Baltimore in deep ish

Mr. Buddy Garrity

pe2009........I don't have time to address everything you said, so I'm hitting a few points......

No one is justifying the killing of a person of any color. The problem I have is when a person commits a crime (from j-walking to murder), a cop has a right to detain you and give you a ticket or arrest you. If you run from the cop, he has every right to give chase and detain you by whatever means is necessary.

I'm white and was given a ticket for impeding traffic(I was going to slow), Lets say I got out of my vehicle and ran from him, he tackled me and some how broke my neck........is that his fault? Did I deserve to die or be paralyzed for a simple traffic law? Should we make it a law that an officer cannot give chase to a suspect?

Bottom line is no matter what color you are, you have a better chance of living if you don't run from the cops. There is nothing anyone can say that would change my mind.

I usually try to stay away from threads about politics, religion, child raising, racism...etc....everyone has an opinions. In a war of opinions everyone is the winner AND loser...you can go on for days. Don't get me wrong...I'm the nicest guy you'll meet, I have friends that are black, white, hispanic, gay, lesbian, democrat, republican, etc...I love people. I was BLESSED to be born at the bottom and able to make my way to the top so that I can experince both sides. Forgive me for ranting, I'm just tired of seeing "It's your fault, you ran".....I'm scared to death of Police to this day...they make me nervous...I know what they are capable of....I was never a drug deal, but I had a few possesion charges some how as a teenager when unbagged rocks mysteriously appeared in my pocket or under my seat...and Like I said before...I sat downtown Houston in a homicide case that happened in the montrose area the same time I was sitting in Camp Casey, Korea on the other side of the world at the exact same time, yet the police had soooo much "Evidence" against me that I actually thought "Well, it may be possible I got drunk off Soju, flew out of Seoul, killed this guy, came back and I just don't remember"

I just think there is too much finger pointing and not enough people willing to sit down and look at the real issues and come up with a solution.

Dog climbs under fence bites kid

Dog owner: The board was on your side of the fence which is your responsibility

Parent: Pit Bull's are dangerous, your dog was in my yard

Dog owner: Your child was teasing my dog

This goes on and own and own and everyone forgets the original story A child was injured by a dog.

That's what these ferguson, Freddy Grey cases are like,

and I'm sure you are a great guy. This forum is for debates.....I may disagree with you but I will always respect your opinion and never name call.

I even like that troll Buddy Garrity :D  :P

and I'm sure you are a great guy. This forum is for debates.....I may disagree with you but I will always respect your opinion and never name call.

I even like that troll Buddy Garrity :D  :P

Dont let a HD poster see this, lawd, the board will catch a hell of flames.  ;)

Never said he was a choir boy, but cops are cops.....not judge, jury and executioner. Funny how the pull up criminal history AFTER they kill them...guess that's a way to justify it. You probably have no reason to fear police. If you're speeding, you're given a ticket and let go....if I'm speeding, a second squad car is called, I'm pulled out sat down on the curb publicy embarrased in front of my kids while they go through my car....it's annoying and aggravating. Even with the "yes sir and no sir"....you're a suspect. And saying this doesn't happen is like a man arguing with a woman that "All guys don't stare at your boobs"....Men arent experts on feminism just like people who never experienced racism can't say it dosen't exsist...not saying YOU havent., but it happens do this day steele....two of my best friends are cops(I lol because that's like a white guy saying I have two black friends :)). But the riots and protests are from people tired of hearing "Things have changed, people aren't like that any more, it must be you"....basically like telling a woman...if men are raping you...maybe you should wear pants.

my husband went through something similar. I guess he looked "suspicious "

pe2009........I don't have time to address everything you said, so I'm hitting a few points......

No one is justifying the killing of a person of any color. The problem I have is when a person commits a crime (from j-walking to murder), a cop has a right to detain you and give you a ticket or arrest you. If you run from the cop, he has every right to give chase and detain you by whatever means is necessary.

I'm white and was given a ticket for impeding traffic(I was going to slow), Lets say I got out of my vehicle and ran from him, he tackled me and some how broke my neck........is that his fault? Did I deserve to die or be paralyzed for a simple traffic law? Should we make it a law that an officer cannot give chase to a suspect? What you described is not what happened in this case. He was injured while in police custody.

Bottom line is no matter what color you are, you have a better chance of living if you don't run from the cops. There is nothing anyone can say that would change my mind.

I'm white and was given a ticket for impeding traffic(I was going to slow), Lets say I got out of my vehicle and ran from him, he tackled me and some how broke my neck........is that his fault? Did I deserve to die or be paralyzed for a simple traffic law? Should we make it a law that an officer cannot give chase to a suspect? What you described is not what happened in this case. He was injured while in police custody.

that is not what happened in tbis case. He was injured while he was in police custody.

I'm white and was given a ticket for impeding traffic(I was going to slow), Lets say I got out of my vehicle and ran from him, he tackled me and some how broke my neck........is that his fault? Did I deserve to die or be paralyzed for a simple traffic law? Should we make it a law that an officer cannot give chase to a suspect?

first thing I want to know WHY you ran...maybe you have drugs or weapons on you....Maybe in some instances(personal experience) you didnt do anything and you know this cop and what his reputation is...consider this...growing up, we all "KNEW" the cops...we had nicknames for them, we knew their reputations. We called one "Carl Lewis" because he would sit on the hood of the car while his partner cruised the streets and when he saw you, he would jump off the hood and run after you...he was pretty fast. Then we had THIS guy who made the news recently:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-police-officer-arrested-by-federal-agents/32237590

This guy would pull you over, no reason, what ever money, loose change you had, he would take you. Then arrest you and you had to sit around and guess what you were arrested for until you faced a judge...it was like a game show. The cops in these areas know everyone on a first name basis...they know your family and the more they "Jump out" on you and find nothing...the more irrated they get..that's when the beating's drug planting and all the extra stuff takes place...they want to make your live miserable.

Now...if you break your spine by running and falling...pretty much your fault. But if they beat the ish out of you because you ran, that's not justified....running should not be a death sentence.

Again, In my opinion the issue that needs to be addresed is WHY we run, and realize that the interaction between cops and civillians is different in different areas...like I say, I considered myself a good kid, but based on where I lived.....I was always treated like a suspect first. When you're constantly treated like a suspect, you lose respect for the cops...not saying it's right, but it's a reality. Not everyone in the "Hood" is a bad person, but we're all guilty until proven innocent. Growing up there were some cops you knew to run from and then there were some cops you were happy to see. Thetragichippy, I don't know you from Bob, but you seem like a cool guy but I'm willing to bet if you and me were pulled over for the exact same thing...the interaction would be totally different. Because of my past dealing with bad cops...I'm going to be nervous and sweaty......they will probably approach my car cautiously, hand on weapon because of my appearance making things uneasy for both of us.....you can probaly say things to the cop that I can't say lol...that's just the way it is...it's a reality but as long as we try to pretend that these things don't  happen, we will alway be at odds.

People are defending rioters who are destroying a city because of the death of a local low level drug dealing thug with 18 arrest, 6 in the last four months. Don't misunderstand me, i'm not saying he should have died. If the police were at fault then they should be held accountable but don't ruin your own community.

not everyone is rioting.

the guy in question said he didnt say what they accused him of saying. He stated that they are trying to "cover their butts". He didnt say butt though

I just find it strange certain evidence somehow leaked to mainstream media when it wasn't suppose to. Its almost as if someone or some ppl are in on an agenda. 

my husband went through something similar. I guess he looked "suspicious "

Sadly it's normal.....my 9 year old was watching the news and asked "What happened" I told her A cop shot someone. She asked "On purpose?"... I said yes. Her reply was "Why is he in trouble?", cops shoot people all the time"...Now the fact that she thinks this is normal is because it's on the news every day...now it's up to me to explain to her the other layers to these situtations...the same conversations my grandparents had with me. I have to give my son the same speeches they gave me to make sure he comes home alive....nothing has really changed

@cnnbrk: Meet Marilyn Mosby, the state's attorney who called Freddie Gray's death a homicide: http://cnn.it/1c2vTT7 http://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/594153610633699329/photo/1

@WashTimes: BREAKING: Baltimore prosecutor deems Freddie Gray’s death a homicide - http://wtim.es/1E1ONzt #FreddieGray http://twitter.com/WashTimes/status/594151579214819328/photo/1

First...it was an pre exsisting injury from a car accident.....LIE

Next....he did it to himself banging in the van.....LIE

"Breaking News: Thugs looting CVS in Baltimore"

Love it.

$10 that HIS criminal history is brought into play now.

first thing I want to know WHY you ran...maybe you have drugs or weapons on you....Maybe in some instances(personal experience) you didnt do anything and you know this cop and what his reputation is...consider this...growing up, we all "KNEW" the cops...we had nicknames for them, we knew their reputations. We called one "Carl Lewis" because he would sit on the hood of the car while his partner cruised the streets and when he saw you, he would jump off the hood and run after you...he was pretty fast. Then we had THIS guy who made the news recently:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-police-officer-arrested-by-federal-agents/32237590

This guy would pull you over, no reason, what ever money, loose change you had, he would take you. Then arrest you and you had to sit around and guess what you were arrested for until you faced a judge...it was like a game show. The cops in these areas know everyone on a first name basis...they know your family and the more they "Jump out" on you and find nothing...the more irrated they get..that's when the beating's drug planting and all the extra stuff takes place...they want to make your live miserable.

Now...if you break your spine by running and falling...pretty much your fault. But if they beat the ish out of you because you ran, that's not justified....running should not be a death sentence.

Again, In my opinion the issue that needs to be addresed is WHY we run, and realize that the interaction between cops and civillians is different in different areas...like I say, I considered myself a good kid, but based on where I lived.....I was always treated like a suspect first. When you're constantly treated like a suspect, you lose respect for the cops...not saying it's right, but it's a reality. Not everyone in the "Hood" is a bad person, but we're all guilty until proven innocent. Growing up there were some cops you knew to run from and then there were some cops you were happy to see. Thetragichippy, I don't know you from Bob, but you seem like a cool guy but I'm willing to bet if you and me were pulled over for the exact same thing...the interaction would be totally different. Because of my past dealing with bad cops...I'm going to be nervous and sweaty......they will probably approach my car cautiously, hand on weapon because of my appearance making things uneasy for both of us.....you can probaly say things to the cop that I can't say lol...that's just the way it is...it's a reality but as long as we try to pretend that these things don't  happen, we will alway be at odds.

This was a good post. I like post that make me think......and you are a very good communicator

First...it was an pre exsisting injury from a car accident.....LIE

Next....he did it to himself banging in the van.....LIE

"Breaking News: Thugs looting CVS in Baltimore"

Love it.

$10 that HIS criminal history is brought into play now.

Oh you know it! ;)

The problem now is going to be finding 12 objective jurors in Baltimore who haven't been heavily indoctrinated by media bias ..

Oh you know it! ;)

The problem now is going to be finding 12 objective jurors in Baltimore who haven't been heavily indoctrinated by media bias ..

I think the problem is going to be convicting all 6 as charged.  They are charging one with 2nd degree murder. The rest with manslaughter and lesser crimes.  If they can prove the driver drove recklessly and caused the death, then manslaughter will probably stick. I'm not sure all 6 can be charged when only one may have killed him.

I think the problem is going to be convicting all 6 as charged.  They are charging one with 2nd degree murder. The rest with manslaughter and lesser crimes.  If they can prove the driver drove recklessly and caused the death, then manslaughter will probably stick. I'm not sure all 6 can be charged when only one may have killed him.

I agree. Read the article I posted about one of the relatives of one officer, its enlightening, tells me he aint trying to go down with the guy or guys who did this. 

Running is not a capital offense. You are defending possible murderers . Smh

I dont think anyone is really defending them. 

I have a question about something that just came to light to me: if you have had past incidents with a certain cop or cops, that have supposedly beat your arse before, and are just randomly staring you down on their bikes would you run out of fear of that happening again or stay and hope nothing happens?