Players Better IN TX Due To Summerball

Read an interesting article by a former college coach stating that Texas basketball has gotten better within the last several years due to players playing in the summer months. It reminds me of the kid from Madison Houston (Kite?) who wasn't allowed to play in a summer camp back in the day. I think his lawsuit  opened the doors for many Texas players to be able to compete on a national level.

kids in Texas were set free when they were allowed to compete in the major camps and begin to compete at a higher level in high school.

Yep.  I came along during that time.  You could only play in sanctioned leagues, and there were only a couple in the Houston area, and they were basically all-star leagues (BCI run by Jay Parker).  And summer camps were not allowed if you were playing varsity the next school year.

Stupid, stupid rules.  Never understood it.

Was a BCI league between my jr and sr year for the top 60 returning srs in the Houston area.  I did not get picked, but my HS coach lobbied for me.  A couple kids did not make grades and couldn't play because of summer school, so I got in.  Tons of scouts at all the games, and a small school scholarship followed for me.  Great league. 

BD, since you are an old Houston guy, you may remember some of the names; Lance Blanks, Sean Gay, Gerry McGee, Tracy White, Tiko Crawford, Tony Gatlin, Steve Smith, Ivan Jones, Wendall Nibbs (Kemo), Andy Gilchrist, etc.  Lots of D-1 talent, but that was a long time ago...

[quote name="Pumper" post="1387528" timestamp="1363897142"]
Yep.  I came along during that time.  You could only play in sanctioned leagues, and there were only a couple in the Houston area, and they were basically all-star leagues (BCI run by Jay Parker).  And summer camps were not allowed if you were playing varsity the next school year.

Stupid, stupid rules.  Never understood it.

Was a BCI league between my jr and sr year for the top 60 returning srs in the Houston area.  I did not get picked, but my HS coach lobbied for me.  A couple kids did not make grades and couldn't play because of summer school, so I got in.  Tons of scouts at all the games, and a small school scholarship followed for me.  Great league. 

BD, since you are an old Houston guy, you may remember some of the names; Lance Blanks, Sean Gay, Gerry McGee, Tracy White, Tiko Crawford, Tony Gatlin, Steve Smith, Ivan Jones, Wendall Nibbs (Kemo), Andy Gilchrist, etc.  Lots of D-1 talent, but that was a long time ago...
[/quote]I remember Lance (UT?) Sean Gay @ Madison I think

Lance Blanks - UT, then Detroit Pistons for a while
Sean Gay - Texas Tech, then "cup of coffee" with the Spurs
Gerry McGee - UH (at the end of the Guy Lewis days)
Tracy White - D-1 for sure, but don't rememer which
Tiko Crawford - pretty sure HBU, bach when they were D-1
Tony Gatlin - TSU
Steve Smith - UH
Ivan Jones - Baylor
Wendall Nibbs - Juco (only because of grades)
Andy Gilchrist - Rice
Pat Crocklin - Central Florida

There were 8 guys from that Houston Madison team in that summer league and all got scholarships of some kind, including Gay, McGee, Gatlin, Jones, Nibbs, Crocklin, etc.  That team went 40-0, won state, and the closest margin of the year was 11 pts.  Best HS team I've ever seen and had nobody over 6'5".

[quote name="Pumper" post="1387851" timestamp="1363963171"]
Lance Blanks - UT, then Detroit Pistons for a while
Sean Gay - Texas Tech, then "cup of coffee" with the Spurs
Gerry McGee - UH (at the end of the Guy Lewis days)
Tracy White - D-1 for sure, but don't rememer which
Tiko Crawford - pretty sure HBU, bach when they were D-1
Tony Gatlin - TSU
Steve Smith - UH
Ivan Jones - Baylor
Wendall Nibbs - Juco (only because of grades)
Andy Gilchrist - Rice
Pat Crocklin - Central Florida

There were 8 guys from that Houston Madison team in that summer league and all got scholarships of some kind, including Gay, McGee, Gatlin, Jones, Nibbs, Crocklin, etc.  That team went 40-0, won state, and the closest margin of the year was 11 pts.  Best HS team I've ever seen and had nobody over 6'5".
[/quote]I remember Lance attended one of those fine "burb" schools in Houston. I don't think it was Memorial but a school close that level

Pretty sure Lance Blanks went to McCullough.  Don't think the school exists any more, does it?  I think it is now Woodlands HS.

I have a vague memory that Blanks dad played some pro football.  Not that it's relevant, but just popped into my head.

Lance drove a white corvette with the license plate "UDUNK1" or something like that.  Cocky dude, but he could play.  Had a heck of a college run under Penders at UT.

[quote name="Pumper" post="1387931" timestamp="1363978236"]
Pretty sure Lance Blanks went to McCullough.  Don't think the school exists any more, does it?  I think it is now Woodlands HS.

I have a vague memory that Blanks dad played some pro football.  Not that it's relevant, but just popped into my head.

Lance drove a white corvette with the license plate "UDUNK1" or something like that.  Cocky dude, but he could play.  Had a heck of a college run under Penders at UT.
[/quote] Yep, I knew it wasn't an inner city school. His dad , Sid Blanks at one time played with the Houston OIlers. I was about 3 months old and I went to see his dad in an AFL all star game at old Jeppensen Stadium. For some reason I want to say it was the very first AFL all star game. But just too young to remember. ;D

But back on subject, I think you raise a very valid point. Those guys are probably the ones who enjoyed the fruits of freedom using the summer camps to expand their knowledge of the game and start the trend that Texas players could play another game other than football.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder