West Orange-Stark 42 Hardin-Jefferson 21/Final

WOSgrad

Just for the record.......several members of the media were right there and said the ref blew the call on the punt with less than a 1:36 left in the half.  This was a huge turning point in the game.  HJ was going to run 3 plays and the half would have ended with WOS up 14-7.  Instead HJ goes in down 20-7.  Not saying the result was going to be any different, but the momentum had swung back in WOS favor.

Last points about how weak that crew is:
Officials should not have to "huddle" on the majority of calls. Tell the Ref what your call is and let him signal it unless another has a strong opinion on why you missed a call.
Officials should not allow the offending team's coach a 2-5 minute conference with you when you make a call. I COMPLETELY understand on the punt call but there were a few other occasions where this happened.
That crew needs to be moved to Tuesdays and Thursdays for the remainder of the season.

I agree...they changed the game no doubt..hard to beat a good football team and the refs

This is my take on this game, and before I make it let me say it's my last post on this thread until tomorrow, so don't get mad if you respond and I don't. WOS was the better team tonight, but not by a whole lot. They looked like they were going to run away with it early, then HJ dominated the 2nd quarter and should've went into the half down one score. A ref trying to impact the game made a call that looked bad to me, and that dberry has said was wrong after seeing the tape that allowed WOS to score completely against the momentum of the game. Down 21-7 is a lot different than 14-7 when you run a slow offense AND you're playing a great defense. HJ fought back and cut it to a score, at which point it should've been tied. The WOS scores and goes up two scores, which should've been one. HJ throws a pick with 8 or so minutes to go that leads to a very short field and a score. This doesn't happen if they're down one score. Guarantee it. There's no way to know what would've actually happened. Maybe they punt and then WOS scores anyway? No clue. HJ is then out of sorts and fumbles and WOS scores again. At this point it was over anyway. HJ isn't the type of team that's going to score two or three times in 7 minutes. All this to say, there's no way of knowing how the play at the end of the 2nd quarter affected the game. But it absolutely made an impact. Honestly, I think WOS wins. But no way do I believe it's 21 points, or even the 14 it is if you just subtract the bogus TD to end the second half. They out gained the hawks by what, 60 yards? The refs were absolutely awful, both ways, no bones about it. But HJ got victimized on the one call that I think all but ended any chance they had to win. Review- WOS was the better team. I'm not butt hurt about the loss. I AM butt hurt about the call that completely screwed HJs gameplan and momentum. And no way was WOS 21 points better. Sorry if I got grumpy on here with anyone. Hard to see the hawks play so well to get back into that game and then endure a call that totally puts them back in the hole they'd just scratched and clawed their way out of.

I completely disagree with you, I believe they are more than 21 points better. The refs kept it that way. So yes, the refs were bad but I think it made the score closer.

No excuses. Refs were bad both ways. WOS was the better team. They made the plays when they needed them, like converting a 3rd and 35!
HJ hung for awhile but faultered ate, you know when it was 20-14 you weren't quite sure if you could pull away. But, you did, congrats and hope to see you in the state quarterfinals!

Just for the record.......several members of the media were right there and said the ref blew the call on the punt with less than a 1:36 left in the half. This was a huge turning point in the game. HJ was going to run 3 plays and the half would have ended with WOS up 14-7. Instead HJ goes in down 20-7. Not saying the result was going to be any different, but the momentum had swung back in WOS favor.

Based on the explanation given (where the ref who made the call didn't even know who was punting based on that explanation), I'm not surprised it wasn't touched. Based on past performance, they had no business calling a game of this magnitude.

I completely disagree with you, I believe they are more than 21 points better. The refs kept it that way. So yes, the refs were bad but I think it made the score closer.

You took the words right out of my mouth. HJ is one dimensional. You will never beat WOS like that.

I wasn't at this game but was at the WOS-PNG game that had the same crew and they were horrible then. I see they didn't get any better. Stelly and Kimbrough on KOGT were totally confuesd at what they were doing out there and there two of the better announcers around.

Exactly. And Kimbrough is hesitant to criticize officials since he called a lot of games over the years. And he was all over those guys on calls made both ways.

Based on the explanation given (where the ref who made the call didn't even know who was punting based on that explanation), I'm not surprised it wasn't touched. Based on past performance, they had no business calling a game of this magnitude.

Not only was it not touched, there was not a HJ player within 5 yards of the ball

I agree that was a huge call and even the broadcasters weren't sure what was happening. They said they didn't know whether it was correct or not and that either way it was handled very poorly. One thing I will say is that not only did one official think the ball was touched but by what the broadcasters said two Mustangs did as well, otherwise they wouldn't have been struggling to get the ball. I wasn't there and haven't seen a replay so I have no idea, either way it is a shame that a play that was so big in a game of this caliber was handled so poorly. I can definately agree it changed the way HJ had to play. I had this game beforehand really being won in the first half and that's what happened. That two touchdown lead was huge. If HJ could have trailed by only a score, I would have felt they won the half in my eyes giving themselves a good chance especially receiving that second half kick.

Sounds like ahuge bad call, but I have seen or heard some different views of the same play. I have had accounts that it was close to an HJ player if not touched and others saying no one was close. How can an official not know who is punting?? That is one part that really gets me.

Exactly.

I keep seeing people talk about a punt that cost HJ the game. Hmmmm y'all lost by 3 touchdowns.

HJ goes into the half down 14-7 before that call.
After it's 20-7 going into half. HJ got the ball after halftime and should have only been down one score.
HJ had the momentum until that call.
Outcome may have been same, but it was a HUGE call.