Video shows BISD officer break up fight, student's arm

thetragichippy

I leave for a couple months and you guys start slacking :P

I figured there would be at least 12 pages of comments.....

I watched the video and I support the cop. While it looks bad, I don't feel the officer did it intentionally. I think he was just trying to put cuffs on the kid. If he would of complied to the officers request, he would be fine....

TVC, you agree?

Anyone?

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Video-shows-BISD-officer-break-up-fight-5328176.php#item-28135

I leave for a couple months and you guys start slacking :P

I figured there would be at least 12 pages of comments.....

I watched the video and I support the cop. While it looks bad, I don't feel the officer did it intentionally. I think he was just trying to put cuffs on the kid. If he would of complied to the officers request, he would be fine....

TVC, you agree?

Anyone?

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Video-shows-BISD-officer-break-up-fight-5328176.php#item-28135

I agree that force never looks pretty. There is no way to shoot someone, hit someone with a baton, slam someone on the ground, etc., without it looking bad. 

This case looks bad because to me it appears that he pushed his arm in the wrong direction. Was it on purposes? 

I can't tell.

I know the TX law on that says that you "Intentionally" committed the act. Even under TX murder law, if you only "knowingly" kill someone (meaning no intent but you knew that it was possible), it is still murder. It takes no "intent" to kill, only that your act was dangerous. In the law on use of force, it takes an "intentional" act and merely knowing that such a result might happen is not a crime. 

Inflicting pain is a part of taught use of force. After all, what is hitting someone, striking with a baton, using a Taser or using pepper spray than inflicting intentional pain? 

With that in mind, did this officer intentionally break the arm or was he inflicting pain or trying to gain control over him and the arm broke? 

I don't know. I know that it doesn't look good but I also would hate to be in that position because I have cranked on people's arms to get them to give up and have never broken one. 

So if schools need police to keep the order to begin with then one must ask how safe and mow much learning is there to begin with. 

Many or most districts have abdicated their control of campuses from the ISD to the local cops, whether it is a district PD or the local PD that is contracted to come in. 

It has become so rampant that the state just passed a law curtailing much of that action and stopped the police from doing routine school punishments at the request of the district. 

I agree that force never looks pretty. There is no way to shoot someone, hit someone with a baton, slam someone on the ground, etc., without it looking bad.

This case looks bad because to me it appears that he pushed his arm in the wrong direction. Was it on purposes?

I can't tell.

I know the TX law on that says that you "Intentionally" committed the act. Even under TX murder law, if you only "knowingly" kill someone (meaning no intent but you knew that it was possible), it is still murder. It takes no "intent" to kill, only that your act was dangerous. In the law on use of force, it takes an "intentional" act and merely knowing that such a result might happen is not a crime.

Inflicting pain is a part of taught use of force. After all, what is hitting someone, striking with a baton, using a Taser or using pepper spray than inflicting intentional pain?

With that in mind, did this officer intentionally break the arm or was he inflicting pain or trying to gain control over him and the arm broke?

I don't know. I know that it doesn't look good but I also would hate to be in that position because I have cranked on people's arms to get them to give up and have never broken one.

Sorry, but I rule in favor of the officer. Kids need to respect authority. They also need to ban cell phones in schools.

I'm guilty of letting my 13yo bring his cell phone to school. It's beentaken up once and cost me $15.00. He an A-B student (pretty good during puberty) and I like the fact I can contact him if I want.....and he likes to text me his lunch order on Fridays.....

• 3 months later...

Jefferson County grand jury votes to take no action in connection with officer involved West Brook incident

http://kfdm.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/kfdm_jefferson-county-grand-jury-votes-take-no-action-connection-officer-involved-west-brook-incident-10593.shtml

I had forgotten about this.

I'm guilty of letting my 13yo bring his cell phone to school. It's beentaken up once and cost me $15.00. He an A-B student (pretty good during puberty) and I like the fact I can contact him if I want.....and he likes to text me his lunch order on Fridays.....

Take his lunch order on Fridays? smh!! Parenting 101 in the 21st century........  :D

Take his lunch order on Fridays? smh!! Parenting 101 in the 21st century........  :D

Following the shooting at Colombine, this is the main reason schools allowed students to bring their phones on campus-Friday lunch orders.

Cell phones, i-pads, electronic devices are terrible distractions in the classroom. I cannot tell you how many fights start during the school day because of something posted on Twitter or social media. They are the modern day crack for kids.

Blue.....He makes A's and B's , is envolved in every sport and does not give me much trouble (other than this puberty thing that is giving him a slight attitude)....so, to me, that's worth Sonic on friday.

Following the shooting at Colombine, this is the main reason schools allowed students to bring their phones on campus-Friday lunch orders.

Cell phones, i-pads, electronic devices are terrible distractions in the classroom. I cannot tell you how many fights start during the school day because of something posted on Twitter or social media. They are the modern day crack for kids.

Nederland is piloting a BYOD program.  But the kids are not allowed to use them in the halls and can only take them out in the classroom with permission.  I guess we will see how it works.

Blue.....He makes A's and B's , is envolved in every sport and does not give me much trouble (other than this puberty thing that is giving him a slight attitude)....so, to me, that's worth Sonic on friday.

Its the cell phone man. You just think its puberty. Like GMCPats said, its the modern day crack for kids.