Four Reasons why gay marriage is our concern

jv_coach

Four reasons why gay marriage is our concern

I received a broadcast email from a respected teacher, rebuking and exhorting Christians to get our house in order: to love our spouses well, to stop divorcing at rates that rival unbelievers, to quit trifling with premarital sex. He was right. We’re a mess. Let’s do better.

But buried in the middle paragraph was this other opinion:

“Some of us are upset when the state permits gay marriages, but how is that our concern as Christians? Should we be going after Sunday blue laws again?”

May we stop right here and nail this issue once and for all, lest we the people of God continue our drift toward death on a current of mushy thinking? I would respectfully offer four reasons why the state’s embrace of same-sex marriage is our concern and something to fight with all our means:

1. Same-sex marriage will be deleterious to society. Its widespread sanction potentially deprives children of a mother and father. (But perhaps this argument will not be cogent for some who may reply that what matters is that Christians see to it that their families are intact and biblical. If this is your view, read on.)
  2. What about Christ’s law of love? What about God’s command to preach the gospel so as to “save some” (1 Corinthians 9:22)? What about the duty of “warning everyone” (Colossians 1:28)? Do we no longer believe in hell, as Jonathan Edwards and Richard Baxter did? If it were the only reason, love of neighbor (Mark 12:31) would be sufficient reason to speak out against the darkness. Do we secretly harbor the attitude, “I’ve got mine, and to hell with everyone else”?
  3. Once you allow for the state to sanction same-sex marriage, you have no argument to use against any other kind of perverse configuration of marriage. Polyamorism anyone?
  4. Do not imagine that if we capitulate to state-sanctioned same-sex marriage our own civil rights will not be taken away in the end. The signs are already clear in many little ways: After gay marriage is the law of the land, churches (like bakeries and florists) that refuse to perform and bless same-sex marriages will lose their tax-exempt status.

This slippage I have observed in the church—from earlier opposition to the state sanction of gay marriage to a more fashionable laissez faire attitude cloaked in the garb of love and compassion and self-flagellation—is very pleasing to the devil and is what C.S. Lewis forewarned of when he spoke inThe Screwtape Letters of the gradual road to hell: “the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts”

You asked how homosexual marriage deprived a child of a mother and father...a father is a man and a mother is a woman in my way of thinking and a homosexual marriage has to leave one out.

That's my way of thinking...explained.

Dumb explanation..  the kid being adopted  clearly has no father and mother.   Explain why he/she would be adopted if he/she had both.

Dumb explanation.. the kid being adopted clearly has no father and mother. Explain why he/she would be adopted if he/she had both.

You calling it a dumb explanation is a badge of honor for me.

I gave you my explanation, take it or leave it, I couldn't' care less either way. :)

What you should be explaining is why you would put a kid in a lifestyle that, if he adopts as his own, will go to hell literally if he doesn't change.

You calling it a dumb explanation is a badge of honor for me.

I gave you my explanation, take it or leave it, I couldn't' care less either way. :)

What you should be explaining is why you would put a kid in a lifestyle that, if he adopts as his own, will go to hell literally if he doesn't change.

How old were you when you chose to be straight?

Not sure, but it was a choice I made influenced by the healthy heterosexual examples set before me.

I see you acknowledge it's a choice and not genetic.

i'm not acknowledging that at all because it's not.  i was curious, since you clearly do believe it's a choice, if you could tell me the moment you made that "choice".  of course, you can't, because it wasn't a conscious choice you made.  it's just how you always were.

i'm not acknowledging that at all because it's not.  i was curious, since you clearly do believe it's a choice, if you could tell me the moment you made that "choice".  of course, you can't, because it wasn't a conscious choice you made.  it's just how you always were.

I don't remember the day I decided not to become an ax murderer either, but I am not one. (I am not equating the two, so don't go there)

You believe it is how we are and I believe it's a choice we make...like any behavior. If behavior is simply "who we are", that would be a great legal defense for anything we do.

...and if I'm not mistaken, there is no homosexual chromosome.

Could you direct me to the "straight" chromosome. I just personally believe it's a trait people are born with. And every homosexual I've talked to has said they've known since they were little. Why would such s large group of people make a choice to be discriminated against, ostracized, and even hated by some people. Personally, the thought of sex with a man disgusts me. I know it is not something I could ever choose to like.

Could you direct me to the "straight" chromosome. I just personally believe it's a trait people are born with. And every homosexual I've talked to has said they've known since they were little. Why would such s large group of people make a choice to be discriminated against, ostracized, and even hated by some people. Personally, the thought of sex with a man disgusts me. I know it is not something I could ever choose to like.

My point exactly, there is none...straight and homosexual are choices IMO.

People make choices about all kinds of stuff all the time that are baffling and make no sense to others...but I believe they are just that, choices.

I gotta feeling we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I have to somewhat disagree with both of you. I think homosexuality and heterosexuality in most cases could have little to do with upbringing or parenting. Man was born with a sin nature. I think we all have different challenges and temptations. I think some people are born much more susceptible to homosexuality than others just as other people may be more susceptible to other vices. However, it is a choice to follow those desires as is with any form of temptation.