Strong Coaching Pedigree

UTfanatic

Strong I believe can lead Texas back to the promised land - but it appears he is making this harder on himself. The question that I have it this - and note I do not have the answer - are the kids in the Texas program (from Mack's classes) really that big a group of problem children or is this a way for some of the players to show their disenchantment with the new rules by perhaps rebelling.

I have openly stated that I hope that Strong can make his players toe the line as well as win conference and national championships - I think most colleges can benefit from this if they could do the same and follow his example. However, I also wonder how many players will may pass on a overly strict environment if they feel that it would "not be fun".

Can he bring the two ends of the spectrum together - I hope he can - cause if he can it could improve the perception of the privileged college athlete. Wish him the best.

Good post. And good questions. Only time will tell.

This is my favorite article from the NT game. Evidently gaining 3 yards on 4 plays is considered putting the T back in Texas. I want some of what this guy is drinking.
quote:
Rick Gosselin [email protected]
Published: 30 August 2014 10:53 PM
Updated: 31 August 2014 12:56 AM
AUSTIN — It took Charlie Strong all of 25 minutes to finally put the “T” back in Texas.
With about five minutes left in the first half Saturday, the Longhorns were sitting on a first-and-goal at the North Texas 3.
On first down, Texas handed the ball off to Johnathan Gray over the left side for two yards to the 1.
On second down, Texas handed the ball off to Gray again over the left side. No gain.
On third down, Texas handed the ball off to Gray once again over the left side. No gain.
On fourth down, Strong didn’t trot out the field-goal team in his head coaching debut at Texas. This wasn’t a night to settle for anything. This was a night to make a statement.
With the crowd of 93,201 imploring Strong to go for it, he did — and quarterback David Ash won a footrace to the right corner of the end zone on a bootleg for the touchdown.

Lots of good teams have had goal line stands against them by lesser opponents. Give Strong a chance. You gave Fran a chance. Probably even bragged about how good things were going to get with Fran. Then came Sherman and the same stuff......"just wait and see".....yet you have to try and bury Strong before he gets his feet wet. Lots of teams would have kicked a FG.

Really do not think that you need to start comparing which coach kicks off the most players or will kick the next player off - I think Strong is working at getting his kick off move down perfect - has he not used it like 13 times so far this year?

You have to decide what you are willing to tolerate. Look at the NFL suspensions this year. Do you want a good player in spite of him being a marginal citizen? I mean smoking weed ain't so bad, but it's still illegal in most states and the NCAA.

Get right or get gone.

Predictions on who'll be #9?
Opening up a lot of schollie spots for this spring + built in excuse IF he loses.
Genius!!!!!!!

Really do not think that you need to start comparing which coach kicks off the most players or will kick the next player off - I think Strong is working at getting his kick off move down perfect - has he not used it like 13 times so far this year?

yes

and it is guru :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

No excuses. Most Horn fans knew this would be a tough go for a year. He can give them all the boot if that's what it takes to win ANOTHER National Championship.

Copied from horn message board:

Originally posted by clob94:

I hate giving ANY aggy credit for ANYTHING--- EVER-- but I saw a comment Sumlin made when asked what he thought about Texas players being kicked off the team-- Joe Bergeron et al--- Sumlin said something to the effect of "I guess it's easier to get rid of a kid instead of keeping him around and teaching him how to be a man."

I hate giving ANY aggy credit for ANYTHING--- EVER-- but I saw a comment Sumlin made when asked what he thought about Texas players being kicked off the team-- Joe Bergeron et al--- Sumlin said something to the effect of "I guess it's easier to get rid of a kid instead of keeping him around and teaching him how to be a man."

Touching quote. Seems like A contradiction:

Two Aggie Defensive Players Dismissed

"These two individuals have failed to meet the high expectations and standards that we have for our football players and as representatives of this university," Sumlin said in a statement. "These two players have exhibited a pattern of behavior that we will not tolerate at Texas A and M"

I happen to like Sumlin and I believe that quotes such as

I happen to like Sumlin and I believe quotes such as this are simply made for media ears. How can any person question another's motives when trying to achieve some type of disciplinary balance with "kids" under the age of 21?

I applaud any coach who lays down a set of rules and doesn't back down when it comes to enforcing them, even if it means he has to play a lesser caliber player.

Tom Landry would have done the same thing. He took no crap. ( leaving myself open for the Landry/Strong comparisons)