Setxsports Astros Blog

Guest JoesBros

Guest JoesBros

There were high expectations for the Houston Astros in 2006 coming off their first World Series appearance in franchise history. Disappointment is all the 2006 Astros got even with a late season surge to make the eventual World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals sweat it out for the division title til the last day of the regular season. It looks like up until Christmas now three major events have occured this offseason. #1. The signing of Carlos Lee and Woody Williams on Black Friday. Black friday is usually known as the "biggest shopping day of the year" as well as the kick off to the holiday season the day after Thanksgiving. The Astros tagged slugger Carlos Lee for 6 years $100 million dollars. Lee will be that big bat needed in the middle of the lineup behind slugger Lance Berkman. His carrer stats for his first 7 years in the leauge consist of 221 Home Runs, 782 RBI's, and a Batting Average of .286. Hopefully the Crawford Boxes will be nice to him. Native Houstonian Woody Williams also was the other big free agent signing on Black Friday. 2 years 12 million dollars is what the Astros will be paying the 40 year old pitcher. Yes I said 40 year old pitcher. Experience will be the Key as Williams puts on the hometown pinstrips in 2007 after being with the rival Cardinals for so many years. #2. The whole Andy Petitte and Roger Clemens soap opera. At first Pettite was undecided if he wanted to pitch again. After taking a page out of his old buddies book Petitte anounced he will be back in 2007 but with who? Well my friends he will be in fimilar pinstrips but not for the hometown team. After offering Andy 12 million dollars the Astros would not go up any farther on the money and Pettite left Houston to go back to the New York Yankees. In my opinion the Astros obviously have other plans then worrying about Andy. The whole rumor mill about trading for Ace Chicago White Sox pitcher John Garland is what I think made Andy's mind up when it was all said and done. All I have to say is "Andy thanks for the few memories you gave us, now go back to New York where you belong." No word on Clemens yet which is no suprise but I wouldnt be suprised if he ends up a Yankee with his good buddy Andy. #3 After the whole John Garland talk was over the Astros pull off a trade to add another arm in the rotation. Willie Tavares, Jason Hirsh, and Taylor Bucholz were all three traded to Colorado for pitcher Jason Jennings and a relief pitcher. Jennings holds the most wins in Rockies history, and won the rookie of the year a few years back. His numbers may not show it but he will be a much needed arm for this 2007 pitching rotation. Just keep in mind he pitched for the Colorado Rockies where he couldnt get any run support and pitched in that thin homer friendly air. I hate to let go of young talent like Jason Hirsh, Taylor Bucholz, and Willie Taveraz but sometimes you have to give up young talent to get what you need. So here is my projected pitching staff for right now: 1. Roy Oswalt 2. Jason Jennings 3.Woody Williams. 4. Wandy Rodriguez. The offseason is far from over so more moves could be coming. My offseason grade for GM Tim Pupura as of December 12th is an B-. Losing Pettite isnt the worse thing that can happen. You cant garuntee Pettite will stay healthy. Carlos Lee is no doubt a big signing with an big bat hopefully that will be the answer to some of the offensive woe's from 2006. On a final note Legand Jeff Bagwell is set to formally anounce his retirement from baseball soon. Stayed tuned for the next Setxsports Astros Blog in a couple weeks as we pay tribute to Astros Legand Jeffery Robert Bagwell.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    julianhudges
    Newest Member
    julianhudges