Sad

MoFo

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it just again shows the lack of Family structure in the inner city. Lots of times the family is non existent.

I agree with the family structure.

I've been coaching summer ball for over 30 years. Early part it would be rare to have divorced parent or single parent. But what I've noticed now in our area is that attendance actually is up with parents because the kids have two sets and that brings out more people.

Great comments everyone, some of  these kids basically live in low income apartments, where their families often ride city buses to commute back and forth to work and home. These kids have a different life style than our kids back home, oftentimes they have to worry about gang activity, many drop-outs, and lack of school funds to support extra activities, I'm amazed  that they still have a football program. I can understand why many of their parents did not attend the ball game last night, and mostly it's due to financial reasons.

Im actually appalled by some of the comments.
I guess its just not good enough doing what you have to do as a parent to pay rent/mortgage , keep the lights/gas on , and put food on the table.
How about some if you visit the areas in the daytime (Antoine , Kashmere Gardens, Sunnyside) that sight would deter most from going at night, then see these kids and their parents reality and not what you think it should be.
These people shouldnt be relegated to being the scourge of humanity for not attending a football game.....LIFE happens.....we all dont get the same dose.

Great comments everyone, some of these kids basically live in low income apartments, where their families often ride city buses to commute back and forth to work and home. These kids have a different life style than our kids back home, oftentimes they have to worry about gang activity, many drop-outs, and lack of school funds to support extra activities, I'm amazed that they still have a football program. I can understand why many of their parents did not attend the ball game last night, and mostly it's due to financial reasons.

I disagree to a point, yes some parents can not make it due to finances, but I would be willing to bet 85% of those parents that could not find a ride to the game their child was playing in found a ride to a liquor store, out to eat, night club, bar, or to grocery store. I see it all the time they have no problem finding transportation to something that is vital or beneficial to them

Im actually appalled by some of the comments.
I guess its just not good enough doing what you have to do as a parent to pay rent/mortgage , keep the lights/gas on , and put food on the table.
How about some if you visit the areas in the daytime (Antoine , Kashmere Gardens, Sunnyside) that sight would deter most from going at night, then see these kids and their parents reality and not what you think it should be.
These people shouldnt be relegated to being the scourge of humanity for not attending a football game.....LIFE happens.....we all dont get the same dose.

Sorry to sound blunt but if you can't raise a child don't have a child. I don't have to visit the area they live in, I lived it. It cost you NOTHING to show love and be there to support to a child, nothing but time

MoFo

I disagree to a point, yes some parents can not make it due to finances, but I would be willing to bet 85% of those parents that could not find a ride to the game their child was playing in found a ride to a liquor store, out to eat, night club, bar, or to grocery store. I see it all the time they have no problem finding transportation to something that is vital or beneficial to them.

Everyone has an opinion, I know the area ! Not all parents drink and carry on like you expressed, they actually do work, and have jobs. The area has lots of businesses that get robbed at any moment, during school hours these kids may be on lock down at anytime. I don't care to judge anyone's household if I do not live there!!! But I have worked in this area and know teachers who work there. So far as for this statement, I have nothing to say about that, you can have it all by yourself!I see it all the time they have no problem finding transportation to something that is vital or beneficial to them. 

[quote name="MoFo" post="1585490" timestamp="1415999034"]

Like I said Ladybug I have lived it and I will stand my ground on it cost NOTHING to love and care about a child. You hear everyday about these pro athletes that came from the most poverty stricken areas in the US and you hear them talk about a mom, dad, or grandparent that was always there for them[/quote
Mostly it was mom or grandma

Absolutely I have worked in many areas here in Houston and I could tell you stories that would make most people on this site sick to their stomach, but those of use who do and have worked with kids do so because we care, and want to make a difference in their lives. I have a soft spot for these kids, and i really wish for everyone to know that they are good kids and the majority of them have good parents who do care about them. There is nothing wrong with standing your ground, if your ground has a solid base of it's own.

Part of the problem in some areas that doesn't even exist in SETX really is the stadiums and arenas aren't on campus. I vividly remember in the 80s going to WB playing Central at Lamar and that game outdrew the LU game the next day. This year living in Baytown which has one stadium and it's not a highly populated area, but I know for instance this year Nederland had a much bigger crowd on their side vs Lee and Lee was the home team. And also remember though some games are on Thursday which is still a school night so many up even if they have the means to attend may not be allowed to because of school the following day. I think on campus stadiums would do a lot more for campus morale and student support than the college type facilities of some places. But it's all about $, I don't know if Scar plays on an on campus or not but I bet no.

Their are kids at Wos who have parents who don't come support their kids, (due to better things to do)  and the community knows which kids these are and make a effort to show support to these kids that someone is there for them. How is it that not only parents not show up but none of the community, band or cheerleaders show up.. doesn't sound right to me.

Like I said Ladybug
MoFo
your method and delivery is not Utilitarianism enough for the Ladybug. :rolleyes:

You can throw your phsyc. 101 words at it all you want fact is these are kids that come from a long family cycle of parents being "me first" people. There may be a few (very few) parents that truly cannot make the game but I would be willing to bet my house that it is not the majority. I know me as well as 98% of the other posters on this site if asked by another child's parent for a ride to a game would not hesitate to give them one.
You can not convince me that out of the 45-50 players Worthing had on the team last night only about 20 fans could afford or have the time off from work to get to the game

It's not physc. at all it's ethics. I know me as well as 98% of the other posters on this site if asked by another child's parent for a ride to a game would not hesitate to give them one. (Cool).You can not convince me (that would be a waste of my time). I let people think and act for themselves, especially if they are over 40 years of age like I am.

Savant19- Sorry you are appalled! I don't think anyone meant any of their comments to be offensive. As parents that want to be involved with our kids, we look around and think why would others not? Plus in all honesty, we as parents are hurt for those kids. You have to work, I completely understand but I don't think every single person is working every single time there is a game or school event going on. Besides, I am a firm believer in breaking the cycle and not using hardships as a crutch for how your life is. it is like people that say, for example I was beat as a child and that is their reasoning behind beating on someone. At some point people have to change their way of thinking and behaving. Again, I understand that people work, I miss some things because of work but if we are being 100% honest all of those people are not working every single time. Love is free!