Fly fishing for Reds - southeast Texas Area

I like an 8wt fast rod with a weight forward floating line (WF8F). I like the fast/stiff rod because of the wind usually present on the coast (which is why I like a WF line) and the fight in the reds. I have used 9wt and 10wt but the 8wt is more enjoyable to cast for long periods. I know that some people like a 9wt more because of the wind.

The reds and trout will hit various styles of deceivers and poppers. For poppers I like the short big mouth saltwater poppers. Flies with chain bead eyes like the Crystal Minnow will sink a bit faster if you want to get it a bit more under the surface. I also have some sinking crab flies and they look great but I usually catch reds more shallow than on the bottom. Part of the problem may be my patience and where I fish. Sight casting for reds that are tailing will be good with crab flies where you are actually looking at a specific red that is slow moving and trying to draw a strike.

As far as tackle, what are you looking to spend. As you know, you can get a decent casting outfit for $100 or spend $3,000. I like TFO for mid range tackle and that was the last rig I bought for red fishing but so much of it is preference and budget.

[quote name="flyfisher" post="1353305" timestamp="1355195632"]
Thanks tvc - very helpful information. TFO rods have a lot to offer and I have always liked Lefty Kreh.  The BVK series looks reasonable.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

I watched Lefty tie flies at Orvis in Houston a few years ago and also went to the fly casting lessons that he was giving there. I had read his saltwater flyfishing book where he talks about casting like 100 feet just with the tip section. Then I witnessed it firsthand in about 15 mph winds. Unbelievable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiaa