best quarterbacks in hamshire fannett's history

a little tidbit before i start my list , from 1970-1979 hamshire fannett's quarterbacks represented their respected district be it 22-aa or 18-aa. in a 9 year time spand 7 times recieving  1st team all district , mvp of the district  and outstanding back of the district .1) les konneing jr (1974-1975) went 20-2 as a starter took over the qb job as a sophmore went 7-1 won district in 1974 , in 1975 went 13-1 in 2 years he lost 1 district game went to the semi finals, passed for over 1600 yrds with 16 td passes and rushed for over 1000 with 16 tds . oh did i mention he played db and had 10 ints he was all district db as well . too bad him and his father left hamshire to go to houston memorial where he led his team to the semifinals in 4a ball falling to the legendary png team . 2) charles deshotel (1976-1978) 3 yr starter for the horns had the large task of filling les koenning jr shoes as a sophmore, in 1976 a lot of key players didnt come back from that semifinals team that were all district so the team was young. his record improved every year , by his senior year in 1978 the horns had a new coach phil danaher and a seasoned group . charles led the team to  9-3 record , district title , bi district title and a trip to regionals against sealy tigers who had eric dickerson . charles had 866yrds passing with 7 tds and 742 rushing with 14tds plus they had two 1000yrd backs and a defense that pitched 5 shutouts that year , he was a southpaw who was a precise passer with with great running skills . charles has the distinct honor of being hamshire's first full time  african american qb.  3) flip johnson (1979-1980) who compiled a 17-5 record starting for the horns in 1980 the horns went 10-2 with flip winning district the 1st 20-3a title and bi-district, title extremly smooth with a strong arm , with a smooth running style with quick feet  a two time all district selection . he was also hamshire's 1st alumni to go pro if im not mistaken . 4) scott meloncon 1972 -1973 a two time all district 1st teamer on teams that were ranked, too bad during this time it was only 1 represenative from the district . even though teams back then could share a district title he was a winning qb for the horns. 5) al baker 1971 was the qb of the team that won the 22-aa district title that year , he was also the 22-aa all district qb , eventhough hamshire eventually lost to kirbyville the horns were getting put on the map in the 70's . 5)allen hammonds (1981-1983) hammonds lead the horns to a district title in 1983 and was all district 1st team that year  had a cannon for an arm  with a tight spiral , could stand flat footed and throw over 60 yrds easily .6) ricky bayse (1984-1985) i may get some flack for this one , ricky didnt lead the horns to  a district title (thanks to charlie wilson )  but ricky made plays with his feet as well as his arm . he lead the league in passsing that year he also had about 16 tds ,  in fact he was  7th or 8th in the state that year in yrds . ricky was awarded all district qb 2nd team , but was named outstanding back of 20-3a that year because of his play (kenny ford was 1st team who ran the option and didnt throw )  he was also honarble mention as a safety , he would pop you !!! that is my list , now i didnt get a chance to see a lot of the qbs after 87 so alumni help me out we can tweek the list and add on from the late 80's and througout the 90's especially the kid that threw the ball too felmen malvaeux , share your thoughts .

i played against kenny ford my senior year his jr year and he ran the ball with kenny everfield  im talking 85 not 86 when he was a far better passer his sr year than his jr year .  their  top receiver was  brian hall who caught very few  passes , he ran reverses . the top 2 recievers that year in 1985 20-3a was blaine shellhammer and derrick deshotel very few teams that year threw the ball like we did . your talking about the 1986 season  when he was throwing to graylon johnson and they were both all state that year they lost to cuero in the semifinals .

[quote name="12gage" post="1295962" timestamp="1349867660"]
Besides george the other back was Anthony Simon , who might have. Been the BEST back in HF history!
[/quote] what was the qb name of that team ? did you graduate from hamshire ? them guys were putting up points , im just curious on the qb , hamshire has a long line of great backs that played there that started in the 70's , thats another thread in itself .

[quote name="Txdragon" post="1296049" timestamp="1349875912"]
I remember when the Horns were a powerhouse team..I am  just curious and honestly not ragging on you guys. What was the difference between then and now in your opinion? Coaching not the same, talent pool not as deep, or the district got a lot tougher?
[/quote] i look at like this les koenning went 69-27-1 in 9 yrs as a head coach for hamshire he put them on the map in the 70's , however they had him being  a head coach , track and field coach , taught all the pe's,  taught spanish and drove the bus for $18,000 back in 75 . memorial offers him $2000.00 more dollars to be head coach and help with the athletic department ,thats it !! concentrate on football . needless to say he left went to memorial the next yr and went 12-1 and went to the qtr finals and the rest is history . he is a hall of fame coach with over 200 wins , what if he would have stayed ? with the talent coming up from 76-86 he would have built a dynasty , that competes every year for the district title and go deep into the playoffs . phil danaher 1978-1983 43-22 3 district titles 2 bi district titles , he was just getting warmed up . i never knew the whole story but it was a lot of meddling parents during that time , just let the man coach !!! well he is 2nd all times in wins , has a stadium named after him , they are in the playoffs every year and go deep in the playoffs you dont see losing records there , he built a juggernaunt why not hamshire ??? (you see where im going ?) coach tarver  coached 16 yrs at hamshire compiled a 116-58-4 record went to the playoffs 10 of the 16yrs there , he had the most all state players that  played for him , he produced a couple of pro ball players , you have have to crown him , pay him , and honor him . no , he leaves goes to bridge city coaches for another 5 years and wins 3 district titles and retires , those titles could have been at hamshire !! you see you have 2 hall of fame coaches and possibly a third that has come through hamshire in the last 36 years, hamshire is suppose to be a power house in 3a possibly like a sealy , png , odessa permiam , dangerfield and a lot of other schools that compete year in and year out , it was always talent between hamshire , winnie , labelle , fannett and cheeks . winning brings money and these guys  won on a consistent basis , you gotta pay these people for their works and tell those meddling parents to just get in the stands and cheer . there is no reason why hamshire is suppose to be celler dwellers for 10yrs when you have had all that coaching and great players that come  through that school .

[quote name="#62jjohnson" post="1296073" timestamp="1349878729"]
[quote author=Txdragon link=topic=104432.msg1296049#msg1296049 date=1349875912]
I remember when the Horns were a powerhouse team..I am  just curious and honestly not ragging on you guys. What was the difference between then and now in your opinion? Coaching not the same, talent pool not as deep, or the district got a lot tougher?
[/quote] i look at like this les koenning went 69-27-1 in 9 yrs as a head coach for hamshire he put them on the map in the 70's , however they had him being  a head coach , track and field coach , taught all the pe's,  taught spanish and drove the bus for $18,000 back in 75 . memorial offers him $2000.00 more dollars to be head coach and help with the athletic department ,thats it !! concentrate on football . needless to say he left went to memorial the next yr and went 12-1 and went to the qtr finals and the rest is history . he is a hall of fame coach with over 200 wins , what if he would have stayed ? with the talent coming up from 76-86 he would have built a dynasty , that competes every year for the district title and go deep into the playoffs . phil danaher 1978-1983 43-22 3 district titles 2 bi district titles , he was just getting warmed up . i never knew the whole story but it was a lot of meddling parents during that time , just let the man coach !!! well he is 2nd all times in wins , has a stadium named after him , they are in the playoffs every year and go deep in the playoffs you dont see losing records there , he built a juggernaunt why not hamshire ??? (you see where im going ?) coach tarver  coached 16 yrs at hamshire compiled a 116-58-4 record went to the playoffs 10 of the 16yrs there , he had the most all state players that  played for him , he produced a couple of pro ball players , you have have to crown him , pay him , and honor him . no , he leaves goes to bridge city coaches for another 5 years and wins 3 district titles and retires , those titles could have been at hamshire !! you see you have 2 hall of fame coaches and possibly a third that has come through hamshire in the last 36 years, hamshire is suppose to be a power house in 3a possibly like a sealy , png , odessa permiam , dangerfield and a lot of other schools that compete year in and year out , it was always talent between hamshire , winnie , labelle , fannett and cheeks . winning brings money and these guys  won on a consistent basis , you gotta pay these people for their works and tell those meddling parents to just get in the stands and cheer . there is no reason why hamshire is suppose to be celler dwellers for 10yrs when you have had all that coaching and great players that come  through that school .
[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate the history lesson. Good people out there and I hope you turn it around. WOS has been very lucky to have Coach Hooks and Coach Thompson for as long as we have.

[quote name="friendswoodkid" post="1296563" timestamp="1349907097"]
I played against derrick deshotel and anthony james, I played for sfa I was the starting running back on that 86 squad I rushed for almost 1200 yards I got hurt against crockett, but hf was good my jr yr but my sr yr we beatem pretty good matter of fact I drug deshotel in the end zone for a td in that game
[/quote] thats funny about derrick , what is your name my man ? i may remember you i was a sr on our 85 team , yall hasd some nice players . my man was john evans he was a beast and so was fred rhians , they were the best linebacker  tandem in the district that year (85) hands down !!! i was number 62 i played linebacker , we had mutual respect for one another ability  , we were the best linebackers in the district that year (they screwd me and fred ) . kip was a helluva cornerback . you guys had some great teams .

[quote name="12gage" post="1296502" timestamp="1349903283"]
Money, that's the key , all left for more money, tarver left because the board would not update anything, then the board got two coaches that were at best not good, price started to turn things and I think Harris will too just give him time,
[/quote] that is always the key , whats sad is you have coaches that coach at places forever look at the coach that coached at newton , i mean newton is in the hunt every year and have a good tradition . i personally dont think that hamshire community wants a coach that is powerful that would demand upgrading where ever he sees fit , they want to play puppet master , now they wonder why its been a 10 yr drought . i hear the freshman class is talented , so maybe there is hope in the near future .

[quote name="#62jjohnson" post="1296618" timestamp="1349912588"]
[quote author=12gage link=topic=104432.msg1296502#msg1296502 date=1349903283]
Money, that's the key , all left for more money, tarver left because the board would not update anything, then the board got two coaches that were at best not good, price started to turn things and I think Harris will too just give him time,
[/quote] that is always the key , whats sad is you have coaches that coach at places forever look at the coach that coached at newton , i mean newton is in the hunt every year and have a good tradition . i personally dont think that hamshire community wants a coach that is powerful that would demand upgrading where ever he sees fit , they want to play puppet master , now they wonder why its been a 10 yr drought . i hear the freshman class is talented , so maybe there is hope in the near future .
[/quote]
I am sure you have parents like that at allot of places. I do agree you pay someone to stay, but some coaches want to move to 4A and 5A or even higher.

[quote name="#62jjohnson" post="1296618" timestamp="1349912588"]
[quote author=12gage link=topic=104432.msg1296502#msg1296502 date=1349903283]
[/quote]
The freshman class no doubt has talent, but they have more involved parents than talent. That will be the downfall to that grade is the people in the stands trying to coach.

[quote name="friendswoodkid" post="1297612" timestamp="1350031315"]
Yes sir that's me we had a rivalry with hf in baseball, they had a lefty named freeman he was good and another dude randle my sophomore year they beat us it was a great rivalry with them.  John evans was a beast, he was ray lewis before ray lewis.  Fred rhine was awesome 2, some great times
[/quote]

I remember you but I am an EC guy not a HF guy.  I played those years again SFA and HF..  I was the District MVP in baseball in 87 and we won the District Title... Freeman was the MVP in the District for Baseball in 86...I still run into him a couple times a year.  If i recall you had one of the best Batting Averages in 87.

On the football side..  John Evans and I shared the all-district LB status.  I think SFA beat us 40-0 that year.  We lost about 4 lineman in that game and Ford ran wild.  Didn't Evans commit to Notre Dame but end up somewhere else?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33