Huntington Basketball

[quote name="basketballcoach22" post="1391291" timestamp="1365085270"]
Does Huntington have athletes to be successful?  Can they be developed into athletes to be successful, if they don't already have them?  Can someone come in and put in the work over time and turn the basketball program around?
[/quote]Yes, yes and yes. But if you have to ask iF it can be done your probally not the one for the job. Your supposed to KNOW you can. Lol.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1391337" timestamp="1365095767"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110791.msg1391324#msg1391324 date=1365092245]
They will be successful if they get a huge amount of transfer athletes from Lufkin.  ;)
[/quote]

I wonder if they have an exceptional "communications program"?
[/quote]Nash, we have adopted that program back into existance. We need a little tutoring though.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1391337" timestamp="1365095767"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110791.msg1391324#msg1391324 date=1365092245]
They will be successful if they get a huge amount of transfer athletes from Lufkin.  ;)
[/quote]

I wonder if they have an exceptional "communications program"?
[/quote] double MeSsY!!

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1391351" timestamp="1365098676"]
Whoever is hired by Huntington ought to spend some time with coaches at Yates, Madison, and Triple A and learn the "ins and outs" of player acquistion.
[/quote] Huntington High is 1-a or 2-a? Hope they're not in 3-a. All acquisitions have been taken over

Thanks for the information.... and advice on recruiting. LOL.  (I'll leave that one ALONE.) There are many quality coaches who can do a good job, IF the kids and community support it, work at it, and commit to it over time.  However, there are some schools that just can't be successful based upon either their leadership in athletics, talent pool of the community versus their district, or work ethic of the athletes.  Those things are hard to change.  Some schools sell out to be great at football, at the expense of other sports.  Not saying that is wrong....just not where I want to coach basketball.  If a coach is a solid coach, has hard working kids with decent talent, and has full support in leadership and community, I say they will always be competitive.  But you have to have those things.  I can improve kids' skills.  I can improve their motivation.  I can give them solid teaching.  I can get them believing.....  but they have to be decent, hard working kids.  Just wondering about this community.....

[quote name="basketballcoach22" post="1391388" timestamp="1365107834"]
Thanks for the information.... and advice on recruiting. LOL.  (I'll leave that one ALONE.) There are many quality coaches who can do a good job, IF the kids and community support it, work at it, and commit to it over time.  However, there are some schools that just can't be successful based upon either their leadership in athletics, talent pool of the community versus their district, or work ethic of the athletes.  Those things are hard to change.  Some schools sell out to be great at football, at the expense of other sports.  Not saying that is wrong....just not where I want to coach basketball.  If a coach is a solid coach, has hard working kids with decent talent, and has full support in leadership and community, I say they will always be competitive.  But you have to have those things.  I can improve kids' skills.  I can improve their motivation.  I can give them solid teaching.  I can get them believing.....  but they have to be decent, hard working kids.  Just wondering about this community.....
[/quote]Good kids and good community. Gym is mostly full at games. Strongest freshmen and sophomore class that's been in years.....had the two best players in the district last year and one was district MVP. The AD job will be attached to the basketball coach next year. Good opportunity for someone.

Huntington had some good basketball teams 3 or 4 years ago but unfortunately, so did all other teams in their district.  I can remember several years back when there were 2 teams from their district playing in Huntsville at regional tournament.  I know they had at least one 20 win season and maybe 2; not exactly sure on that.  Talent pool has fallen there as has that whole district.  Not sure anyone won a playoff game this year and maybe last year.

I appreciate the info from all you guys.  Who has the returning squads in the district for next year?  I'm sure Hudson will be solid... saw highlights on their web page of JV and they are pretty well coached. It looks like the guy there is running a solid program.  Who else has solid returners, anybody know?

[quote name="no-look" post="1392262" timestamp="1365360297"]
[/quote]Lufkins ball is not round.....all you can do is kick it or pass it...  ;D
[/quote]Huntington needs that as well.  ;)

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1392274" timestamp="1365366291"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=110791.msg1392262#msg1392262 date=1365360297]
[/quote]Lufkins ball is not round.....all you can do is kick it or pass it...  ;D
[/quote]Huntington needs that as well.  ;)
[/quote].....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86