check out what the sbc thinks of Lamar

That's a small group of idiots who post over there.  You'll notice that it's mainly Arkansas State, Troy and ULL fans, schools with athletic budgets barely larger than Lamar's and who are ex-SLC members.  It's mainly fans of schools that really haven't distinguished themselves that put down FCS schools.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1227481" timestamp="1338473788"]
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=572493
They would rather have SFA or SHSU.
I agree. [b]Put SHSU into that low academic dukes of hazard conference[/b]. Did Lamar destroy ULL in MBB last season?
[/quote]

As I recall, aren't you dying for Lamar to get into that "low academic dukes of hazzard conference"?

You also have to be realistic, Lamar does not look like an attractive option to those on the outside epsecially. Otherwise, I would've went there after I graduated high school. This is just how a lot of people perceive LU.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1227541" timestamp="1338481644"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100313.msg1227481#msg1227481 date=1338473788]
I agree. [b]Put SHSU into that low academic dukes of hazard conference[/b]. Did Lamar destroy ULL in MBB last season?
[/quote]

As I recall, aren't you dying for Lamar to get into that "low academic dukes of hazzard conference"?

You also have to be realistic, Lamar does not look like an attractive option to those on the outside epsecially. Otherwise, I would've went there after I graduated high school. This is just how a lot of people perceive LU.
[/quote]No, I am not a SBC lover. I prefer the SBC over the SLC because of the FBS. Take away the SBC FBS, the SBC is another SLC.

2nd, you obvious can't see the flaw in your thinking. Lamar wasn't good enough for you yet you oppose Lamar bettering itself. That is called the SETX mentality. Opposing new schools, opposing new beautification projects, etc etc then telling the world how this area sucks is the SETX mentality.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1227765" timestamp="1338516507"]
[quote author=wbfan link=topic=100313.msg1227541#msg1227541 date=1338481644]
[/quote]

[/quote]No, I am not a SBC lover. I prefer the SBC over the SLC because of the FBS. Take away the SBC FBS, the SBC is another SLC.

2nd, you obvious can't see the flaw in your thinking. Lamar wasn't good enough for you yet you oppose Lamar bettering itself. That is called the SETX mentality. Opposing new schools, opposing new beautification projects, etc etc then telling the world how this area sucks is the SETX mentality.
[/quote]

I'm all for Lamar bettering itself. I just don't think LU is ready for FBS. There's not enough funding or support for it, plus the Houston market is better carried by SHSU.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1227811" timestamp="1338550530"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100313.msg1227765#msg1227765 date=1338516507]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm all for Lamar bettering itself. I just don't think LU is ready for FBS. There's not enough funding or support for it, [b]plus the Houston market is better carried by SHSU[/b].
[/quote]

Let me first say that I in no way want SHSU to make a move, and I dont feel like we are in competition to see who can get there first, but SHSU would carry the Houston market light years before Lamar for a number of different reasons.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1227811" timestamp="1338550530"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm all for Lamar bettering itself. I just don't think LU is ready for FBS. There's not enough funding or support for it, plus the Houston market is better carried by SHSU.
[/quote]Lamar today already has a budget higher than a few FBS. Lamar already has ticket sales and attendance higher than a few FBS. Lamar could join the SBC today and compete at the top of the SBC commissioners cup. Don't be fooled into thinking the SBC is a big jump over the SLC. It's not. The minimum Lamar needs to do is add about 4,000 seats to the stadium, up the coaches pay, add about 17 scholarships, Lamar would not be the lowest FBS school in numbers. Ofcourse I want to see more than 4,000 seats and a better effort but the point is jumping to FBS is not as difficult of a task based on where Lamar stands today.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="1227830" timestamp="1338556582"]
[quote author=wbfan link=topic=100313.msg1227811#msg1227811 date=1338550530]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm all for Lamar bettering itself. I just don't think LU is ready for FBS. There's not enough funding or support for it, [b]plus the Houston market is better carried by SHSU[/b].
[/quote]

Let me first say that I in no way want SHSU to make a move, and I dont feel like we are in competition to see who can get there first, but SHSU would carry the Houston market light years before Lamar for a number of different reasons.
[/quote]Neither Lamar or SHSU could carry Houston. UH couldn't carry Houston. Beaumont's Media has beamed over highlights of Lamar's games to be aired on the news in Houston. ESPN has received highlights. Where is the Huntsville tv stations to do the same?  Are you saying Houston will send a crew to cover all SHSU games?  please post your number of different reasons.

My prediction is that the Sun Belt will invite Lamar and New Mexico State next year.  All the chatter has been about adding App. State and Georgia Southern but I think there's going to be a power struggle between the east and west schools in the Sun Belt.

This Mississippi is the dividing line between east and west.  Just looking at the football schools, there's 4 in the west and 6 in the east.  Adding App. State and GaSo and would really isolate Texas State.  Adding Lamar and NMSU would balance out the divisions.  I don't think it matters that much where UTA and UALR are located.

Of course, they could add NMSU and App. State, or some other combination, or nobody at all.  I don't think it matters one bit what we say on this and other message boards, the schools presidents are going to do what they want to do.

Well if we you use the drive times youve posted on here stating that Beaumont is only an hour from Houston that would make Huntsville like 30-45 minutes tops and Huntsville is apart of the Houston media market along with the Sports Director and his side kick from at least one major TV station in Houston are SH alumni and follow the team closely already they very well could feasibly send a crew each week.  Also the Bryan College Station channel is at every home game so they could easily do what the Beaumont stations do.  As for the other reasons our Alumni base in the Houston area is bigger than Lamar's, We are closer in proximity and we have a satelite campus in The Woodlands, the houston media is saturated with Sam grads who are more than willing to cover things going on with the school. Those are just a few simple reasons without much thought as to why it would be easier not neccessarily reasons why it would happen as I agree neither school will ever "Carry" the market unless UT and the Aggys fall off the planet.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="1227951" timestamp="1338566444"]
Well if we you use the drive times youve posted on here stating that Beaumont is only an hour from Houston that would make Huntsville like 30-45 minutes tops and Huntsville is apart of the Houston media market along with the Sports Director and his side kick from at least one major TV station in Houston are SH alumni and follow the team closely already they very well could feasibly send a crew each week.  Also the Bryan College Station channel is at every home game so they could easily do what the Beaumont stations do.  As for the other reasons our Alumni base in the Houston area is bigger than Lamar's, We are closer in proximity and we have a satelite campus in The Woodlands, the houston media is saturated with Sam grads who are more than willing to cover things going on with the school. Those are just a few simple reasons without much thought as to why it would be easier not neccessarily reasons why it would happen as I agree neither school will ever "Carry" the market unless UT and the Aggys fall off the planet.
[/quote]

y'all crack me up...Houston coulg give a rats arse about Lamar or Sam...

When you measure distants between 2 cities, use the downtown's and not the suburb. Using the Suburbs puts Beaumont 43 miles from Houston.

2nd, 1.9 million people makes round trips PER YEAR between Beaumont/Port Arthur MSA and Houston MSA. 29th busiest in the nation between MSA's. TX-Dot has the Crosby freeway, highway 90, as the second freeway that will eventually link the Beaumont area to Houston. Ya know DFW, the future will bring a HBP, Houston-Beaumont-Port Arthur CSA.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1227891" timestamp="1338563010"]
My prediction is that the Sun Belt will invite Lamar and New Mexico State next year.  All the chatter has been about adding App. State and Georgia Southern but I think there's going to be a power struggle between the east and west schools in the Sun Belt.

This Mississippi is the dividing line between east and west.  Just looking at the football schools, there's 4 in the west and 6 in the east.  Adding App. State and GaSo and would really isolate Texas State.  Adding Lamar and NMSU would balance out the divisions.  I don't think it matters that much where UTA and UALR are located.

Of course, they could add NMSU and App. State, or some other combination, or nobody at all.  I don't think it matters one bit what we say on this and other message boards, the schools presidents are going to do what they want to do.
[/quote]I say 14-16 schools. App st for sure just help the SBC weak perception. I don't get the foot dragging.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1227964" timestamp="1338567553"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=100313.msg1227951#msg1227951 date=1338566444]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Never said they did, just said if you were using the media market argument, I'd say Houston being apart of their footprint makes more sense for SH than Lamar at this point.  I could care less really as I perfectly happy where SH is at the present time.  Trust me Im not delusional.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="1228014" timestamp="1338576311"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=100313.msg1227964#msg1227964 date=1338567553]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=100313.msg1227951#msg1227951 date=1338566444]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Never said they did, just said if you were using the media market argument, I'd say Houston being apart of their footprint makes more sense for SH than Lamar at this point.  I could care less really as I perfectly happy where SH is at the present time.  Trust me poontane Im not delusional.
[/quote]

I have to agree with KingKat99, but it's an argument much like the one that UTA or UNT would have in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  It's like two fleas on a dog fighting about who can take the biggest bite when there's an infestation of Aggie, UT fleas on the dog.  Heck Houston, Rice, Texas Southern are afterthoughts after the big two.

I think it will always be that way.  On the other hand, with a 6,000,000 population dog even we two fleas can still get a decent chunk with the leftovers.  In addition to that we have our own individual areas where we both have a lot larger share.  I think something like the "Battle of the Piney Woods" that Sam and SFA have going would go a long way to helping both of our brands in Houston.  We used to do that in the Astrodome in the 70's and early 80's.  Also trying to get the Houston teams on our schedule like Sam with Texas Southern this year and us with Rice in baseball most years helps.  More of that is better.  It has the added benefit of cutting down on travel costs and allowing our alumni in Houston an easier opportunity to see our teams.

I think if we're going to accomplish anything, our two universities need to do it together.  I think both KingKat99 and UNLV have excellent points.  Houston is growing toward both of us.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="1228014" timestamp="1338576311"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=100313.msg1227964#msg1227964 date=1338567553]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Never said they did, just said if you were using the media market argument, I'd say Houston being apart of their footprint makes more sense for SH than Lamar at this point.  I could care less really as I perfectly happy where SH is at the present time.  Trust me Im not delusional.
[/quote]Today our news showed highlights of the SHSU baseball game. Sorry you guys lost. BTW, did Huntsville news cover Lamar Golf?

Houston covers Rice and UH when things are slow or it's a major event. There are times we've called for footage and are told they didn't get it. Since we're ABC/NBC we have the option of getting video from Ch. 2 or 13. I showed the Sam Houston highlights because KTRK (ABC) was covering the Houston Regional. Houston doesn't cover Lamar or Sam Houston. Nor will Houston Baptist get much love when they join the SLC. KBTX 3 in Bryan sponsors Sam but isn't always there. Beaumont by far covers a SLC school more than anyone else. When we cover the tournaments the joke is when LU is eliminated media vanishes. 

[quote name="UNLV" post="1227968" timestamp="1338568073"]
When you measure distants between 2 cities, use the downtown's and not the suburb. Using the Suburbs puts Beaumont 43 miles from Houston.

2nd, 1.9 million people makes round trips PER YEAR between Beaumont/Port Arthur MSA and Houston MSA. 29th busiest in the nation between MSA's. TX-Dot has the Crosby freeway, highway 90, as the second freeway that will eventually link the Beaumont area to Houston. [b]Ya know DFW, the future will bring a HBP, Houston-Beaumont-Port Arthur CSA.[/b]
[/quote]

Wow!  That's a stretch.  Bmt-Pt Arthur is an afterthought in the grand scheme of things.  Houston doesn't need us.  Hell, we can't even support an airline!  I'm a PA boy, lived there half of my adult life.  Pt Arthur died 40 years ago and nothing will bring it back.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1228544" timestamp="1338902628"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100313.msg1227968#msg1227968 date=1338568073]

2nd, 1.9 million people makes round trips PER YEAR between Beaumont/Port Arthur MSA and Houston MSA. 29th busiest in the nation between MSA's. TX-Dot has the Crosby freeway, highway 90, as the second freeway that will eventually link the Beaumont area to Houston. [b]Ya know DFW, the future will bring a HBP, Houston-Beaumont-Port Arthur CSA.[/b]
[/quote]

Wow!  That's a stretch.  Bmt-Pt Arthur is an afterthought in the grand scheme of things.  Houston doesn't need us.  Hell, we can't even support an airline!  I'm a PA boy, lived there half of my adult life.  Pt Arthur died 40 years ago and nothing will bring it back.
[/quote]Forth Worth doesn't have an airport with commercial flights. The point is, TX-dot has put a stop to Houston growing westward. Houston is now growing eastward. You need to check out the growth around Crosby and east of Mont Belvieu. When the Houston east growth catch up with what the west is today, Anahuac will be the east Katy. That population spill over will affect BPT. I think it already started.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1228449" timestamp="1338839749"]
Houston covers Rice and UH when things are slow or it's a major event. There are times we've called for footage and are told they didn't get it. Since we're ABC/NBC we have the option of getting video from Ch. 2 or 13. I showed the Sam Houston highlights because KTRK (ABC) was covering the Houston Regional. Houston doesn't cover Lamar or Sam Houston. Nor will Houston Baptist get much love when they join the SLC. KBTX 3 in Bryan sponsors Sam but isn't always there. Beaumont by far covers a SLC school more than anyone else. When we cover the tournaments the joke is when LU is eliminated media vanishes.
[/quote]This type of media attention is what a CUSA could use. Sending of footage to each others market and espn.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1228550" timestamp="1338903605"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=100313.msg1228544#msg1228544 date=1338902628]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=100313.msg1227968#msg1227968 date=1338568073]

[/quote]

[/quote]Forth Worth doesn't have an airport with commercial flights. The point is, TX-dot has put a stop to Houston growing westward. Houston is now growing eastward. You need to check out the growth around Crosby and east of Mont Belvieu. When the Houston east growth catch up with what the west is today, Anahuac will be the east Katy. That population spill over will affect BPT. I think it already started.
[/quote]
Houston has been growing westward because it's nicer on that side of town.  East Houston is more industrialized so that tends to limit growth, but it's growing nonetheless.  Tx-Dot is slowly improving highway 90 and eventually it'll be a major highway between Beaumont and Houston.

The BPT metro area population is at a all time high according to the 2011 census data at over 390K.  With more projects on the way I expect to see the population exceed 400K by the end of the decade.  I-10 between Beaumont and Winnie is next to be widened to 6 lanes, and the interchange at I-10 and Cardinal Drive will be redone, probably extending it to Washington Blvd and eventually Dowlen.

Lamar will benefit from this growth, and as they develop the campus and the surrounding area will improve.  I doubt we'll see ever 30K students at Lamar but 18K to 20K would be good, especially if Lamar concentrates on engineering and business, producing graduates who will make good money.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa