NCAA Tournament Seed

Coach85

Please help me understand why a play in team is playing for an 11 seed. My feeling is, if you have to play to get in to the tournament you should automatically play for a 16 seed.

They're doing that because the bubble teams that are playing in for an 11-seed are infinitely better than the teams getting 16-seeds. It wouldn't be fair for a #1 seed to have to play a Dayton or boise st as a 16 in their first game.

Not trying to start an argument. Then why were they not in the tournament to begin with?

They took the four worst 16-seeds and made them play for two spots, and took the four best bubble teams and had them play for two spots. I guess it's an effort to improve the quality of teams in the tourney. In the old day your two winners of the bubble games are in the NIT, and two of your 16-seeds are 15-seeds. This way I guess they've found a way for a couple of additional teams with reasonable arguments to be in the tourney to get a chance to make it.

Not trying to start an argument. Then why were they not in the tournament to begin with?

I think when you're talking about the last 5 in and the last 5 out, it's pretty close as to who deserves to make it and who does it, and this gives some of those teams who would've been left out a chance.