More NCAA fun

PhatMack19

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 8m
NCAA football rules committee proposes offense can't snap the ball until play clock reaches 29 seconds or less. Would reduce total plays.

The NCAA and their dumb rules are getting annoying. I screamed at the TV multiple times last year over targeting calls in games I didn't even care about because it's a BS rule. Leave the game alone or let them play flag football and see how much money the NCAA loses.

quote:
Defensive Substitutions

The committee also recommended a rules change that will allow defensive units to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, with the exception of the final two minutes of each half, starting with the 2014 season.

“This rules change is being made to enhance student-athlete safety by guaranteeing a small window for both teams to substitute,” said Calhoun. “As the average number of plays per game has increased, this issue has been discussed with greater frequency by the committee in recent years and we felt like it was time to act in the interests of protecting our student-athletes.”

Under this rule proposal, the offense will not be allowed to snap the ball until the play clock reaches 29 seconds or less. If the offense snaps the ball before the play clock reaches 29 seconds, a 5-yard, delay-of-game penalty will be assessed. Under current rules, defensive players are not guaranteed an opportunity to substitute unless the offense substitutes first. This part of the rule will remain in place in scenarios where the play clock starts at 25 seconds.

The committee discussed the issue thoroughly before coming to the conclusion that defensive teams should be allowed some period of time to substitute. The committee believes that 10 seconds provides sufficient time for defensive player substitutions without inhibiting the ability of an offense to play at a fast pace. Research indicated that teams with fast-paced, no-huddle offenses rarely snap the ball with 30 seconds or more on the play clock. This rules proposal also aligns with a request from the Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports that sport rules committees review substitution rules in regards to player safety.

In the NCAA’s non-rules change years, proposals can only be made for student-athlete safety reasons or modifications that enhance the intent of a previous rules change.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, 1 game trumps the rest of the last decade.

1 game? I'm pretty sure you seen Texas A&M shred every sec defense out there

Remember when all the talking heads at the 4LN said Stoops was crazy for calling the SEC out about being top heavy and saying with a good QB thats mobile you can beat them. Then he goes out in the Sugar Bowl and does just that with ease against Bama and the 4LN is shocked 

1 game? I'm pretty sure you seen Texas A&M shred every sec defense out there

Remember when all the talking heads at the 4LN said Stoops was crazy for calling the SEC out about being top heavy and saying with a good QB thats mobile you can beat them. Then he goes out in the Sugar Bowl and does just that with ease against Bama and the 4LN is shocked

I wouldn't say he won with ease. Bama had the ball with a chance to tie it at the end before they fumbled. A&M beat Big Game Bob the year before with ease, but I guess we don't count that.

Saban is 3-0 in BCS Championship games, but 0-3 in other BCS Games. I guess Utah is a better program than Bama since they beat them in a BCS game once upon a time....

Last year Auburn lost to LSU, beat Bama and Georgia on miracle plays, and should have lost to A&M if not for JFF getting hurt and a no call on a horse collar at the end. FSU beat everyone by 50 and still barely beat an SEC team that nearly had 4 conference losses. The SEC had 7 teams end the year ranked so I don't get your 4 top heavy teams comment.