Dove, I am wondering

stevenash

You and I recently discussed whether or not the Pro Football team in Washington should have to change its name.  You felt as though it would be the appropriate thing to do because some Indians found the name offensive.  Could I get your take on this situation, please? I am a Christian and I( confident there are plenty of Christians who might feel the same) am "offended" that the New Orleans franchise calls it team the "Saints".  These players are out trying to hurt people on a daily basis and put winning above everything else.  Both of these characteristics run counter to the description and intent of a Saint.  Is it time to demand that they change their name as well?

You and I recently discussed whether or not the Pro Football team in Washington should have to change its name.  You felt as though it would be the appropriate thing to do because some Indians found the name offensive.  Could I get your take on this situation, please? I am a Christian and I( confident there are plenty of Christians who might feel the same) am "offended" that the New Orleans franchise calls it team the "Saints".  These players are out trying to hurt people on a daily basis and put winning above everything else.  Both of these characteristics run counter to the description and intent of a Saint.  Is it time to demand that they change their name as well?

I don't think so. Lets keep the name "Saints." As you say, these people are out to hurt people and win at all cost. Coming from a biblical perspective, we should embrace this team and pray for them.  Jesus didn't wait for the sinners to come to him, he went out into the flock of sinners. And maybe having a name like this is good for the sinful city. Keeps a Godly presence around.

Saints is not an ethnic descriptor. If they were the New Orleans Ghostfaces I'd give your argument a little more credence, although i have to admit, I would be the first in line to buy a New Orleans Ghostface jersey.

And a term describing the color of ones skin is harmful?

How would you feel if the team in Houston was called the houston crackers

No worse than you would feel if the called them the Houston _______ .  Note the political correctness.  Isnt it interesting that you can use a racially derogatory term and it is seemingly alright but if I had filled in the blanks, I would be crucified, fired from my job and sent to "sensitivity training"

No worse than you would feel if the called them the Houston _______ .  Note the political correctness.  Isnt it interesting that you can use a racially derogatory term and it is seemingly alright but if I had filled in the blanks, I would be crucified, fired from my job and sent to "sensitivity training"

If fired from your job, would you still attend sensitivity training?

And a term describing the color of ones skin is harmful?

It is if those referred to by it are offended. The N word is derived from Negro, which was derived from the Spanish term negro which means black. So although "negro" is a discriptive term for someone's skin color, you're going to have a hard time using it without it being "harmful" in today's society.

I was referring to the word that describes a skin color as red.

i understand this. the point being, if a descriptive term for darker skin color is deemed offensive, it's not exactly a stretch to believe those who claim the term for red skin is offensive to them.