Unbeatable teams who were beaten

Gilmer IS NOT unbeatable. We should not even talk about them in this category. Like LaGrange, they spank teams that don't match up with them. Again, like Lagrange, when they've played teams who can match up, they've had close calls. Tatum, who lost to HJ, took them to OT if I'm not mistaken. Gladewater, had them beat, with a kid running free down the sideline and slides down thinking he needed to make sure he didn't stop the clock, but he had a TD and the game would have been over. Yes, Gilmer won those games like good teams do, but so had LG until they ran into the Stangs.

I am not from Gilmer but I was at both games you mentioned. Gilmer beat Tatum in regulation. They led Tatum 27-7 at half Gilmer turned it over 3 times in the second half and that is how Tatum got back in the game. It was early in the year and Gilmer is playing at a much higher level right now. Tatum was a very good team by the way. Don't kid yourself. Ask Newton? The Gladewater game was amazing. Gladewater would be the State Champ is they didn't play Gilmer. They have the best running game in all of 4A and a very stout defense. Gilmer found a way and that is what great teams do.
I have seen several Gilmer and WOS teams over the years. Have not seen WOS this year. However, if Gilmer DOESNT turn the ball over they will win. This is the most explosive team they have had in the Traylor era. WOS may have a few guys that can run with Gilmer but you WILL NOT MATCH their overall team speed. WOS can win if they produce turnovers because it is the great equalizer. If both teams play a clean game I don't see Gilmer getting beat. Best of luck to both teams. I can't wait to see this game.

Doesn't mean they would've done it to Kirbyville. We've beaten Carthage before when they were 'unbeatable'. Too bad we didn't get the chance that year..

No, you beat them when they were beatable

I am not from Gilmer but I was at both games you mentioned. Gilmer beat Tatum in regulation. They led Tatum 27-7 at half Gilmer turned it over 3 times in the second half and that is how Tatum got back in the game. It was early in the year and Gilmer is playing at a much higher level right now. Tatum was a very good team by the way. Don't kid yourself. Ask Newton? The Gladewater game was amazing. Gladewater would be the State Champ is they didn't play Gilmer. They have the best running game in all of 4A and a very stout defense. Gilmer found a way and that is what great teams do.
I have seen several Gilmer and WOS teams over the years. Have not seen WOS this year. However, if Gilmer DOESNT turn the ball over they will win. This is the most explosive team they have had in the Traylor era. WOS may have a few guys that can run with Gilmer but you WILL NOT MATCH their overall team speed. WOS can win if they produce turnovers because it is the great equalizer. If both teams play a clean game I don't see Gilmer getting beat. Best of luck to both teams. I can't wait to see this game.

You're making some huge assumptions here, especially for a team you've not seen play. The most of which is that we can't match their overall speed. 

From personal knowledge, the 1991 WB Bruin football team made of numerous NFL players and college players steam rolled through the regular season beating WOS, who was #1 in 4a, highly touted 5a Yates, Deer Park, La Porte, and Leland Mcelroy Central team. I think going into the playoffs we were #4 in the state and top 20 nationally. Everyone got the big head and we got beat by Aldine McArthur in the playoffs. There were alot of folks predicting atleast a title game. Didn't happen.

I was at that game with Aldine Mac. Mac had a RB with the last name of Harper. Ran straight up and I thought WB was going to kill him. They just never could get it going in that game. I was so disappointed that they lost in the first round.

Did you just say that tou haven't seen WOS this year but there is no way they can match Gilmers team speed? Maybe you should watch some film then. We're not exactly slow. I don't even know why we are going to Dallas. Accourding to all the new posters, well get run out of the building.

He's right guys. Give it up. The Stangs besides Deionte are slow and not in good shape. Speed has been the problem every single year for WOS. Why dont the best athletes at the high school play football? It's over. Crown em

Lol. We've always been big and slow. ;)

He's right guys. Give it up. The Stangs besides Deionte are slow and not in good shape. Speed has been the problem every single year for WOS. Why dont the best athletes at the high school play football? It's over. Crown em

I haven't seen one person accuse WOS of being slow. Actually quite the opposite. I did see a WOS poster say Gilmer's line was big and slow. Don't know what team he was watching, Gilmer's line is smaller to average on size but very quick.

its the aassumption he said we can't match their speed when he hasn't even seen us. IMO speed does not determine the winner of this game mistakes will.

That wasn't an assumption. That was after watching some film on Hudl. And you are right speed doesn't determine the winner. I said the same thing. If Gilmer doesn't turn it over they will win. You may get a couple of stops but I don't think you hold them under 40. If you do you will be the first and I will eat some crow and congratulate you. Admit my sins.
If you lose or can't match the speed you come back here and admit it afterwards. Deal?

That wasn't an assumption. That was after watching some film on Hudl. And you are right speed doesn't determine the winner. I said the same thing. If Gilmer doesn't turn it over they will win. You may get a couple of stops but I don't think you hold them under 40. If you do you will be the first and I will eat some crow and congratulate you. Admit my sins.
If you lose or can't match the speed you come back here and admit it afterwards. Deal?

We aren't those type of fans. We give our opponent the credit the deserve if we lose.I will tell you this though. Our kids are the type that will fight and fight some more even if their backs are against the wall.I Gilmer goes up a little bit they better not get stagnant.

The reference to WO-S' 1988 team is still a good one. Hadn't lost to a 4A opponent since the infamous home loss to Jasper in '86 before returning the favor in the playoffs.

And Paris was a Cinderella team with three losses. Couldn't imagine WO-S wasn't the overwhelming favorite to win a third straight title.

Im not sure why I was thinking they were undefeated that year. Anyways, you are right. Going into that game everyone was talking about us and our unbelievable run the prior years. There was no way that WOS would lose.......sounds like Gilmer this year.

I believe the running back for alone macarrhur was Damien vallery. Very upright runner add you mentioned but also good straight line speed.

West brook got beat by eisenhower in the first round of the playoffs one year as the number one team in the state. Before anyone knew who eisenhower even was back then.

OK, don't know why I was thinking Harper but I'm sure it's the same guy. Fast as heck but ran straight up.

I haven't seen one person accuse WOS of being slow. Actually quite the opposite. I did see a WOS poster say Gilmer's line was big and slow. Don't know what team he was watching, Gilmer's line is smaller to average on size but very quick.

That copy and pasted comment came from Smoaky because I read it before she put it over here.

I believe the running back for alone macarrhur was Damien vallery. Very upright runner add you mentioned but also good straight line speed.

West brook got beat by eisenhower in the first round of the playoffs one year as the number one team in the state. Before anyone knew who eisenhower even was back then.

Your right on Vallery. He was a move in from Louisiana and we couldn't stop him. The next year, football season of 92 WB lost again first round to Eisenhower when James Brown was a Sr.