Lady Bears take down Lumberton

Slam14

[b]FROM KOGT:[/b]
The LCM Lady Bears went on the road to play a talented Lumberton Lady Raiders team and responded with their best game of the year. The Lady Bears confused Lumberton early with their 1-1-3 zone defense limiting the Lady Raiders to just two 1st quarter field goals and 6 points while being aggressive offensively making 4 field goals and going 6 of 8 from the free throw line to take a 14 to 6 first quarter lead. The Lady Bears extended their lead to 29 to 20 at the half. The Lady Raider chipped away at the LCM lead by hitting seven 2nd half three point shots and cut the Lady Bear lead to two, 53-51, late in the 4th quarter before the LCM put them away with a 8 to 3 run to seal the game 61-54. Eight Lady Bears got into the scoring column. LCM was led in scoring by junior guard, Cassidy Webster, with 16 points. She was followed in scoring by Tara Thompson with 10 points, while Kayleigh Roy and Savanna Smith each contributed 8 points each and Josie Nimitz chipped in 6 points with 100% shooting on the night. Senior forward, Kayleigh Roy, led the Lady Bears in rebounding as they dominated the boards. Roy had 14 rebounds while freshman, Sheridan Rogers pulled down 7, and Tara Thompson pulled down 6. The Lady Bears had a season low 11 turnovers, while picking up 11 steals and forcing several other turnovers. The Lady Bears aggressive offensive attack earned them 28 free throws of which they made 20 (71% as a team). The Lady Bears will host the Central Lady Jaguars Tuesday night at the Bear Cave as they start the 2nd half of district play with the 9th grade starting at 4:30 followed by the JV and the varsity.

It was an entertaining game to watch and the paper did not lie. LCM came to play and flat outplayed the Raiders, they set up the game with an aggressive defense which really put the Raiders on their heels forcing 13 turnovers. In response the Raiders played a lot of individual basketball (I couldn't tell what kind of offense they were even running). One person would get the ball and try to drive and in response the Bears would block the lane forcing a highly contested shot from the Raiders. The Bears did well on offense as well working the ball around and scoring even on contested shots.

The Raiders were out coached in my opinion. By that I mean Goad made no adjustments throughout the entire game. Mainly staying in a passive 2-3 zone which gave the Bears too many easy shots from the field. Nothing was really done about the lack of an offense throughout the night by the Raiders as well.

Another heavy blow was sophomore scoring and defensive leader number 1 receiving three fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game, and then sitting until the third where she quickly received a 4th and fouled out early in the 4th (she played maybe 12 minutes of the game at most). In my opinion two fouls were warranted three were not. Number 10 also fouled out which hurt as well. I will say the Lady Raiders did a good job shooting to keep themselves in the game.

I hate to see that they have lagged off so bad since starting 12-1 beating teams like Port Arthur and Westbrook but in my opinion, until the Raiders get a coach who actually knows how to coach they will have a hard time winning. Overall the Bears were better coached and played a better game last night. Great job LCM.

[quote name="Texans Fan" post="1362863" timestamp="1358009842"]
It was an entertaining game to watch and the paper did not lie. LCM came to play and flat outplayed the Raiders, they set up the game with an aggressive defense which really put the Raiders on their heels forcing 13 turnovers. In response the Raiders played a lot of individual basketball (I couldn't tell what kind of offense they were even running). One person would get the ball and try to drive and in response the Bears would block the lane forcing a highly contested shot from the Raiders. The Bears did well on offense as well working the ball around and scoring even on contested shots.

The Raiders were out coached in my opinion. By that I mean Goad made no adjustments throughout the entire game. Mainly staying in a passive 2-3 zone which gave the Bears too many easy shots from the field. Nothing was really done about the lack of an offense throughout the night by the Raiders as well.

Another heavy blow was sophomore scoring and defensive leader number 1 receiving three fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game, and then sitting until the third where she quickly received a 4th and fouled out early in the 4th (she played maybe 12 minutes of the game at most). In my opinion two fouls were warranted three were not. Number 10 also fouled out which hurt as well. I will say the Lady Raiders did a good job shooting to keep themselves in the game.

I hate to see that they have lagged off so bad since starting 12-1 beating teams like Port Arthur and Westbrook but in my opinion, until the Raiders get a coach who actually knows how to coach they will have a hard time winning. Overall the Bears were better coached and played a better game last night. Great job LCM.
[/quote]

I agree Texan Fan.

[quote name="Texans Fan" post="1362863" timestamp="1358009842"]

[/quote]

LCM, like Lumberton, plays a whole lot of underclassmen.  They have had ups and downs all season, but played well against the Raiders. "Thank you"  to you and LR2014 for acknowledging the Bear's effort even in your frustrations.

I agree that a huge turning point in the game was the Lady Raiders foul trouble.  #1 is a great player and scorer and the frustration level seemed to grow with every foul called.  Even though the Raiders almost shot their way back into the game with 3's...it's hard to rely on that to carry you and Lumberton seemed content to take that route.  I'm not sure what the rebounding count was, but it seemed like Lumberton got very few 2nd chances on the offensive end.

I know its easy to question coaching, especially [u]after[/u] a game, but we all do it to some extent.  Just a side note to your comments in that department...at the half I gave some words of encouragement to some of the Bear players as they were coming out of the dressing room and told them what I thought was coming and maybe what to expect in the 2nd half....it never came. 

Good luck the rest of the season. ( in most of your games  ;)) 

I agree Slam, we are all experts in hindsight. We are young starting a freshman,  two sophmores, and two seniors who didnt play much last year. In fact the two sophmores are the only girls on the team with substantial experience from last year.

As far as frustrations with Coach Goad go. It seems as if she quit coaching the team after about their twentieth game. By this I mean she was actually adjusting as the half and as the game progressed to help the girls win. In multiple games they went into the half down 10+, and adjusted to come back for a win. She doesnt do that anymore. Whatever she starts the game in is what she finishes the game with. At other times she just doesnt put much thought into what she does. For example. When we played and lost to Nederland after beating them by 37 a week before. The offense we ran in that game was an offense she spent 30 minutes teaching them the day before the game. Gametime cane, they ran it ineffectively, and she never got out of it. After the game she threw the loss on the girls.

The last thing is this. Im not sure how long you stayed Friday but after the game she brought the girls into the gym, griped at them asking what was wrong with [u]them[/u] and why [u]they[/u] did such a bad job before lining them up to run baselines and do push ups as punishment for the game. I have no problem with punishment for a bad game, however we are 25 games into the season and this is the 1st time shes punished them this season. Its a little late in my opinion. I also didnt see her run a single baseline for her mediocre coaching that night.

Overall I do like Coach Goad and she has shown to have a lot of potential to be a good coach but its hard to understand what she has been doing lately.

[quote name="Texans Fan" post="1363383" timestamp="1358182753"]
I agree Slam, we are all experts in hindsight. We are young starting a freshman,  two sophmores, and two seniors who didnt play much last year. In fact the two sophmores are the only girls on the team with substantial experience from last year.

As far as frustrations with Coach Goad go. It seems as if she quit coaching the team after about their twentieth game. By this I mean she was actually adjusting as the half and as the game progressed to help the girls win. In multiple games they went into the half down 10+, and adjusted to come back for a win. She doesnt do that anymore. Whatever she starts the game in is what she finishes the game with. At other times she just doesnt put much thought into what she does. For example. When we played and lost to Nederland after beating them by 37 a week before. The offense we ran in that game was an offense she spent 30 minutes teaching them the day before the game. Gametime cane, they ran it ineffectively, and she never got out of it. After the game she threw the loss on the girls.

The last thing is this. Im not sure how long you stayed Friday but after the game she brought the girls into the gym, griped at them asking what was wrong with [u]them[/u] and why [u]they[/u] did such a bad job before lining them up to run baselines and do push ups as punishment for the game. I have no problem with punishment for a bad game, however we are 25 games into the season and this is the 1st time shes punished them this season. Its a little late in my opinion. I also didnt see her run a single baseline for her mediocre coaching that night.

Overall I do like Coach Goad and she has shown to have a lot of potential to be a good coach but its hard to understand what she has been doing lately.
[/quote]

"Post-game" answers are always a little easier to see.

I am always one of the last out of the gym on game night...in fact your girls were waiting for me and a few other parents to clear the floor so they could begin running.  I had no idea that this was a form of punishment. I just assumed this was conditioning done after each home game.
Although I certainly have an opinion...I think this would fall into the "not my business" catagory since it's not my daughter or school.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder