Chip Keel named new Shepherd HC/AD!!!!

I have known Chip for 8 years and he is a good man with strong christian morals. He had some success a few years back in Shepherd as Head Powerlifting coach and Offensive Coordinator.  If they are looking for someone with stability, character and a true passion for kids they should give Chip a chance. He will develop an entire program and will give those kids a good chance to succeed. 

Yes Chip applied for the Deweyville job, Chip wants to be a coach (that is were his heart is), Now that Shepherd has come open I don't think Deweville is even in his thoughts. Being Shepherd has only posted the job internally I would say he has a very good chance to be the AD/Hc in about 10 days. Shepherd is not an easy place to be a Coach for a bunch of different reasons, but Shepherd does have a good core group of kids coming up in the next 2-5 years and should get somewhat better. Right now Shepherd needs someone who can get the kids and parents to buy into the program and take some ownership in it and I think if anyone can get the folks in Shepherd to buy in it is Chip. I have know him for a very long time and he is everything that eveyone has said about him.

Shepherd is not like Coldspring, Shepherd will have to develope its talent, it isn't a place that can just reload every year. Parents and the kids will have to show up, take pride in the program and take the ownership of the program for it to become legit.

EastTX, I do agree with what you are saying about some of the people in Shepherd, but there are some good people left there that would like to see Shepherd do good. I hated what happend to jdb son back then too and it really wans't right.

My son turned out the better for the experance so its all good. In fact, I was as guilty as any other parent of sticking my nose in where it didn't belong. I have apologized to as many as would listen for my actions, and I hope Chip can get the job and get the program turned in the right direction. It will take a tremendous amount of work and we will all have to get behind the program to see it rise up. There may be help there in the form of coaches that will get in and help him, lets hope so.

Good luck Pirates.
jdb
class of 1976

[quote name="jdb44" post="1217575" timestamp="1336057635"]
My son turned out the better for the experance so its all good. [b]In fact, I was as guilty as any other parent of sticking my nose in where it didn't belong. I have apologized to as many as would listen for my actions, [/b][/quote]

Don't really have any idea what went on or happened but it does take a really big man to admit when he's wrong...Kudos for stepping up and taking responsibility....Too bad there weren't more like you...

Shepherd would be doing a great thing by hiring Coach Keel. 

Coach Keel was on the staff that went 7-3 and 5-5 but just so happened to be playing in the district with Jasper, Silsbee and Kirbyville.  In those 2 years Shepherd would have easily been playoff bound in 22-3A.  For some unknown reason UIL decided to make up a random district with the above 3, shepherd, coldspring and buna.  The '04 team was easily one of the best teams to come through shepherd in a long time.  They lost to silsbee 18-2 (went 3 rounds deep) Kirbyville 14-6 (went 3 rounds deep) and Jasper 34-7 (State finalists).  They had i think 2 all-state guys on that team (a RB and a LB).  The QB off that team started 3 years at Howard Payne and the really good linebacker played all 4 years at Iowa State and had several NFL tryouts.  Anyways what I am trying to say that is given the right situation Shepherd has the potential to be competitive.  I honestly believe Coach Keel gives them their best opportunity.

[quote name="idk" post="1217292" timestamp="1335987409"]
EastTxguru, Do you live there? If not then I don't know how you could answer the question. I will say that Shepherd has it's problems just like all of the other small towns (and if you don't think your town has any problems then you are just fooling yourself). There is a lot of politics in this town and parents don't seem to get that little johnny needs to work hard and earn what he gets instead of the parents playing politics and getting little johnny his spot. Most of the better kids don't even play sports due to this fact. Can Shepherd compete with Coldspring (no) but they could play with the other teams in district if they could get parents to buy into the system and kids to play.
[/quote]
This is the case in many small towns, unfortunately it is also a problem in Liberty, parents won't buy into the program, the kids are taught from early on that the failure is due to "bad coaching" the parents refuse to buy into the program and insist their input is more important than the positional coaches, if you have an athletic director that will choose a player based of his performance, and the input of his position coach over the influence of the child's parent, then you will be fine, Coldspring is a small town, but they've bought into the program and the best player will start at any given position, however in Liberty and from what you guys are saying, Shepherd as well has the problem of parents having to much influence in the program.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes he is building a really good coaching staff, Chip is a great leader and Coach. Now if anyone can get these parents and kids to buy into the program it will be Chip. We need to get Shepherd going in the right direction. I am really happy to see a few faces come back to Shepherd to coach, they were great coaches then and will be even better now.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder