High School coaching salaries ...should they make more? How about the players?

What are your thoughts on the salaries of coaches in our region?  Do you think they're over-paid or under-paid?  Some coaches make double a teacher's salary.  The pressure to win seems pretty intense.  Could we someday see 200, 300, 500K salaries for top programs?  Are some already getting this through an incentive program?

Also, what about the players?  The same issue exists in high school as with college, there's some serious money being made on Friday nights thanks to the talent that's on the field.  At least college athletes get a paid education.  Public high schools are paid for by the tax payers.  Should the kids get some education funds set aside for use at the next level?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1412351" timestamp="1370886473"]
What are your thoughts on the salaries of coaches in our region?  Do you think they're over-paid or under-paid?  Some coaches make double a teacher's salary.  The pressure to win seems pretty intense.  Could we someday see 200, 300, 500K salaries for top programs?  Are some already getting this through an incentive program?

Also, what about the players?  The same issue exists in high school as with college, there's some serious money being made on Friday nights thanks to the talent that's on the field.  At least college athletes get a paid education.  Public high schools are paid for by the tax payers.  [b]Should the kids get some education funds set aside for use at the next level?[/b]
[/quote]

[size=36pt][b]NO!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/size]

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1412364" timestamp="1370887711"]
AggiesAreWe ...I know this is a slippery slope ...but arguements can be made to the contrary.  Would require strict regulation ....[b]but it could work.[/b]
[/quote]

No it would not.

It might could work at 5A level and I strongly say "might". No way it could work at 1A, 2A, and 3A levels. If you do it for one, you have to do it for all.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1412366" timestamp="1370887960"]
[quote author=DemDAWGS! link=topic=112483.msg1412364#msg1412364 date=1370887711]
AggiesAreWe ...I know this is a slippery slope ...but arguements can be made to the contrary.  Would require strict regulation ....[b]but it could work.[/b]
[/quote]

No it would not.

It might could work at 5A level and I strongly say "might". No way it could work at 1A, 2A, and 3A levels. If you do it for one, you have to do it for all.
[/quote]

Yeah...can see your point. The money wouldn't be there.  Could be something left to the individual school districts to decide.  Sort of like "states rights."

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1412351" timestamp="1370886473"]
What are your thoughts on the salaries of coaches in our region?  Do you think they're over-paid or under-paid?  Some coaches make double a teacher's salary.  The pressure to win seems pretty intense.  [b]Could we someday see 200, 300, 500K salaries for top programs?  Are some already getting this through an incentive program?[/b]

Also, what about the players?  The same issue exists in high school as with college, there's some serious money being made on Friday nights thanks to the talent that's on the field.  At least college athletes get a paid education.  Public high schools are paid for by the tax payers.  Should the kids get some education funds set aside for use at the next level?
[/quote]

No.  Not unless inflation hits 100%+

And no.  paying HS kids is a ludicrous notion.  that opens the door to more illegal recruiting.  The Money made is not so incredible that people are becoming filthy rich.    The football programs help float the other sports, and help pay for multi-million dollar stadiums.    Better football teams, means better facilities, which means higher property values, which means more development,  which means higher revenue for schools.    That is the cycle.  It isn't formatted like college football.  Football is an investment that pays out much different than hard cash. 

[quote name="HUM398" post="1412425" timestamp="1370903255"]
[quote author=DemDAWGS! link=topic=112483.msg1412351#msg1412351 date=1370886473]
What are your thoughts on the salaries of coaches in our region?  Do you think they're over-paid or under-paid?  Some coaches make double a teacher's salary.  The pressure to win seems pretty intense.  [b]Could we someday see 200, 300, 500K salaries for top programs?  Are some already getting this through an incentive program?[/b]

[/quote]

No.  Not unless inflation hits 100%+

And no.  paying HS kids is a ludicrous notion.  that opens the door to more illegal recruiting.  The Money made is not so incredible that people are becoming filthy rich.    The football programs help float the other sports, and help pay for multi-million dollar stadiums.    Better football teams, means better facilities, which means higher property values, which means more development,  which means higher revenue for schools.    That is the cycle.  It isn't formatted like college football.  Football is an investment that pays out much different than hard cash.
[/quote]
Coach Harrell used to make 6 figures at Ennis, just barely. Pretty surprising considering how big hs football is in Texas.

There's already a bunch of guys that make over 100k. I know Lineweaver at Trinity makes about 115k. Gary Joseph makes well over 100k at Katy. Even guys like Kenny Perry at Arlington Bowie make over 100k. Larry Neumann makes about 95k a year. Most I ever heard though was Chad Morris who's now the OC at Clemson making 125k when he was at Lake Travis. If the game of high school football keeps getting bigger I expect the salaries to do the same. I expect 125k to be about the norm for a good AD/HC in a decade. 

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1412359" timestamp="1370886904"]
[quote author=DemDAWGS! link=topic=112483.msg1412351#msg1412351 date=1370886473]

Also, what about the players?  The same issue exists in high school as with college, there's some serious money being made on Friday nights thanks to the talent that's on the field.  At least college athletes get a paid education.  Public high schools are paid for by the tax payers.  [b]Should the kids get some education funds set aside for use at the next level?[/b]
[/quote]

[size=36pt][b]NO!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/size]
[/quote]
an that's all I got to say about that! ;)

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1412929" timestamp="1371090464"]
There are 1A AD/HC's that make 100,000 a year. At least they have two job titles. lol. [b]Coaches work their butts off, they deserve every penny.[/b]
[/quote]

And "Teachers" don't?

First, I don't believe the head football coach should have the AD title. They have that so they can pay them more. I think the AD should be a separate job (as in the bigger districts) I think a football coach as the AD is a conflict of interest. Now...my coaching friends aren't going to like me much for this approach, and even less when I say...maybe they shouldn't be paid at all.

Many "select" coaches put as much time or MORE into the sport they love without any compensation...pay, expenses, etc. because they love kids, and love teaching the sport.

After all, school (learning) should be the first priority, and the notion of "well without sports, some kids wouldn't stay in school" or "sports is the only thing that gives some kids the opportunity to move on" just don't cut it.

My kid is on athletic scholarship....but SHE also is an honor grad....she didn't DEPEND on her athletic abilities to advance to the next level....it's just a past time....

and NO, players should NOT, under any circumstance be paid

[quote name="Craig S" post="1413035" timestamp="1371134182"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=112483.msg1412929#msg1412929 date=1371090464]
There are 1A AD/HC's that make 100,000 a year. At least they have two job titles. lol. [b]Coaches work their butts off, they deserve every penny.[/b]
[/quote]

And "Teachers" don't?

First, I don't believe the head football coach should have the AD title. [b]They have that so they can pay them more. I think the AD should be a separate job[/b] (as in the bigger districts) I think a football coach as the AD is a conflict of interest. Now...my coaching friends aren't going to like me much for this approach, and even less when I say...maybe they shouldn't be paid at all.

Many "select" coaches put as much time or MORE into the sport they love without any compensation...pay, expenses, etc. because they love kids, and love teaching the sport.

After all, school (learning) should be the first priority, and the notion of "well without sports, some kids wouldn't stay in school" or "sports is the only thing that gives some kids the opportunity to move on" just don't cut it.

My kid is on athletic scholarship....but SHE also is an honor grad....she didn't DEPEND on her athletic abilities to advance to the next level....it's just a past time....

[/quote]

So instead of paying 1 guy lets say $65k a year to do a HC Football and AD job... you would rather smaller schools pay a HC $50k and then pay an AD $55k a year to be AD? so if one guy does it its a total of $65k and if two guys $105K.... which one would you rather have to pay for as an ISD... do you think the taxpayers of that district would rather 1 guy and extra money for different things throughout the district... or take away from other programs to pay 2?

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1413041" timestamp="1371134959"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=112483.msg1413035#msg1413035 date=1371134182]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=112483.msg1412929#msg1412929 date=1371090464]
[/quote]

And "Teachers" don't?

First, I don't believe the head football coach should have the AD title. [b]They have that so they can pay them more. I think the AD should be a separate job[/b] (as in the bigger districts) I think a football coach as the AD is a conflict of interest. Now...my coaching friends aren't going to like me much for this approach, and even less when I say...maybe they shouldn't be paid at all.

[/quote]

So instead of paying 1 guy lets say $65k a year to do a HC Football and AD job... you would rather smaller schools pay a HC $50k and then pay an AD $55k a year to be AD? so if one guy does it its a total of $65k and if two guys $105K.... which one would you rather have to pay for as an ISD... do you think the taxpayers of that district would rather 1 guy and extra money for different things throughout the district... or take away from other programs to pay 2?
[/quote]

Classroom teachers don't make $55K and $65K at these smaller schools....besides, where do you get these numbers...there isn't a AD/HC making as little as $65K in the state.

"Now...my coaching friends aren't going to like me much for this approach, and even less when I say...maybe they shouldn't be paid at all. "

^^^^ or this! There isn't a bigger sports fan in the world than me.....there isn't a person in the world who like winning more than me....but the cost of HS sports is crazy!

And this is just an argumentative subject....HS sports, ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL isn't going anywhere...neither is the cost...in fact...I agree with an earlier poster...it's only gonna get more expensive as the years pass.

I just pulled the numbers out of the air... my point was in smaller districts its cheaper to pay 1 then it would be to pay 2 .... and the money that is saved  by paying 1 can be used to help other areas like paying teachers...

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1413108" timestamp="1371142682"]
State and local funds set asside for the following:

1. HJ fan dental voucher program (for every game lost fans have option of dental work or sugar cane stalk)
2. HJ fan mullet control awareness campaign
3. WOS non viloence association
[/quote]

LOL I bet Bedelman/Herefortheparty will be busting your B***s over this one LOL

[quote name="Craig S" post="1413073" timestamp="1371136180"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=112483.msg1413041#msg1413041 date=1371134959]
[/quote]

And "Teachers" don't?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Classroom teachers don't make $55K and $65K at these smaller schools....besides, where do you get these numbers...there isn't a AD/HC making as little as $65K in the state.

"Now...my coaching friends aren't going to like me much for this approach, and even less when I say...maybe they shouldn't be paid at all. "

^^^^ or this! There isn't a bigger sports fan in the world than me.....there isn't a person in the world who like winning more than me....but the cost of HS sports is crazy!

And this is just an argumentative subject....HS sports, ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL isn't going anywhere...neither is the cost...in fact...I agree with an earlier poster...it's only gonna get more expensive as the years pass.
[/quote]

What other high school sport brings so many paying fans to a game? 

Even high school football is big business (relatively) for many ISD's.  The sport may get more expensive as was pointed out, but I must believe the revenue justifies the expense.  No one is losing money.

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1413162" timestamp="1371150116"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=112483.msg1413073#msg1413073 date=1371136180]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=112483.msg1413041#msg1413041 date=1371134959]
[/quote]

And "Teachers" don't?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What other high school sport brings so many paying fans to a game? 

Even high school football is big business (relatively) for many ISD's.  The sport may get more expensive as was pointed out, but I must believe the revenue justifies the expense.  No one is losing money.
[/quote]

I promise you the revenues do not offset the budget expenses in MOST school districts. So yes they (sports) are a tax funded [b]privilege[/b] to high school kids

As far as salaries go, pretty sure Allman left his Alma Mater at Permian for $125K+ as Austin Westlake a few years back (less than a month after Farcloth left as Permians OC). Westlake suprisingly went to the 5A title game his first year.

PNG has a boys AD (Faircloth) and girls AD (Comeaux) which has worked well for girls and boys sports programs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83