Strong Coaching Pedigree

UTfanatic

Gotta love when Barry starts taking his shots. Charlie Weak! 😄

From sip#

quote:
Former Oklahoma Sooners and Dallas Cowboys head coach Barry Switzer was on Dallas-Fort Worth radio station 105.3 FM 'The Fan' on Thursday evening and was asked about the Longhorns football team and new head coach Charlie Strong. Switzer had a variety of negative things to say, including calling Strong 'Charlie Weak' and describing the Texas offense as "terrible."
With that said, Switzer did add that he admires Strong and had high praise for Texas sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes.
Here is what Switzer had to say:
"Well it's down to Charlie Weak right now. They got problems, but I admire him for being old school. He got seven guys who didn't want to believe in what he asked them to do and he got rid of their ass. And that's the thing to do. I don't know what kind of uproar would have been made if I'd been coaching there or Jackie Sherrill or Freddy Akers had done something like that, but he got away with it and I admire him and I'm glad he can. I think it just takes time and I know he's a good a football coach hell, he's from Arkansas, that's why about 70 miles from where I grew up. So he's got problems because of talent base. All that you fiction writers always said that Texas recruited the best players that were and ranked them up there one, two ,three in the country well they're not as quite as good maybe as some of the others and maybe they're just coaching better. I know they coach good at Baylor and I know they coach good at Oklahoma. But anyway, we'll find out but it's going to take some time. I hope they give him some time."
" I don't live in their house, it's difficult to talk to about someone when you don't live in their own damn house and know what's going on. But I just see and look and know and talk to other people and have my own opinions and evaluate things about what's in play. They played hard the other night. They tried hard on defense. They're not very good on offense. They're terrible on offense. I tell you what, the quarterback, I like the quarterback they put out the other night. Kid's got potential. He's got a chance to be a good one big, fast, strong. Hell, he can go out how many freshmen, rookies go out there the first time and go 7-for-7? Not many can do it."

Gotta love when Barry starts taking his shots. Charlie Weak! 😄

From sip#

quote:
Former Oklahoma Sooners and Dallas Cowboys head coach Barry Switzer was on Dallas-Fort Worth radio station 105.3 FM 'The Fan' on Thursday evening and was asked about the Longhorns football team and new head coach Charlie Strong. Switzer had a variety of negative things to say, including calling Strong 'Charlie Weak' and describing the Texas offense as "terrible."
With that said, Switzer did add that he admires Strong and had high praise for Texas sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes.
"Well it's down to Charlie Weak right now. They got problems, but I admire him for being old school. He got seven guys who didn't want to believe in what he asked them to do and he got rid of their ass. And that's the thing to do. I don't know what kind of uproar would have been made if I'd been coaching there or Jackie Sherrill or Freddy Akers had done something like that, but he got away with it and I admire him and I'm glad he can. I think it just takes time and I know he's a good a football coach hell, he's from Arkansas, that's why about 70 miles from where I grew up. So he's got problems because of talent base. All that you fiction writers always said that Texas recruited the best players that were and ranked them up there one, two ,three in the country well they're not as quite as good maybe as some of the others and maybe they're just coaching better. I know they coach good at Baylor and I know they coach good at Oklahoma. But anyway, we'll find out but it's going to take some time. I hope they give him some time."
" I don't live in their house, it's difficult to talk to about someone when you don't live in their own damn house and know what's going on. But I just see and look and know and talk to other people and have my own opinions and evaluate things about what's in play. They played hard the other night. They tried hard on defense. They're not very good on offense. They're terrible on offense. I tell you what, the quarterback, I like the quarterback they put out the other night. Kid's got potential. He's got a chance to be a good one big, fast, strong. Hell, he can go out how many freshmen, rookies go out there the first time and go 7-for-7? Not many can do it."

Barry is always entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

The part about Barry talking about kicking kids off the team and getting control of the program was pretty comical though.

Gotta love when Barry starts taking his shots. Charlie Weak!

From sip#

quote:

Barry is always entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

The part about Barry talking about kicking kids off the team and getting control of the program was pretty comical though.

Switzer is a great guy and super coach. He has always been respected in the coaching ranks. Can you say Marcus Dupree?

@Longhorn_FB: Strong player update: David Ash is giving up football due to injury, Desmond Jackson will have foot surgery and could be done for season.

Big Dez is a big loss. He and Brown at DTs were the strength of the team IMO. (Other than the punter who appears to be our best player lol.)

I would have been shocked if ash tried another go. He's taking years off his life at this point.

In other news, I heard Daje Johnson may be reinstated in time for conference play. I also hear don't count on seeing either of the OTs back.

I would get in touch with the LU administration and let them know of your displeasure.

If you don;t speak out, you can;t complain.

Totally off-topic

#SPCFBG

http://setxsports.com/ip/index.php?/topic/107802-how-do-you-fix-lamar/

Note Avatar - don't really care what LU does! And it was not off topic - it was in reference to turning a program around in THREE years....just stating, that's NOT always the case!

http://setxsports.com/ip/index.php?/topic/107802-how-do-you-fix-lamar/

Note Avatar - don't really care what LU does! And it was not off topic - it was in reference to turning a program around in THREE years....just stating, that's NOT always the case!

And LU should have fired there coach if the progress was not to their liking after 4 years. (3 yrs not starting from scratch).

It take 3 years to get your recruits and process in place. Ask any CFB Coach.

And LU should have fired there coach if the progress was not to their liking after 4 years. (3 yrs not starting from scratch).

It take 3 years to get your recruits and process in place. Ask any CFB Coach.

I agree with you that in three years the team belongs to THAT coach. BUT that doesn't always translate to being "turned around"! It could take even longer to convince kids to come there. Examples could be, Penn State, Miami, USC, or better yet SMU. Following disasterous events, or the running down of a program to the point of no return (like Mack Brown did) it may take longer than THREE years!

Ask any CFB Coach.

I agree with you that in three years the team belongs to THAT coach. BUT that doesn't always translate to being "turned around"! It could take even longer to convince kids to come there. Examples could be, Penn State, Miami, USC, or better yet SMU. Following disasterous events, or the running down of a program to the point of no return (like Mack Brown did) it may take longer than THREE years!

Ask any CFB Coach.

If a CFB coaching staff has not turned the program around after three years, to the satisfaction of the BOSS, IMO they should be let go.

You mistake turning a program around to winning. It is not the same. Winning will come. Attitudes change first.

Fans or posters on this board do not get to hire or fire CFB coaches.

Too many mediocre coaches are allowed to continue. There are many good coaches to replace them.

#SPCFBG