Update:High School Shot Clock

Both sides make valid points, and I'm not sure which side I lean towards. I see the need to speed up the game. I also understand allowing high school coaches to use more strategy in order to win games.

I guess Plump (real guy from Hoosiers) doesn't get out much bc he believes recruiting doesn't happen at the high school level! ;D

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1367348" timestamp="1359299173"]
Both sides make valid points, and I'm not sure which side I lean towards. I see the need to speed up the game. I also understand allowing high school coaches to use more strategy in order to win games.

I guess Plump (real guy from Hoosiers) doesn't get out much bc he believes recruiting doesn't happen at the high school level! ;D
[/quote] Definitely some good points on both sides. The most interesting point that struck me and I've never given it a thought at the high school level are the ticket sales /fan support and high scoring games.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1367352" timestamp="1359301950"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=108684.msg1367348#msg1367348 date=1359299173]

[/quote] Definitely some good points on both sides. The most interesting point that struck me and I've never given it a thought at the high school level are the ticket sales /fan support and high scoring games.
[/quote]I'm not convinced that is the reason for low attendance, bc I have never heard anyone complain about that, u?
I notice a larger turnout when the game means more (PNG, Central, Ozen). We have a great turnout for most home games, but there is definitely a spike in attendance when we play more competitive teams. But that is the same with all sports in all towns.
I don't think a shot clock is NEEDED in HS Bball, but I would not oppose it, if one is implemented into the game. Should be at least 35 secs.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1367361" timestamp="1359304736"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=108684.msg1367352#msg1367352 date=1359301950]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=108684.msg1367348#msg1367348 date=1359299173]

[/quote]I'm not convinced that is the reason for low attendance, bc I have never heard anyone complain about that, u?
I notice a larger turnout when the game means more (PNG, Central, Ozen). We have a great turnout for most home games, but there is definitely a spike in attendance when we play more competitive teams. But that is the same with all sports in all towns.
I don't think a shot clock is NEEDED in HS Bball, but I would not oppose it, if one is implemented into the game. Should be at least 35 secs.
[/quote] Yep, not saying it would hep attendance either. just never heard that reason for a clock before. Texas will be the last State to implement a clock  :D but I'd go for 30 seconds.

No shot clock.

Unless the UIL supplies all the clocks and installs them for free at every school in Texas (not just 5A-4A Dove) and UIL supplies a person and pays them to run these clocks at every single gym in Texas (not just 5A-4A Dove).

This is really a ridiculous idea. Some schools have trouble getting people to run the scoreboard they have now.

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1367384" timestamp="1359310881"]
More shots will be taken with a shot clock and I think that is what most fans want to see.[b]As for money issue how did they find money to pay for three refs?[/b]
[/quote] When i was in HS it was always 2 refs with 1 alternate at our games.

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1367390" timestamp="1359315634"]
Make one of the refs shot clock operator and go back to two ref system[b].Less stars foul out of games and more shots taken.Just a thought.[/b]
[/quote]

I just witnessed last night a two-man crew call 58 fouls with 6 players foul out, 4 for a team who only suited out 8. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1367375" timestamp="1359308575"]
No shot clock.

Unless the UIL supplies all the clocks and installs them for free at every school in Texas (not just 5A-4A Dove) and UIL supplies a person and pays them to run these clocks at every single gym in Texas (not just 5A-4A Dove).

This is really a ridiculous idea. Some schools have trouble getting people to run the scoreboard they have now.
[/quote]
Agreed.

• 5 months later...
A shot clock would ruin the integrity of high school basketball(yeah, I know i"m a relic). I like to watch an up tempo game as much as anyone but not at the expense of taking away strengths from well disiplined teams. If you dont like the tempo of the other team let your defense determine the flo of the game.... It"s basketball, hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet... Or was that baseball?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin