Question- hypothetical

I have noticed how college football teams are starting to hire a bunch of "football analysts" to help with film, scouting and player development but not to be on field coaches or recruiters. Here is one instance today, of Texas hiring Greg Robinson for one of those positions: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9486631/texas-longhorns-rehire-former-co-defensive-coordinator-greg-robinson-analyst . NCAA rules limit the number of on field coaches/recruiters.

My question is, what about at the high school level? Would any rules block teams booster clubs from raising money to hire football analysts with the blessing of the school's head coach/AD? Texas UIL mandates that all football coaches must be full time district employees. But I doubt there is anything about somebody providing a service to the football coaches and program- just like a team photographer or a film software vendor.

Let's say PN-G wanted to hire a retired coach like Dan Hooks as a "football analyst" the week of the Nederland game to look at tape and offer some insight into Neumann's tendencies? Would there be anything against that.

But lets take it a step further. What if a team wanted to hire a talented player's dad as a "football analyst?"

This won't apply to a lot of schools but some of the larger schools with some booster club money might be able to exploit this at the high school level and get help for their football teams.

My question is, what about at the high school level? Would any rules block teams booster clubs from raising money to hire football analysts with the blessing of the school's head coach/AD? Texas UIL mandates that all football coaches must be full time district employees. But I doubt there is anything about somebody providing a service to the football coaches and program- just like a team photographer or a film software vendor.

But let's take it a step further. What if a team wanted to hire a talented player's dad as a "football analyst?"

This won't apply to a lot of schools but some of the larger schools with some booster club money might be able to exploit this at the high school level and get help for their football teams.

[i][b]I think the last 2 statements are true and happen more than we know. There is no sit out period for transfers so getting parents the ability to work and house in a area happens especially if there kid is an athlete.
[/b][/i]

I don't see a problem.  Because it could happen on or off the books.  I could sit in the stands and scout a team and then go to the the head coaches house and deliver what I saw.  Or I could have game films/DVD's sent to my house, dissect them and report back personally to the head coach.  Not a problem.  This is still America where freedom rings...

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1419773" timestamp="1374108508"]
I have noticed how college football teams are starting to hire a bunch of "football analysts" to help with film, scouting and player development but not to be on field coaches or recruiters. Here is one instance today, of Texas hiring Greg Robinson for one of those positions: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9486631/texas-longhorns-rehire-former-co-defensive-coordinator-greg-robinson-analyst . NCAA rules limit the number of on field coaches/recruiters.

Let's say PN-G wanted to hire a retired coach like Dan Hooks as a "football analyst" the week of the Nederland game to look at tape and offer some insight into Neumann's tendencies? Would there be anything against that.

But lets take it a step further. What if a team wanted to hire a talented player's dad as a "football analyst?"

[/quote]

Obviously college is not bound by districts like high school, so any "scouting" would really put a program in a precarious situation with the UiL. 

I love the football analyst job at the college level ...really think smaller schools could benefit a lot from this type of assistance.  I'm betting there are PLENTY of kids that end up walking on at smaller schools that could/should be recruited (probably some that got discouraged and never played again too).  They may not be top D1 talent during their senior year, but a good analyst might see the potential to develop a guy with the right basics.  I believe Prairie View recently had a walk-on defensive end that's now playing in the pros.  He started on the offensive side of the ball and was developed into defensive player.  With many/most high school taping & (online) broadcasting their games, the opportunity to been seen is much higher than it was years ago.

At the high school level, a Football analyst could really help a new program or a struggling one.  They might help with personnel moves too.  For instance moving [b]future 1st round playoff exit winner[/b], D. Chatman at SC, to RB during his freshman year instead of his junior year.  8)

I SEE MY POST WAS HI-JACKED.  MOST LIKELY BY LITTLE BUDDY GARRITY!

Maybe I'm missing the point, but most schools send coaches to scout teams anyway.  How would an outside "football analyst" help?  I would say the coaches are more than qualified and if there not, send a different coach or hire one.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1419982" timestamp="1374176060"]
Maybe I'm missing the point, but most schools send coaches to scout teams anyway.  How would an outside "football analyst" help?  I would say the coaches are more than qualified and if there not, send a different coach or hire one.
[/quote]

I'd see the Analyst being someone with many years of experience and a proven track record of winning.  It would probably be a senior (code word for "old") person that might not want the daily commitment of coaching but has A LOT of football knowledge to share.  Sort of a mentor.  Even a guy like Belichick could gain something from having a guy like Lombardi around (if he were still alive).  In terms of high school, there's got to be more schools with younger/less experienced coaches than ones with hall of famers.

Most of the scouting of upcoming foes is done by Freshmen and Jr.High coaches unless a bye week or Thursday night game comes into play.I don't think the idea of outside help will ever come into play on the high school level.The teams in the lower income districts would surely protest because they would not be able to use this resource,thus making a even greater unlevel playing field.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Justafan72" post="1420252" timestamp="1374275880"]
Most of the scouting of upcoming foes is done by Freshmen and Jr.High coaches unless a bye week or Thursday night game comes into play.I don't think the idea of outside help will ever come into play on the high school level.[b]The teams in the lower income districts would surely protest because they would not be able to use this resource,thus making a even greater unlevel playing field.[/b]
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder