20-4A Scores Round 14

I have heard two possible scenarios for determining 4th place:

1. There will be two games.  Two play and the winner of that game plays the third to see who advances.

2. The teams will be seed by run differential.  Teams 3 is eliminated and teams 1 and 2 play one game and winner advances.

Scenario 1 makes perfect sense and is consistent with the 2-way tie scenario between PNG and Livingston 2 years ago.  Scenario 2 seems like a contradiction and the #3 team will feel slighted.

We will find out.

Congrats to my Lady Bears on a good season and good win tonight.  Hope Russell was strong yet again on the mound and Taylor Fracc and Kayla Manuel went deep for the Bears.  Looking forward to the play-offs.

Great season by the Lady Pirates and congrats on the DC.  Expecting them to make some noise in the play-offs this year.  Good luck.

I heard lumberton is fourth playoff spot because head to head being all tied, and the next tie breaker was runs scored. Lumberton 19, Livingston 13 and Png 12

Let's hope not.  Runs scored is a ridiculous tiebreaking method.  If it was Runs allowed, then Lumberton would be last with that method.  Is a team that wins games by a score of 4-3 better than a team that wins games by a score of 3-2?   Of course not?   All 3 teams are 1-1 against each other.  The fairest way is Fracc's scenario #1 referred to above.  Draw to see who gets the bye, and then play 2 games to decide the 4th spot.  Settle it on the field.

Coach Lemoine said the 3 way tie was decided by run differential knocking PNG out. She then said Livingston and Lumberton are tied so they would have a play-in game. Haven't heard back from either coach.

Funny because Coach Lemoine told her girls today at PRACTICE that she had not heard back from the District yet on the ruling. If any one is eliminated on runs or rundifferential and not via an actually loss then this district will have set a poor example.
Poll the coaches and you will find out that they think it should be played out. Hell use run differential to determine who gets the playin game bye even.

It's usually predetermined. The problem is sometimes a district only defines the first or second tiebreaker. After that it's up in the air. Another issue arises when something is not clearly defined. In this case it could be the run differential definition of what games to use. I haven't seen the actual wording they use so I'm not sure. Especially with it being softball where pitching isn't as much of an issue I don't see why they don't play it out in a 3-team single elimination tournament. You could even flip for the bye in that tournament.