Shepherd @ Kountze predictions

This comment is not directed at anyone in general...just wonder how the rest of you would feel about this issue...Attended a school board meeting a couple of days ago where certain school board members and supporters were really demonizing the Kountze  Athletic program because the program did not get the same in kind % of budget cuts the Band program took on...Included in these cuts was the elimination of private lessons for band students.  Then the board or certain members shoved enough and got the lessons restored to the budget and asked for complete cuts  across the  budget to every extra curricular activity...I mean lets be fair but now those supporting the band program are willing to punish everybody just so they can keep private lessons. You know when I wanted my son to be better at the sport he excels at we went and got private lesson, which I paid for, but because playing an instrument is more respectable and productive than my stupid jock of a son's sport he plays...he works just as hard to be great at his passion as a band student. The district does not offer my son private lesson...well I take that back if he plays football he gets private lessons or just as good because football has position coaches. I am not bashing the band I am just saying fair goes both ways and over the years in Kountze the athletic program has been underfunded in comparison to other districts.  I am just glad our athletic program is allowed to be good at one sport and on a lenient year maybe two! You know band is great, it teaches kids discipline, dedication and gives a sense of achievement, plus if your good enough you can even go to college on a scholarship. Wow, just thought about something...kids who play sports, girls and boys, get those exact same benefits. Just asking people to be fair and respect what is important to others, because I respect how hard others work, their needs, and minimize their intrest.     

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="sport1971" post="1254823" timestamp="1346353119"]
This comment is not directed at anyone in general...just wonder how the rest of you would feel about this issue...Attended a school board meeting a couple of days ago where certain school board members and supporters were really demonizing the Kountze  Athletic program because the program did not get the same in kind % of budget cuts the Band program took on...Included in these cuts was the elimination of private lessons for band students.  Then the board or certain members shoved enough and got the lessons restored to the budget and asked for complete cuts  across the  budget to every extra curricular activity...I mean lets be fair but now those supporting the band program are willing to punish everybody just so they can keep private lessons. You know when I wanted my son to be better at the sport he excels at we went and got private lesson, which I paid for, but because playing an instrument is more respectable and productive than my stupid jock of a son's sport he plays...he works just as hard to be great at his passion as a band student. The district does not offer my son private lesson...well I take that back if he plays football he gets private lessons or just as good because football has position coaches. I am not bashing the band I am just saying fair goes both ways and over the years in Kountze the athletic program has been underfunded in comparison to other districts.  I am just glad our athletic program is allowed to be good at one sport and on a lenient year maybe two! You know band is great, it teaches kids discipline, dedication and gives a sense of achievement, plus if your good enough you can even go to college on a scholarship. Wow, just thought about something...kids who play sports, girls and boys, get those exact same benefits. Just asking people to be fair and respect what is important to others, because I respect how hard others work, their needs, and minimize their intrest.   
[/quote]
Whats crazy is the band already had a greater budget than any of the athletic programs.. its sad

$85,000.00 from what I am told...last years budget...not counting salaries...that's like twice as much as other districts...you know I don't care if it's $200,000.00 as long as the district can afford it and the other extra curricular activities are treated equally. FYI...Kountze can not afford to pay attention right now because the previous board and administration ran our little district in the ground by mishandling our bond issue, and yearly overruns in budget...KICK THE CAN DOWN THE ROAD...sorry back to friday night...I want these kids to be successful so all the roll over and play dead athletic supporters "insert sarcasm" can have something to BOO and HISS over! 

[quote name="Numberoneonly" post="1254842" timestamp="1346355462"]
Yeah 1971....finally someone understands great post,also be nice to see football or any one or all sports go on one of those road trips the band takes what's the cost of that?
[/quote]And I'm not bashing the band..they are a part of the program.

I will support each and every kid who wants to chase a dream...does not matter if its band, choir, track, underwater basket making ect... I don't care! just stop undermining the interest of kids who have a different passion.  I am tired of the kids in this district being pidgin holed. 

By the way...most people know who I am...sport 1971  (Andrew Marshall) By the way I am running for school Board against Donna Moody who is a very nice lady of which I respect for her 27 years (I think) of service as a trustee, but the aforementioned is an issue that we do not agree on which is apparent by her words, attitude and recorded votes. 

1971, I am just curious, do you how many other area schools fund private lessons for the band students. (Nothing against the band students, I think band is great.)  However, I know that if Kountze has enough money to fund private band lessons, than it should also fund private athletic lessons.  Everything should be balanced.  I would like to think that the school board cares about all the children's future the same.  So, in that aspect, private lessons should be given to everybody. ;D  What a statement it would make, if the parents of every athlete that particpates for Kountze, would show up at the next board meeting, to express their feelings on the matter.

That is my thoughts exactly...whats good for the goose is good for the gander...or something like that! Anyway, parents of athletes in Kountze should be furious about the unfair treatment. Look issues go way deeper than just sports...curriculum is just as important, because none of the talented students in our district can take advantage of scholarship opportunities if they have not been properly prepared for college and that is a big problem...alot of folks think why change a thing because little Johnny or Johnny Sue is  just gonna be a hand when they grow up...Look; everybody is good at something and there is not a thing in world wrong with that but respect other peoples goals in life and get out of the way of progress! I want more for my kids...I want them to have an easier more successful go at life than I have had. Just don't want folks to think all I care about is athletics, because with out the books...athletics by itself will not cut it 99.9% time.  This is a sports forum so I was just talking sports related stuff...sorry to have gotten off task.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder