Strong Coaching Pedigree

UTfanatic

Strong: Smartest guy in town or Not the smartest guy in town.

We'll see.

Doesn't matter whether you think that he is smart or not.

He is the man in charge, the general, the man with the marching orders.

Aggies should understand marching orders!

The last time I marched at Texas A&M, was in the grass around some oak trees. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Not worried about that. 

Picked up a 3 star Baylor reject today. LB Breckyn Hager (Austin Westlake) and son of former Longhorn Britt Hager. 

Let's ride!

Strong and his staff better be worried about it, there are big rumblings coming out of Austin already.

Strong and his staff better be worried about it, there are big rumblings coming out of Austin already.

If they lose to Kansas, Austin may implode.

Hopefully they will give him a chance to get his program in place. This is a DRASTIC change of philosophy. They wanted to lose the "soft" label and he's trying to do that. Although most Texas fans/alumns are not rational at times, hopefully the ones with the money will be. 

The big question that I have is simple - how will his dismissing 9 players affect his future recruits?  At these camps that all schools now have the top recruits will normally meet and possibly become friends a lot more than when I was in school - is this a topic of conversation - and if it is is it beneficial for Texas or not?

You can dismiss perceptions all you want but if Texas is losing the PR battle among the future recruits Strong's tenure at Texas will be short.

The big question that I have is simple - how will his dismissing 9 players affect his future recruits?  At these camps that all schools now have the top recruits will normally meet and possibly become friends a lot more than when I was in school - is this a topic of conversation - and if it is is it beneficial for Texas or not?

You can dismiss perceptions all you want but if Texas is losing the PR battle among the future recruits Strong's tenure at Texas will be short.

The current atmoshere in the NFL may be helping him - he could state he is looking for kids that are disciplined to play at Texas and have a future in the NFL....now that all hinges on where all that stuff goes.

Note: I'm not a sip fan, and if in fact that all plays out, it would be shear luck - but it could help him.

I guess I am missing something here OldTimer.........should Strong give up on his convictions and cave to the desires and whims of 18 to 20 year old kids? I do not want a program where the inmates run the asylum.........see Miami in the 80's.  If that is what the Old Cronies want they might as well fire Strong now. I can't help but believe Charlie had to lay out his plan for removing "soft" from the football team. Everyone in the process of hiring him had to know. Give him the time to continue his plan.

There are always going to be grumblings at UT.......someone in the Suites is going to be upset no matter how many games and titles are won.

I guess I am missing something here OldTimer.........should Strong give up on his convictions and cave to the desires and whims of 18 to 20 year old kids? I do not want a program where the inmates run the asylum.........see Miami in the 80's.  If that is what the Old Cronies want they might as well fire Strong now. I can't help but believe Charlie had to lay out his plan for removing "soft" from the football team. Everyone in the process of hiring him had to know. Give him the time to continue his plan.

There are always going to be grumblings at UT.......someone in the Suites is going to be upset no matter how many games and titles are won.

No he should never give up his convictions - but will he be able to win AT THE LEVEL that Texas and its fans expect with his convictions that is the question - and nobody has the answer to that question at this time.  I have always stated that I hope Strong succeeds as I think that it could do nothing but help the university.  However, I also have my doubts that he can succeed if he does not get the above average high school athlete to buy into that type of program.  Lets face it in today's world the best athletes in high school are by in large a group of entitled young men - and will they be willing to go to a college that has very strict rules to follow - who knows.  What I do know that those that do will likely have a more enjoyable less problematic college career.

Convictions or not if you think that Texas and its fans would rather have a "clean" and "strong" program over one that wins 10 - 11 games a year you are quite likely mistaken.  If he can keep his convictions and win lots and lots of games he will succeed.  If he wins 7 - 8 games a year and has the cleanest program in the country he will be forced to move on - Texas and its fans will not accept those numbers   

No he should never give up his convictions - but will he be able to win AT THE LEVEL that Texas and its fans expect with his convictions that is the question - and nobody has the answer to that question at this time.  I have always stated that I hope Strong succeeds as I think that it could do nothing but help the university.  However, I also have my doubts that he can succeed if he does not get the above average high school athlete to buy into that type of program.  Lets face it in today's world the best athletes in high school are by in large a group of entitled young men - and will they be willing to go to a college that has very strict rules to follow - who knows.  What I do know that those that do will likely have a more enjoyable less problematic college career.

Convictions or not if you think that Texas and its fans would rather have a "clean" and "strong" program over one that wins 10 - 11 games a year you are quite likely mistaken.  If he can keep his convictions and win lots and lots of games he will succeed.  If he wins 7 - 8 games a year and has the cleanest program in the country he will be forced to move on - Texas and its fans will not accept those numbers   

The correspondence I have received from the University makes it very clear that it will be a bumpy ride, but the administration and AD are firmly behind Coach Strong. This is exactly what they want. HOOKEM

I wish I was a mod. on this board. Next thread I see about college football players in trouble with the law, I would delete it. You can't complain about the bad things if you are going to complain about the good. That is called two-faced, playing both sides, fence riding etc...

Of course we all want to win, but at what price? Rapist Roethlisberger, Killer Ray Lewis, I could go on and on.....not what I want my kid idolizing and making excuses for, or having enough money to get away with it. I am not the most moral person in the world, but I don't make fun of those who try to be. I never question the integrity of a man who is trying to do the right thing.

Maybe from the commie newspaper but not from Belmont where his boss is!

The bosses in Belmont should be more worried than Strong. Patterson pissed a lot of people off in the hiring process and put all his eggs in Charlie's basket. If Charlie doesn't work out, he's the first to go.

Speaking of administration, don't think replacing the yell leader with a longhorn in the governor's mansion won't be felt either. Abbott is a rabid longhorn football fan and has plenty of capital coming from the billionaire boys club.

Baddog - I have never questioned anyone's integrity.  My question is with the patience that you and WNCIP seem to think that the Texas establishment (alumni, Sponsors, donors, season ticket holders, etc...) will have with Strong if he does indeed struggle in the W-L Column.  I think I have made it clear that I hope he succeeds as I think it will be good for the State of Texas and for football in general. 

However, I think that you are giving TOO MUCH credit to the patience of the Texas empire that has been Texas football for 100 years - If Strong struggles in he W-L and recruiting he will get some (not all) Texas fans and supporters looking for another solution.  Like I have said I have already heard some of my friends that are diehard Texas fans grumbling about the loss to BYU, the prospects for this year and (Most of All) his lack of an impact in the recruiting wars - yet.

I have stated and will always state that I wish all colleges could and would put a program like Strong's - low tolerance - but the fact is that in today's Big College football world $$$$$$$ talks - and $$$$ are made with wins not losses.  And if you do not think that $$$$$ talks at Texas I believe that you are mistaken.

Baddog - I have never questioned anyone's integrity. My question is with the patience that you and WNCIP seem to think that the Texas establishment (alumni, Sponsors, donors, season ticket holders, etc...) will have with Strong if he does indeed struggle in the W-L Column. I think I have made it clear that I hope he succeeds as I think it will be good for the State of Texas and for football in general.

However, I think that you are giving TOO MUCH credit to the patience of the Texas empire that has been Texas football for 100 years - If Strong struggles in he W-L and recruiting he will get some (not all) Texas fans and supporters looking for another solution. Like I have said I have already heard some of my friends that are diehard Texas fans grumbling about the loss to BYU, the prospects for this year and (Most of All) his lack of an impact in the recruiting wars - yet.

I have stated and will always state that I wish all colleges could and would put a program like Strong's - low tolerance - but the fact is that in today's Big College football world $$$$$$$ talks - and $$$$ are made with wins not losses. And if you do not think that $$$$$ talks at Texas I believe that you are mistaken.

Very good points. However, my understanding is that their patience is the thinnest with the AD. They have liked the integrity and hard nosed attitude Charlie has brought. And I understand he has been open with the right guys after learning UT is a different world than anywhere he's been in terms of the players (not talking about the ones on the field). I think he will be given the 3 years WNCIP talks about. Hopefully the program will have advanced by then and we will not have had further attrition. Patterson, however, may not be so lucky. He is frantically trying to mend fences but a lot of those guys are old school. They don't forget and aren't as quick to forgive either.

I wish I was a mod. on this board. Next thread I see about college football players in trouble with the law, I would delete it. You can't complain about the bad things if you are going to complain about the good. That is called two-faced, playing both sides, fence riding etc...

Of course we all want to win, but at what price? Rapist Roethlisberger, Killer Ray Lewis, I could go on and on.....not what I want my kid idolizing and making excuses for, or having enough money to get away with it. I am not the most moral person in the world, but I don't make fun of those who try to be. I never question the integrity of a man who is trying to do the right thing.

Yep, Chucky is a great man of integrity

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigeast/2012/12/28/university-of-louisville-football-law-suit-patrick-grant-charlie-strong/1796389/)