WOS relationship with Texas

The scholarship was pulled. But Strong says he has to earn it back under the new staff. They are still recruiting him pretty heavily, according to orangebloods.com.

So did Strong pull all of Mack's offers or 2015? or just some?  Do all 2015+ recruits have to "EARN BACK" their scholly offers? this will not go well n the recruiting world!

So did Strong pull all of Mack's offers or 2015? or just some?  Do all 2015+ recruits have to "EARN BACK" their scholly offers? this will not go well n the recruiting world!

It was just some. Some due to grades, etc. Johnny Shaw could be a great talent but he could not start at WOS last year for chunks of the season. While I don't like the timing of it I understand why they did it. 

So did Strong pull all of Mack's offers or 2015? or just some? Do all 2015+ recruits have to "EARN BACK" their scholly offers? this will not go well n the recruiting world!

Actually, when you look at it from a "Texas" standpoint instead of a local fans, it was something they had to do. You can't offer a full athletic scharship to a kid that you aren't absolutely positive on. I agree that he's a great athlete, but me, as well as the Texas staff, aren't completely sure that he will be able to contribute to the team. That's why they've told him he needs to prove it to them. When and if he does that, he will get the scholarship he deserves. He's a great kid and a great football player. But when there are limits on how many scholarships you can hand out, coaches are very careful and concise when picking out recipients for these scholarships. Not everyone will be happy about it, but that's college football. By the way, Charlie didn't offer a scholarship to Shaw. Coach Brown did. When Charlie was evaluating his commitments, he decided to pull the scholarship because he wasn't 100% sure that Shaw could contribute as well as he needs him to.

You don't want to burn bridges with HS coaches in this state, period, and if in fact Strong is doing that then he wont be at UT very long that's for damn sure.

The thing about Shaw to me is that he didn't see the field alot last season from what I saw, maybe WO-S had a better player in his position, WO-S is 3X or more a step above playing for Center HS. Hopefully he balls out this year. And if Strong keeps pulling schollys you know who will benefit from it: not so much A&M but Texas Tech and Baylor will. Watch.

I agree that you don't want to burn bridges...but how is it the fault of coach strong? He has to put his own spin on what is now his recruiting class. It would be different if Mack were still there and pulled it. But in today's world of win now attitude in bigtime college athletics, if Strong didnt see Shaw capable of playing and contributing for Texas I don't see a major problem with it. He has the right to evaluate kids and do as he feels best for his program.

Problem in Texas is if you burn a bridge with WO-S, there are going to be a lot more fires burning around the state. Those guys talk a lot more than we all probably think they do.

let's not get carried away here.  west orange stark has some very good athletes but the university of texas and coach strong are not worried about what people from west orange stark think.  its the university of texas for goodness sake.  recruits come to them more than they search for recruits. 

i looked at the longhorns current roster.  here are some numbers:

98 players on the roster

83 from the state of texas

1 from the golden triangle (2 if you count cleveland, texas as part of the triangle)

0 from west orange stark

hell, theres a player from scotland and from saudi arabia on the roster.

no disrespect meant to the players or coaches west orange stark, but the texas longhorns and coach strong will be just fine with or without west orange stark.

[NIt te n!ame="pickle" post="1483493" timestamp="1397831162"]

let's not get carried away here. west orange stark has some very good athletes but the university of texas and coach strong are not worried about what people from west orange stark think. its the university of texas for goodness sake. recruits come to them more than they search for recruits.

i looked at the longhorns current roster. here are some numbers:

98 players on the roster

1 from the golden triangle (2 if you count cleveland, texas as part of the triangle)

0 from west orange stark

no disrespect meant to the players or coaches west orange stark, but the texas longhorns and coach strong will be just fine with or without west orange stark.[/quote]

It seems like everyone else is making a big deal of these Not WOS..

Well, you can see what started this topic, a maroon headed step child of Texas!! Offers are pulled all the time all over the nation for all kinds of situations. If you can contribute on the field and in the class room and be a stand up person, that's what any college like. If you can't get into a big college, go to a smaller one shine there and then try.

Ummm no matter this convo or not ut wouldnt like having a terrible relationship with wos. They pump out D1 guys every year and the last one they sent to UT just won a super bowl and is one of the top 5 defensive players in nfl. Thats not including all earl did at UT. WOS is one of those schools i bet UT coaches call each year just to see who they have

Ummm no matter this convo or not ut wouldnt like having a terrible relationship with wos. They pump out D1 guys every year and the last one they sent to UT just won a super bowl and is one of the top 5 defensive players in nfl. Thats not including all earl did at UT. WOS is one of those schools i bet UT coaches call each year just to see who they have

And every other school? Lol I've seen a Texas recruiter at Woodville before. Do you think they've sent any at all to Texas? None that I know of. lol Texas does a great job recruiting smaller schools usually. And they do care about their relationship with WOS but not to the point that they'll keep a player on the roster who they don't believe should be on scholarship.

I wouldn't worry too much about UT with WOS.  There is this guy...he lives in Orange...he is probably UT's best recruiter here...he played in a Super Bowl or something...he is around WOS all the time...I hear the kids put more stock in his say than just about anyone they know...

Translation of above:  UT will be fine with WOS players.  It's the rest of the schools in this State I might worry about.

I'm selling this thread.... WOS has a great tradition...NO DOUBT...But UT is not losing sleep here.  HS coaches are more worried about one of their kids burning a college coach and hurting their reputation with that college, than the other way around

let's not get carried away here. west orange stark has some very good athletes but the university of texas and coach strong are not worried about what people from west orange stark think. its the university of texas for goodness sake. recruits come to them more than they search for recruits.

i looked at the longhorns current roster. here are some numbers:

98 players on the roster

0 from west orange stark

no disrespect meant to the players or coaches west orange stark, but the texas longhorns and coach strong will be just fine with or without west orange stark.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This post is the most logical on this thread...

I think some people are not looking at another possible angle here. Coach Strong has some interesting but proven motivation tools. Maybe he did this to get the kid to man up and become the player he should be. Might have every intention to sign the kid but decided to use some tough love to get him motivated. Just an opinion, but could be a reason. Heck, he wont even let his current team show the hookem sign until they prove to him they are worthy of Longhorn football. Even the starters.

I think people here are missing the obvious. First of all, Strong never offered Shaw so he had every right to pull the offer, just like he did on Aaron Garza who's a lot more sought after than Shaw. Second, put the film on. Last year texas signed John Bonney who I had right behind Paris and Adams as the 3rd best safety in the state, they also signed Kevin Shorter who if healthy will play safety, and another safety in Jason hall. This year the Horns have commitments from Deshon Elliot who is a safety now but might end up at OLB, Kirk Johnson who's a rb right now but I expect to move to safety, and Keivon Ramsey who's listed as a corner but is really a guided missle with a helment that will also probably play safety. As bad as it sounds to say, Shaw just isn't needed anymore and probably wouldn't play at Texas in front of most of these guys.