gun free zones!

why do you register your cars? What is the need for that?

So the state can regulate what vehicles are driving on their roads so that they can pay for those roads. Roads are expensive and everyone gets to pay his fair share. It has nothing to do with deterring crime which is your claim for gun registration. 

What is expensive of me owning a gun that the government has to pay for? To my knowledge the government gives me nothing to enhance my gun ownership but they do enhance the way I travel in my car but providing roadways. 

The gun vs. vehicle argument is a smoke screen. 

So the state can regulate what vehicles are driving on their roads so that they can pay for those roads. Roads are expensive and everyone gets to pay his fair share. It has nothing to do with deterring crime which is your claim for gun registration.

What is expensive of me owning a gun that the government has to pay for? To my knowledge the government gives me nothing to enhance my gun ownership but they do enhance the way I travel in my car but providing roadways.

The gun vs. vehicle argument is a smoke screen.

are you okay with that type of regulation? Republicans appear to abhor any form.

Yes it does. It gives big brother more information so he can decide who the IRS needs to "investigate" next.

I thought that registering guns assists police officers in apprehending criminals, maybe I watch too many crime shows. I have seen cases where they were able to track down a person based on who the gun was registered to.

I thought that registering guns assists police officers in apprehending criminals, maybe I watch too many crime shows. I have seen cases where they were able to track down a person based on who the gun was registered to.

If a criminal uses a gun registered in his own name to commit a crime, he probably decided to post a picture of himself committing the crime on Facebook as well.  I wonder who he may have voted for in the Presidential elections?

I have been a police officer for 31 years and do not remember a single case where a gun registration would have helped.

Some criminals are not that bright. It could happen. They throw guns in lakes, rivers etc.

Yes they do. I worked a case where I recovered a firearm from a homicide from local canal when I called in a DPS dive team from Austin. Like every case that I am aware of (including at least one more from my agency) a suspect led us to the weapon. Out of the hundreds os square miles of water in this and most areas, the police don't simply start searching random bodies of water or anywhere else.