Just how important are football camps? Does it give an edge to players?

My son is a 7th grader(13 years old) going to 8th grade in late August. He has played DL/OL since he was 5 years old, he is 6'0 257lbs. Monday he will be attending his first college camp, the Mack Brown intermediate lineman camp at UT. We plan on sending him to a camp every summer. I am wondering, when he gets to be a senior, how much of an advantage will he have vs kids that have never gone to a camp from 7th-12th grades? I hear these camps really help with hands and feet technique. I would really like to hear your opinions on this topic. Thanks.

one thing I think it helps them the best... is that they have a measuring stick on what they need to work on to make themselves better other then from a parent or a coach that they get talked to by all the time...  its like a set of fresh eyes and they tend to listen better... not that the information is any different that is being told to them at home or at the school... but its from an outside source... he will come back telling you things that you have been telling him for years.... you will just have to smile nod and give your approval... LOL ... trust me on this HAHAHAH ... it will also give him exposure and let him understand that although the work regime at the high school is tough... it only gets tougher if you want that next level... I would also think about sending him to different camps each year.... so that he can get a broad array of thoughts and ideas on his position... he will find what works best for him and be better for it...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1411430" timestamp="1370538385"]
one thing I think it helps them the best... is that they have a measuring stick on what they need to work on to make themselves better other then from a parent or a coach that they get talked to by all the time...  its like a set of fresh eyes and they tend to listen better... not that the information is any different that is being told to them at home or at the school... but its from an outside source... he will come back telling you things that you have been telling him for years.... you will just have to smile nod and give your approval... LOL ... trust me on this HAHAHAH ... it will also give him exposure and let him understand that although the work regime at the high school is tough... it only gets tougher if you want that next level... I would also think about sending him to different camps each year.... so that he can get a broad array of thoughts and ideas on his position... he will find what works best for him and be better for it...
[/quote]Good info, we do plan on going to different camps, next summer is LSU. Thanks for the post, good stuff.

[quote name="Scatright" post="1411442" timestamp="1370539841"]
As you know Diesel,

When you are working while others are sitting on the couch, you will always be better.
[/quote]Indeed brother. I know you got more of an opinion and more feedback my Bobcat brother. But you are right.  ;D

Guest Air Bisquit
My son usually went to the smaller camps (got more one one time with coaches) as he went into HS , then he started going to the college camps.
The college camps are where they start tracking some of the kids that would start coming through their camps.

Some college lineman camps my son attended
Southern Arkansas - Great camp  lots of one on one time, gives the kids nutrition guides, weight and running guide.
Tarleton State another good camp.
Southwestern College KS good camp (where he plays now)

Do not send him to any full contact camps (out of state)

Holler at me if you need any more info

I agree sometime the smaller school camps are better but not always. For him I would think find just lineman camps and he will get more one on one teaching thats just been my experience but its been a few years. Have seen some of the big school camps that were just money making day care and maybe see if their is 4.4 out there they missed. But any camp is better than sittin on the couch, good luck! jmo

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1411459" timestamp="1370542533"]
My son usually went to the smaller camps (got more one one time with coaches) as he went into HS , then he started going to the college camps.
The college camps are where they start tracking some of the kids that would start coming through their camps.

Some college lineman camps my son attended
Southern Arkansas - Great camp  lots of one on one time, gives the kids nutrition guides, weight and running guide.
Tarleton State another good camp.
Southwestern College KS good camp (where he plays now)

Do not send him to any full contact camps (out of state)

Holler at me if you need any more info
[/quote]Good info. Thanks.

[quote name="77" post="1411469" timestamp="1370543688"]
I agree sometime the smaller school camps are better but not always. For him I would think find just lineman camps and he will get more one on one teaching thats just been my experience but its been a few years. Have seen some of the big school camps that were just money making day care and maybe see if their is 4.4 out there they missed. But any camp is better than sittin on the couch, good luck! jmo
[/quote]Yeah, it looks like once he gets to be a freshman, there are a lot of lineman camps out there. Thanks.

I went to a lineman camp at SFA every summer when I was in high school.  I loved it.  Learned a lot of good stuff and got better each time I went.  I say if he loves football, and wants to get better, send him to as many camps as he wants/you can afford.  There are small ones right around the house and once a summer you can hit a big college camp.  At the very least, he will gain a great experience and get to spend time with ol' dad bonding over the pigskin.  Isn't that what its' all about anyway?

[quote name="Scatright" post="1411521" timestamp="1370548006"]
I went to a lineman camp at SFA every summer when I was in high school.  I loved it.  Learned a lot of good stuff and got better each time I went.  I say if he loves football, and wants to get better, send him to as many camps as he wants/you can afford.  There are small ones right around the house and once a summer you can hit a big college camp.  At the very least, he will gain a great experience and get to spend time with ol' dad bonding over the pigskin.  Isn't that what its' all about anyway?
[/quote]Yes it is.

I like camps, that's why I think the quality of play is where it is now on the sub-high school levels. I also like the full contact camps around the intermediate age, it gives kids that didn't play in a good little league or not at all a jump on the type contact he'll be seeing once all the restrictions are removed. The new Heads Up camps are pretty good about teaching proper technique which is most of what they do anyway. I'm also a huge fan of the new high school level camps you attend on university campuses. These can be a catch 22 however because while they seperate kids with comparable production on the field, they also expose the kids who've had great production but have been the benefactor of a good system or weaker competition. These camps are often the first time the local high school star is just a face in the crowd or a number on a jersey. Either way as previous poster have said, it's better than getting no work at all. My overall view is that camps do wonders for kids, even going to the smaller camps can get you a look which you may not have gotten otherwise. Coaches also talk, so if you're not a particular team's cup of tea a good word could be put in for you here or there.   

[quote name="cougar14" post="1411597" timestamp="1370562233"]
I like camps, that's why I think the quality of play is where it is now on the sub-high school levels. I also like the full contact camps around the intermediate age, it gives kids that didn't play in a good little league or not at all a jump on the type contact he'll be seeing once all the restrictions are removed. The new Heads Up camps are pretty good about teaching proper technique which is most of what they do anyway. I'm also a huge fan of the new high school level camps you attend on university campuses. These can be a catch 22 however because while they seperate kids with comparable production on the field, they also expose the kids who've had great production but have been the benefactor of a good system or weaker competition. These camps are often the first time the local high school star is just a face in the crowd or a number on a jersey. Either way as previous poster have said, it's better than getting no work at all. My overall view is that camps do wonders for kids, even going to the smaller camps can get you a look which you may not have gotten otherwise. Coaches also talk, so if you're not a particular team's cup of tea a good word could be put in for you here or there. 
[/quote]Sounds like kids that have the opportunity to attend camps have an edge.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1411613" timestamp="1370565977"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=112421.msg1411597#msg1411597 date=1370562233]
[/quote]Sounds like kids that have the opportunity to attend camps have an edge.
[/quote]
Its possible, but I know kids that went to camps every year and go no where, and others that never attend camps and go to D1 schools. If you got it, you will get a ride, if not, a camp wont give it to you. The saddest thing I have seen is the kids that got it, but are two dumb to get in the school. Education is the most important.

If money was no object, Id have mine going to several camps.  However, being that it is......I prefer to send mine to a speed camp.  I feel that I cant go wrong by making him faster, stronger, and more agile.  Plus its the tightwad in me that I tend to think that a 3 week speed camp vs a 4 day skills camp is more bang for the buck.  JMO and in know way am I criticisizing those that do the other.  As I said, id love to and I do think there is much benefit to those camps.  Would love more info on both the good and the bad ones.  Good thread.

[quote name="bearbryant" post="1411686" timestamp="1370590788"]
If money was no object, Id have mine going to several camps.  However, being that it is......I prefer to send mine to a speed camp.  I feel that I cant go wrong by making him faster, stronger, and more agile.  Plus its the tightwad in me that I tend to think that a 3 week speed camp vs a 4 day skills camp is more bang for the buck.  JMO and in know way am I criticisizing those that do the other.  As I said, id love to and I do think there is much benefit to those camps.  Would love more info on both the good and the bad ones.  Good thread.
[/quote]

What speed camp do you use?

55, the camp is worth the money simply because of the exposure it will give him.  Based on his size and his ability he will be receiving plenty of visits during his high school years.  My son is a sophomore and has been intoduced to several recruiters already.  They have all told him that they "can't coach size".  It also helps tremendously if the coach promotes his players as well and assuming your son attends HD I think Coach Finney will do just that.  It will also be beneficial if you maintain a good relationship with the AD.  Good luck to your son in the years ahead.

[quote name="Horns93" post="1411681" timestamp="1370581302"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=112421.msg1411613#msg1411613 date=1370565977]
[/quote]
Its possible, but I know kids that went to camps every year and go no where, and others that never attend camps and go to D1 schools. If you got it, you will get a ride, if not, a camp wont give it to you. The saddest thing I have seen is the kids that got it, but are two dumb to get in the school. Education is the most important.
[/quote]

Good post Horns.  But let me add to that.  The ones that don't go to camps and go  D1 is because of their 'potential', not because of how good they are in high school.  If a kid is 6'4" 260 and has good speed/feet, he can go D1 because they know by looking at his frame, he can be a 5th year senior in college weighing 300 and running sub 5.0 40s.  Unless HD's son grows another few inches, he won't fall into that category and would benefit greatly by attending camps.  I also like the post about speed camps.  There is no substitute for speed and quick feet at any position.

Until his last couple of years of high school, I would focus on the smaller camps that give more instruction in smaller groups.  Big school, 'showcase' camps serve a purpose but it's not to make a kid better.  JMO

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1411430" timestamp="1370538385"]
[/quote] Case closed!!! Your comments should be framed and published. As a parent, they will listen only for so long and you have to include "other training methods."  You can't keep your kid in the local area. He will only be one of the best in "your area." In the grand scheme of things, the locals are not your competition. They need to know and compete against the best.

[quote name="thebighornet" post="1411726" timestamp="1370614225"]
55, the camp is worth the money simply because of the exposure it will give him.  Based on his size and his ability he will be receiving plenty of visits during his high school years.  My son is a sophomore and has been intoduced to several recruiters already.  They have all told him that they "can't coach size".  It also helps tremendously if the coach promotes his players as well and assuming your son attends HD I think Coach Finney will do just that.  It will also be beneficial if you maintain a good relationship with the AD.  Good luck to your son in the years ahead.
[/quote]Really good post. Yes he attends HD, my son and I have a good relationship with Coach Finney. I was 6'4 270lbs my senior year of football at HD. I'm thinking my son will be that size also, if not bigger. As a 7th grader he is 6'0 257lbs (13 years old). Thanks for the feedback.

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1411729" timestamp="1370614545"]
[quote author=Horns93 link=topic=112421.msg1411681#msg1411681 date=1370581302]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=112421.msg1411613#msg1411613 date=1370565977]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good post Horns.  But let me add to that.  The ones that don't go to camps and go  D1 is because of their 'potential', not because of how good they are in high school.  If a kid is 6'4" 260 and has good speed/feet, he can go D1 because they know by looking at his frame, he can be a 5th year senior in college weighing 300 and running sub 5.0 40s.  Unless HD's son grows another few inches, he won't fall into that category and would benefit greatly by attending camps.  I also like the post about speed camps.  There is no substitute for speed and quick feet at any position.

Until his last couple of years of high school, I would focus on the smaller camps that give more instruction in smaller groups.  Big school, 'showcase' camps serve a purpose but it's not to make a kid better.  JMO
[/quote]The main reason for him attending the UT camp first is because he loves the Horns. I am thinking about Lamar next year instead of LSU. Kinda mix it up with big schools and small schools. I'm looking forward to when he is a freshman and can attend lineman specific camps. Monday's UT camp is a mix of everything I believe. Good post, all of yall, thanks.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1411826" timestamp="1370622818"]
[quote author=thebighornet link=topic=112421.msg1411726#msg1411726 date=1370614225]
[/quote]Really good post. Yes he attends HD, my son and I have a good relationship with Coach Finney. I was 6'4 270lbs my senior year of football at HD. I'm thinking my son will be that size also, if not bigger. As a 7th grader he is 6'0 257lbs (13 years old). Thanks for the feedback.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83