe grilled, which I never grill redfish.   I happy w/ Catch and release.

I agree....... but 16 to 20 inches is about perfect to grill on the halfshell and if you ain't tried it your missing out !  Obviously, you gotta have your La. license if your gonna keep em under 20" but you just rub a little olive oil on the meat side of the filet and season it good and slap it on the hot grill for a minute or two then flip it over and finish cooking on the scale side.

But you gotta agree they are a blast to catch............them big ones !

I LOVE catching them too, but as you can see, redfish are bad about stressing out if you fight them too long, and they'll die on ya.  I hate it when that happens, so after catching a few, I'll just leave to keep from killing more.  They are really hard to revive sometimes.

DSCN0409.jpg

I LOVE catching them too, but as you can see, redfish are bad about stressing out if you fight them too long, and they'll die on ya.  I hate it when that happens, so after catching a few, I'll just leave to keep from killing more.  They are really hard to revive sometimes.

DSCN0409.jpg

I never had that problem..................maybe your taking too many pictures before you release em. Try keepin them it the water when you remove the hook and tighten your drag so you ain't gotta fight em all day.

I don't know that I have ever seen one that I caught actually turn belly up on me. We fight them with heavier line, maybe 40 pound, and bring them in before too long. They still put up a fight but it doesn't last a long time. We keep them moving back and forth in the water until they revive.

I don't know that I have ever seen one that I caught actually turn belly up on me. We fight them with heavier line, maybe 40 pound, and bring them in before too long. They still put up a fight but it doesn't last a long time. We keep them moving back and forth in the water until they revive.

40 lb test...............you must be fishing in the gulf cause you don't need that in Sabine Lake.  12 to 20 lb is more than enough for the Lake.

40 lb test...............you must be fishing in the gulf cause you don't need that in Sabine Lake.  12 to 20 lb is more than enough for the Lake.

That's the whole point Lucky. Go back and read the post. I think they survived because "we fight then with heavier line" and bring them in faster. I wasn't bragging about being able to catch a redfish on 40 lb line. I can catch one on 6 pound line but after I play the redfish for an hour, I can just about assure its death.

I didn't think you were braggin'. I just figured anybody that fished 40 lb test must be in the gulf.  I have never had a problem fighting redfish with 12 lb test in the lake. The fight normally does not last longer that 5 to 15 minutes and the only ones I've had die are the ones that go in the cooler or maybe one that requires some surgery for hook removal. I'm no expert, but I have friends that guide in the lake and use the same tackle and lb test as I do.

Well, you are a better fisherman than me if you can take a 30-40 pound red on 12 pound line in 5 minutes.

I don't think I caught one over 16 lbs last year. You must be the KING of the lake if all you catch is 30 to 40 lb redfish. And obviously you know more than most Sabine lake guides. Us below average fishermen usually catch em in the 5 to 15 lb range, with an occasional bull red or two.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder