2012 Crosby Cougars Team Preview

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1242872" timestamp="1344443478"]
Husker's weights of the D-Line are legit.The weights of the line-backers are also legit.As for as 40 times you go to enough camps you will find someone with a fast thumb.Bottom line Nederland has something special this year on defense.I understand you doubting us.I promise you these guys are big and move well.Just pray we stay healthy.
[/quote]

I never doubted the weights of the LBs or that these are good players, but having a DL that averages 270 and all run a sub 5 is a little over the top.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1242752" timestamp="1344382823"]
[quote author=bronco pride link=topic=101395.msg1241905#msg1241905 date=1344017579]
One of the twins ran a 4.64 at a summer combine. I would say crosby has descent speed and thats about it.
[/quote]

There's a difference though.  You take that 4.64 & add in a lot of elusive moves, (which the twins have) and it seems more like a 4.4.
[/quote]im not knocking them they are good football players. But to say nederland wont be able to handle crosbys speed is stupid. Also you better be elusive when your 5"6 and 165lbs. Its kinda hard to not be elusive at that size.

Hey falcon I will tell you the truth about Brock as he is my son. He is 6'1.25" tall and weighed 281 lbs the first day of practice. He has run a sub 5 at 4.98 but it is more like a 5.1 on average thru this summer. It all depended on the time of day and heat. He worked hard this summer to put muscle on and lose some belly . As far as the weights on the other D linemen they are right on. DeShawn 6'3" at 275 lbs and right at 5.08. Caleb Malveaux 5'11" at 291 lbs and 5.2, and Colby 6"3" tall at 240 lbs and 4.89. These were the first day of 2 a day weights. Tyhe 40 times are averages of several camp times over summer. As far as speed the twins are fast at 4.6 but Shaw ran as fast as a 4.4 this summer Zach Taylor 4.56 and this was after spring knee surgery. I seen both those times with my own eyes. We will not be the fastest team nor the biggest but we have an awesome team chemistry led by a great coaching staff. Good Luck this season and may it always be injury free. P.s. Brock does have some offers but that is our business lol.

[quote name="phunter308" post="1243186" timestamp="1344486034"]
Hey falcon I will tell you the truth about Brock as he is my son. He is 6'1.25" tall and weighed 281 lbs the first day of practice. He has run a sub 5 at 4.98 but it is more like a 5.1 on average thru this summer. It all depended on the time of day and heat. He worked hard this summer to put muscle on and lose some belly . As far as the weights on the other D linemen they are right on. DeShawn 6'3" at 275 lbs and right at 5.08. Caleb Malveaux 5'11" at 291 lbs and 5.2, and Colby 6"3" tall at 240 lbs and 4.89. These were the first day of 2 a day weights. Tyhe 40 times are averages of several camp times over summer. As far as speed the twins are fast at 4.6 but Shaw ran as fast as a 4.4 this summer Zach Taylor 4.56 and this was after spring knee surgery. I seen both those times with my own eyes. We will not be the fastest team nor the biggest but we have an awesome team chemistry led by a great coaching staff. Good Luck this season and may it always be injury free. P.s. Brock does have some offers but that is our business lol.
[/quote]

I never doubted the how good these boys are, but when someone tells me there are 4 high school kids that average 270 and all run 4.9s or lower I am going to be a little skeptical. Its nothing personal and I wish your son the best for the upcoming season and for his future in college.

[quote name="phunter308" post="1243192" timestamp="1344489826"]
Thanks everyone needs a little luck. Does Crosby still have a  some big o linemen. I remember the playoffs 2 years ago and they were  large.
[/quote]

I don't know, I'm not from Crosby. I would tell you to check DCTF, but we just saw how accurate that was. I suppose that is what I get for trusting DCTF. I thought that they could atleast get heights and weighs right, but I guess that is too much to ask.

Guest Cap Rock Brewing Co.
Crosby's o-line probably averages 215 this year. They have some tall and lanky kids at OT and they are probably a little more athletic than year's past but I think OL is the big weak spot of this team. They aren't going to pound anyone that's for sure.

The defense is going to be really athletic and may surprise some people.

[quote name="Cap Rock Brewing Co." post="1243645" timestamp="1344610151"]
Crosby's o-line probably averages 215 this year. They have some tall and lanky kids at OT and they are probably a little more athletic than year's past but I think OL is the big weak spot of this team. They aren't going to pound anyone that's for sure.

The defense is going to be really athletic and may surprise some people.
[/quote]

So a HS spread offense =-).

I'm excited about the 3 walters how bought u cap.

They look good on film with quickness and speed. Is 76 and 74 still tackles this year or graduated. Nederland will really have to contain and tackle them the  first time. I see potential for  a lot of bubble screens and some option from those two. If the defense for Crosby is decent it may be who can outscore who.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1242878" timestamp="1344444994"]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=101395.msg1242872#msg1242872 date=1344443478]
Husker's weights of the D-Line are legit.The weights of the line-backers are also legit.As for as 40 times you go to enough camps you will find someone with a fast thumb.Bottom line Nederland has something special this year on defense.I understand you doubting us.I promise you these guys are big and move well.Just pray we stay healthy.
[/quote]

I never doubted the weights of the LBs or that these are good players, but having a DL that averages 270 and all run a sub 5 is a little over the top.
[/quote] First of all it's ridiculous to start make scoring predictions about any teams or future games, like one guy said earlier "if we knew we would be in vegas". Saying that however, the size of the defensive line irrelevant. I've looked for these guys profile on rivals and scout.com but couldn't really find much on any besides the Pryor guy. 6-1 273 is what espn says he goes which means he probably plays with good leverage but his lateral quickness numbers are below average compared to the other dt's camp numbers I've looked at. Tells me they're going to be big and stationary. Couldn't find any offers on rivals or scout for Pryor and he's not officially ranked on any recruiting service. Crosby's line is going to be pretty average this year, probably going 6-2.5 230 lbs. Tackles are very athletic and the defense only lost 3 real starters. Justin Walter(twins older brother) cb, and Vlad Hernandez(1st team all-district last year) lb, are going to be the bell cows. Vidor couldn't handle Crosby's speed last year. They fumbled the opening kickoff and got in an early hole, Vidor played 3 yards and a cloud of offense which Crosby never adjusted to. Hence Flannigan's firing. 400+ yards of offense with very few possesions, Thursday night with no crowd support with Vidor playing a home game. They even had their home announcer complete with the phantom officiating they're legendary for on that side of the river. I'm not going to make an official prediction yet but I will pose a question. If Crosby beat nederland all three time the last three years they played including two in the playoffs, what makes this year so different? Going to watch Crosby scrimmage St. Thomas in crosby tomorrow, will have a prediction after I see the new offense. 

well, let's see...vidor did "handle" Crosby's speed to the tune of a 42-20 victory last season...if that is "not handling" Crosby's speed, then i hope Nederland can't handle it either...keep in mind that Vidor was the 3rd place team in our district and they beat Crosby by 3 TDs...Nederland was the district champs and have 16 of those starters returning

Look, I respect Crosby and do think that the Dogs will have their hands full with those twins...they are very talented and will pose problems for anyone...just don't act like they are unbeatable because the facts state that they were 6-5 last year, meaning that 5 teams got the best of them last year...no one is unbeatable, you are better served to respect all of your opponents...

As for Nederland's defense, you are right...they are terrible...Crosby will likely hang 70 points  ;)

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Razor" post="1245784" timestamp="1345145641"]
well, let's see...vidor did "handle" Crosby's speed to the tune of a 42-20 victory last season...if that is "not handling" Crosby's speed, then i hope Nederland can't handle it either...keep in mind that Vidor was the 3rd place team in our district and they beat Crosby by 3 TDs...Nederland was the district champs and have 16 of those starters returning

Look, I respect Crosby and do think that the Dogs will have their hands full with those twins...they are very talented and will pose problems for anyone...just don't act like they are unbeatable because the facts state that they were 6-5 last year, meaning that 5 teams got the best of them last year...no one is unbeatable, you are better served to respect all of your opponents...

As for Nederland's defense, you are right...they are terrible...Crosby will likely hang 70 points  ;)
[/quote]

Shakin' my head.

Guest Cap Rock Brewing Co.
Crosby averaged 10 yards a carry against Vidor. Speed was a big problem for Vidor. Crosby scored on like 6 plays on first posession. Vidor then drove down 3 yards a time on one of those patented 16 play drives, then Crosby answered back to make it 14-7 on like 4 plays on their second possession. The difference was Crosby's 4 turnovers. Capitalizing on a Crosby dropped punt or kick return and the other fumbles lost were not a problem for Vidor. They deserved to win and Crosby didn't. Vidor earned it.

Vidor was good, well-coached and beat Crosby by doing what Vidor does best. Quirante was one of the best true football players I had seen in a long time. But to say Vidor didn't have trouble with speed is a little far-fetched. When Crosby got down by two scores they were taken out of their game plan, and that was the game.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Razor" post="1245833" timestamp="1345151937"]
what's the matter, pat...make too much sense for ya
[/quote]

Not exactly what comes to mind.

[quote name="Razor" post="1245784" timestamp="1345145641"]

[/quote]

Love revisionist history mate.

I love how we don't look at the fact that ball positioning, special teams, and turnovers helped Vidor tremendously in that game. They scored 48 points on 306 yards of offense... all rushing offense. 3 Crosby players ran the football all 3 had better yards per run averages than any player on Vidor. The thing that lost Crosby the game, was defense, not offense 2 turnovers don't help but the defense played horribly and vidor was smart... the play was run away from caldicut every play and once Hernandez went down... no one could stop the FB on third down. Was a poor showing by that defense, and a pretty strong showing given the circumstance by the offense, for crosby to have won that game our offense would have had to score literally every time they had the ball, that's how little possession we had of the ball. 

The coaching staff of vidor new they weren't fast and had trouble with speed so they did what slow teams do, take the air out the ball... in there case they literally flattened the ball and just handed it off every play because it was working.

Vidor was the better team because Crosby clearly had a much worse defense.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1249008" timestamp="1345693076"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=101395.msg1245784#msg1245784 date=1345145641]

[/quote]

I love how we don't look at the fact that ball positioning, special teams, and turnovers helped Vidor tremendously in that game. They scored 48 points on 306 yards of offense... all rushing offense. 3 Crosby players ran the football all 3 had better yards per run averages than any player on Vidor. The thing that lost Crosby the game, was defense, not offense 2 turnovers don't help but the defense played horribly and vidor was smart... the play was run away from caldicut every play and once Hernandez went down... no one could stop the FB on third down. Was a poor showing by that defense, and a pretty strong showing given the circumstance by the offense, for crosby to have won that game our offense would have had to score literally every time they had the ball, that's how little possession we had of the ball. 

The coaching staff of vidor new they weren't fast and had trouble with speed so they did what slow teams do, take the air out the ball... in there case they literally flattened the ball and just handed it off every play because it was working.

[/quote]

So, what are your saying, Cougtalk?  That Crosby got their "arses" kicked by a team that you thought not
capable or are all those excuses meant to explain how the football gods were just against the Cougars in that Vidor game?  Let it go man!  You were out-coached and you were certainly out-played.  Seems like you would want to move on to another chance - another year - another season.  Ahhh, high school football.  Is there anything better?

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1249026" timestamp="1345698801"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=101395.msg1249008#msg1249008 date=1345693076]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=101395.msg1245784#msg1245784 date=1345145641]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So, what are your saying, Cougtalk?  That Crosby got their "arses" kicked by a team that you thought not
capable or are all those excuses meant to explain how the football gods were just against the Cougars in that Vidor game?  Let it go man!  You were out-coached and you were certainly out-played.  Seems like you would want to move on to another chance - another year - another season.  Ahhh, high school football.  Is there anything better?
[/quote]

He didn't say Crosby should've won the game, he even said Vidor was the better team. He was just pointing out that Vidor struggled with Crosby's speed, but Vidor was able to overcome that by capitalizing on mistakes and playing good D. I don't think that is an unreasonable statement.

It's hard to get past the fact that last year Crosby had some of thier best talent in the last few years and lost several games they shouldn't have. There was a loss to Lee last year where we were up 10 points with approx. 3 mins left in the game and Flannigan tried to throw a pass which was fumbled or intercepted that in turn allowed Lee to come back and win 33-32. Be it not for that loss, Crosby wins the district and plays the last place team from 20-4a and probably has a different result. Vidor wasn't then or isn't now a more talented team than Crosby, they were just better coached and got some breaks. Crosby wins that game 7 or 8 out of 10 time on a "real" neutral field. Barbers Hill won the district last year and got out-atheleted from whistle to whistle by Crosby. Flannigan didn't have to make any real decisions in that game cause it wasn't that close. I wish Kevin the best and think in due time he's going to give North Shore all they can handle. The talent margins are too close in 19-4a to make bad decisions or slow adjustments. Twins looked bigger, faster, stronger in the St. Thomas scrimmage, kind of ran it at will. Not all that great passing but hopefully it improves once the players get more familiar with the o. Huge offensive and defensive lines from St. Thomas were a good tune up for Nederland. Don't think Nederland is going to be that big, but either way they weren't really a problem. I think Aaron Sharp is going to make the ESPNU 150 next year, saying that I think goes for over 3,000 through the air in this district. My district 19-4a playoff predictions are as follows.   
                              1. Summer Creek - Sharp might be the best qb in the 2014 class in Texas
                              2. Crosby - Twins are going to put up nearly 3000 rushing yards between them
                              3. Dayton - They're always there, Hererra's loss is bigger than expected though
                              4. Barbers Hill - Every decade they're good for a couple of years
*Whoever wins the Crosby/Dayton game ends up in second place.

I don't believe the hype on Summer Creek and i don't believe sharp has been tested, and more importantly i don't think any team in this district is the clear favorite... i think Crosby is more confident than they have been in quite a few years... the kids have an expectation of winning and i haven't heard a single bad word from a player about Coach Riordan... that NEVER happened with Flan. From the first day Flannigan walked through the door people seemed to have problems with him, good man just rubbed people the wrong way i guess. I always liked him, but theirs one huge transition happening this year.... The basketball players are playing football... all of them. That hasn't happened in a long time, the result is Crosby is more athletic than its been.

As for tigers my point is Crosby lossed that game and Vidor won that game... and the difference in score was because both things happened simultaneously.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1249787" timestamp="1345778530"]
I don't believe the hype on Summer Creek and i don't believe sharp has been tested, and more importantly i don't think any team in this district is the clear favorite... i think Crosby is more confident than they have been in quite a few years... the kids have an expectation of winning and i haven't heard a single bad word from a player about Coach Riordan... that NEVER happened with Flan. From the first day Flannigan walked through the door people seemed to have problems with him, good man just rubbed people the wrong way i guess. I always liked him, but theirs one huge transition happening this year.... The basketball players are playing football... all of them. That hasn't happened in a long time, the result is Crosby is more athletic than its been.

As for tigers my point is Crosby lossed that game and Vidor won that game... and the difference in score was because both things happened simultaneously.
[/quote]

Vigor Tigers?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder