Best Coach In SETX??

Not a follower of any of these schools, but I do follow football in general in the Triangle and have do so for many years. Best coach? That would be Larry Neumann. Bulldogs were not consistent winners before he arrived. Larry has made that program what it is, and it is a consistent winning program and the tradition it has built has his signature on it.

After Larry, it is Cornell Thompson. Even though Cornell is the new HC at The Corral, all WOS insiders know that Cornell has been more than Dan Ray's right-hand man. When Cornell briefly left years ago, the program dipped. When he came back, the program immediately returned to dominance. Cornell brings a great deal to the table with his brilliant off-season program and his excellent abilities as DC.

Best "up and coming" coach: Kenny Harrison at Memorial. Talent is coming out of the ears at Memorial, but they have not been what everyone thought they should be until Kenny took the reins. You can say he has talent to work with, but it's another thing to say that one is meeting expectations and then some. Kenny did that last season, and he has theprogram turning the corner as everyone envisioned over ten years ago. Those kids toe the line with Kenny in charge; something those before him were not able to do. Not to mention, his 5A district is tough as nails and difficult to consistently win in.

Larry Neumann is obviously the favorite. He took two crap seasons that would have left most other coaches at home in November and turned them into playoff seasons. He didn't do well in the playoffs, but it was a miracle that the Bulldogs were there to begin with. Throw in a long string of playoff appearances and some genuine success and I think you have a winner based on consistency and performance.

Faircloth, Harrison and Thompson all deserve nods. Harrison and Faircloth both walked into programs that were on the decline and completely turned them around. The Indians have yet to place lower than district runner-up since Faircloth has been here and went undefeated in his first season as a head coach. The Titans have finally become the force to be reckoned with that they were expected to be when Memorial was founded and are coming of a stellar season. Thompson comes across to me as the brains behind the Dan Hooks operation and he has certainly kept that program in ship shape since Hooks retired.

[quote name="Roger Korby" post="1235399" timestamp="1342115918"]
Not a follower of any of these schools, but I do follow football in general in the Triangle and have do so for many years. Best coach? That would be Larry Neumann. Bulldogs were not consistent winners before he arrived. Larry has made that program what it is, and it is a consistent winning program and the tradition it has built has his signature on it.

After Larry, it is Cornell Thompson. Even though Cornell is the new HC at The Corral, all WOS insiders know that Cornell has been more than Dan Ray's right-hand man. When Cornell briefly left years ago, the program dipped. When he came back, the program immediately returned to dominance. Cornell brings a great deal to the table with his brilliant off-season program and his excellent abilities as DC.

[b]Best "up and coming" coach: Kenny Harrison at Memorial. Talent is coming out of the ears at Memorial, but they have not been what everyone thought they should be until Kenny took the reins. You can say he has talent to work with, but it's another thing to say that one is meeting expectations and then some. Kenny did that last season, and he has theprogram turning the corner as everyone envisioned over ten years ago. Those kids toe the line with Kenny in charge; something those before him were not able to do. Not to mention, his 5A district is tough as nails and difficult to consistently win in.[/b]
[/quote]at least someone other than me sees it.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1234829" timestamp="1341889836"]
You better run fast across those tracks Prepfan, or your purple brothers might disown you. ;)  Thanks though.  Neumann is 146-74-1 in 19 years.  11 years straight in the playoffs, and another 4 straight after 2007.  To help you out, Prepfan, 1 Semifinal appearance , 5 quarterfinals, and a long list of consecutive bi-district wins.
[/quote]Stewart has 138 wins in 15 years avg of 9.2 wins per year.  Neumann 146 wins in 19 years avg 7.6 wins per year.  Stewart 1 state finalist, 1 semifinals, 5 third 3rd rounds and a long list of bi-district wins.  He diid beat us pretty good in the 1st round of I think 04'.

[quote name="I_Can_Do_It_ALL!" post="1234786" timestamp="1341878943"]
What is the criteria that people are using? Overall record or do they over achieve with the kids they have? Dayton always makes deep runs... So, obviously Hancock and Stewart...
[b]I would prefer to look at the a school whose kids over-achieve[/b]... If that is the criteria, Dayton is still at the top, but there are other schools... I think. Coldspring is loaded with speed and talent, but so is WOS... Hard to dispute WOS's past success and Coldspring's recent success...
[/quote]

Using that criteria you have to go with Neumann.  How many D-1 athletes has Neumann had in his time at Nederland?  I can only name a handfull off the top of my head. 

Winning with lesser talent is the definition of a great coach.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1239618" timestamp="1343188581"]
[quote author=I_Can_Do_It_ALL! link=topic=100851.msg1234786#msg1234786 date=1341878943]
What is the criteria that people are using? Overall record or do they over achieve with the kids they have? Dayton always makes deep runs... So, obviously Hancock and Stewart...
[b]I would prefer to look at the a school whose kids over-achieve[/b]... If that is the criteria, Dayton is still at the top, but there are other schools... I think. Coldspring is loaded with speed and talent, but so is WOS... Hard to dispute WOS's past success and Coldspring's recent success...
[/quote]

Using that criteria you have to go with Neumann.  How many D-1 athletes has Neumann had in his time at Nederland?  I can only name a handfull off the top of my head. 

Winning with lesser talent is the definition of a great coach.
[/quote]

Only a handful for Big Stew as well. He coached them up...if you could see how each season started and how they ended up, you would understand what a miracle worker Stewart was.  He would squeeze every drop of greatness out of each player and make them believe they could do it.

His athletes were raw talent, he made them Div I/II athletes...dont kid yourself

The record speaks for itself...there's not a more consistent program in SE Tx over the last 15 years.

Neumann.. hands down.. When I think about what makes a great coach, it is when you are going up against a far more talented team who is bigger, faster, and stronger and having the ability to get your team ready, focused, disciplined, and playing as a group. Neumann has done this time and time again, beating many teams that should've wiped Nederland out. This combined with the consistency of such a winning tradition during his time at Nederland puts him at the top. Now, does he have a state ring? No, and I don't know if Nederland will ever be able to compete against big money schools, but I know when you get to the playoffs, anything can happen. So hopefully, one year with a lot of good coaching, teamwork, and a little luck, Neumann will get one so people will stop being so hard on Nederland.

Nederland not only has the best coach in SETX with Larry Neuman but, they have some of the best assistant coaches in SETX. A "hero" head coach does not obtain his stature alone, it takes all of his coaching staff to guide, teach and direct his team. Sure he is the Head Man who everyone points their finger at when things go bad or sings his praises when things are good. The head coach is the one with the win/loss record that follows him  but to achieve this record it takes the hard work and dedication of his assistants and the desire of the team to win.

[quote name="BigDog007" post="1241160" timestamp="1343834274"]
Nederland not only has the best coach in SETX with Larry Neuman but, they have some of the best assistant coaches in SETX. A "hero" head coach does not obtain his stature alone, it takes all of his coaching staff to guide, teach and direct his team. Sure he is the Head Man who everyone points their finger at when things go bad or sings his praises when things are good. The head coach is the one with the win/loss record that follows him  but to achieve this record it takes the hard work and dedication of his assistants and the desire of the team to win.
[/quote]A good HC will surround themsleves with the best or if their young, mold them into the best assistants.  That's what makes them or breaks them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami