Winning Streaks

[quote name="pete092775" post="1172847" timestamp="1328546683"]
Ya two years is a good streak but after that blow out by central. Ozen realized the weak links in Nederland and plan on showing the rest of the district just how bad nederland can be beat. And I do stand corrected I was advised that it isnt point difference that they will play to break the three way tie. Not only once will central an ozen blow out nederland but get to humilate them again in those games too. 8)
[/quote]
Pretty confident there Pete!  ;) Don't think Ned was humiliated Friday night though. Maybe frustrated at how poorly we shot as a team, but not humiliated.
Remember, Nederland usually doesn't shoot below 30% (and never 22%) from the field. If Ned had shot 30% from the field on Friday night, the game would have either been tied in the middle of the 4th or Ned would have been leading by 2-3 points (depending if they were 2s or 3s). I'm
not one to live in what COULD have happened IF......, but as poorly as Ned played, the game was still within reach with 4 minutes remaining. Don't see how you claim that was humiliating?? Was Central HUMILIATED three weeks ago when Ned beat them by 17? I don't think so. They too were probably FRUSTRATED bc they could not buy a bucket.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting 22 percent is tough to overcome and normally a loss will result.  Everyone has games like that, you just have to either hope it is against a very weak opponent or not at a critical time in the season, such as the playoffs.  Nederland sounds like they had an off night, believe me, for anyone that has played basketball, can understand this happening on occasion.
I remember my Junior year, we were loaded, class 2A, ranked 1 all year, clearly had the best team in the state, could have argued the best in 3A, started 6'7" Jamie Kendrick (Baylor), Drew Henson 6'5" (pithed in college), Josh Jones 6'2" (ETBU DII), Clint Cover 6'2" (dang good shooter), Andre Austin 5'9 (played college football).  We had beat 4A and 5A teams all year, Region Quarter beat Paris 104-44, and the next game in Region Semi's we didnt shoot the ball as well as possible but not terrible, but they shot 72 percent from the floor and 31-32 from the FT line, and we was still in the game.  If we would have played them 10 more times we would have won them all, but that is HS basketball, the next day they lost to EC, whom no one thought would go to Austin.
My point is the nature of HS basketball, or basketball period when it is a one and done scenerio. A team can get hot, or another can have an off night.  Nederland shouldnt feel humiliated, they should feel fortunate that their off game was only a district game and wont effect them making the playoffs.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1172881" timestamp="1328549198"]
Shooting 22 percent is tough to overcome and normally a loss will result.  Everyone has games like that, you just have to either hope it is against a very weak opponent or not at a critical time in the season, such as the playoffs.  Nederland sounds like they had an off night, believe me, for anyone that has played basketball, can understand this happening on occasion.
I remember my Junior year, we were loaded, class 2A, ranked 1 all year, clearly had the best team in the state, could have argued the best in 3A, started 6'7" Jamie Kendrick (Baylor), Drew Henson 6'5" (pithed in
college), Josh Jones 6'2" (ETBU DII), Clint Cover 6'2" (dang good shooter), Andre Austin 5'9 (played college football).  We had beat 4A and 5A teams all year, Region Quarter beat Paris 104-44, and the next game in Region Semi's we didnt shoot the ball as well as possible but not terrible, but they shot [b]72 percent from the floor and 31-32 from the FT[/b] line, and we was still in the game.  If we would have played them 10 more times we would have won them all, but that is HS basketball, the next day they lost to EC, whom no one thought would go to Austin.
My point is the nature of HS basketball, or basketball period when it is a one and done scenerio. A team can get hot, or another can have an off
night.  Nederland shouldnt feel humiliated, they should feel fortunate that their off game was only a district game and wont effect them making the playoffs.
[/quote]
That's unheard of! Very good points you made as well. Nederland will bounce back Friday night and play well. Ozen may play better, but I just can't see Ned shooting 22% from the field again this season. As far as the playoffs go, any one between Ozen, Ned, and Central could find their way to the regional tourney this year.
Need to focus on starting another streak tomorrow night against Lumberton!

I know this changes the subject a little, but could someone describe the Basketball program at Nederland before Coach English, lets say the 10 years before he got there.  I do research on programs that have built themselves from the bottom up, and the outward appearance at Nederland is that.  Was Nederald very successful at anything?  What was the emphasis sport for Nederland?  Just curious.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1172896" timestamp="1328550720"]
I know this changes the subject a little, but could someone describe the Basketball program at Nederland before Coach English, lets say the 10 years before he got there.  I do research on programs that have built themselves from the bottom up, and the outward appearance at Nederland is that.  Was Nederald very successful at anything?  What was the emphasis sport for Nederland?  Just curious.
[/quote]
For the past 10 years prior to Coach E, Ned was at the bottom in basketball. The emphasis sport in Nederland has been, and always will be football. Ned FB just won a district title this past season, which was their 1st in 45+ years. However, Ned FB makes the playoffs MOST years. I believe Ned FB reached the Qurter Finals one year (late 90s/early 2000s). Ned has also done very well in baseball (2nd sport of emphasis). Ned has won Regionals a couple of times, but fell short of a state title. Over the past 10 years, probably 5-6 district titles (maybe more). Even soccer has been more popular in Nederland until Basketball became relevant a few years ago. Ned won their district in soccer 18 years straight and 20/21 yers (Hey DV-When Ozen has that kind of a streak, call me  ;) )Usually only win 2-3 playoff games though. I believe one year they may have gone a bit further??

Remember, guys, Nederland didn't just shoot 22% from the field.  They were FORCED into that percentage.  Nederland was bothered by Centrals fans close outs and length. Nederland also for some reason, wasn't as trigger happy as they normally are.  They were chased off of their spots all night.  All this being said and Central didn't use a full or half court press the entire game.  Credit should be given to Central for the great game plan.  Now free throw?  Central was horrible. THAT falls on the team (Central). 

well would have thought after everyone was so confident that nederland can adjust to anything they would have but didnt. Guess there coach was asleep this time. If you cant score from the outside id say you better adjust or just give up and get beat by a team that you had already blown out.Great coaching there. ;)

[quote name="pete092775" post="1172912" timestamp="1328551417"]
well would have thought after everyone was so confident that nederland can adjust to anything they would have but didnt. Guess there coach was asleep this time. If you cant score from the outside id say you better adjust or just give up and get beat by a team that you had already blown out.Great coaching there. ;)
[/quote]
You've obviously never coached a team!  ;)

Fact, I have seen enough of Nederland this year to know that they are a great "spot" shooting team. Pass the ball to shooter, spots up and hits three pointer or just inside line. What is their weakness is having to create their own shots. Nederland really only has two guys that can do that consistently. What Central did was defend the spot shot and forced Nederland to put the ball on the floor and shoot off the dribble. Central forced them into their weakness.

Why Central did not do this the first game in district (I was there) is beyond me. Central defended much better this time around.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1172917" timestamp="1328551601"]
Why didnt Central's defense MAKE Nedrland shoot that low of  percentage the first time they played?
[/quote]We (Central) BEAT Nederland the 'first time'.  The second time (I think this is what you are talking about), Nederland turned it up a notch in the 4th period and WE couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Also, our Staff brains were not placed on the charger before the game as well.  ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1172930" timestamp="1328551971"]
Fact, I have seen enough of Nederland this year to know that they are a great "spot" shooting team. Pass the ball to shooter, spots up and hits three pointer or just inside line. What is their weakness is having to create their own shots. Nederland really only has two guys that can do that consistently. What Central did was defend the spot shot and forced Nederland to put the ball on the floor and shoot off the dribble. Central forced them into their weakness.

Why Central did not do this the first game in district (I was there) is beyond me. Central defended much better this time around.
[/quote]Preach, AAW! 2+ karma for you, Sir!

[quote name="pete092775" post="1172949" timestamp="1328552827"]
Aggies sounds like Central just studied the first game and learn there weak link that i have been talking about. Guess Central just out coached the Nederland coach cant run the same offense for ever got to learn to adjust. 8)
[/quote]It really would have been interesting to see IF Nederland would have made an adjustment.  We're not good at in game adjustments.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1172916" timestamp="1328551575"]
Man, Livingston only mustered 30 points against Lumberton.  I'm not being a comedian, but have you seen Lumberton?
[/quote]
I understand what you are saying but on any given Tuesday or Friday night I never know what coaching staff will show up with Ozen. I'm going to get in trouble for not staying on topic.....

[quote name="pete092775" post="1172983" timestamp="1328554435"]
ching ching ching ching Soulja you got the million dollar question right. The weakest link is exactly that Mr.E cant adjust on the fly. ;)
[/quote]I wouldn't say that he CAN'T make adjustments (I've seen him make in game adjustments plenty of times), but he didn't make any adjustments inthe Central game Friday for some reason.

[quote name="pete092775" post="1173014" timestamp="1328556148"]
dont back out now soulja the weakest link always breaks first under pressure. 8)
[/quote]It was the weakest link Friday, but as a whole, I would say that Nederland's coaching staff is superior than Central and Ozen's anyday.  Had Nederland's staff made an adjustment and it worked, Central's staff wouldn't have made a good in game adjustment.  MAYBE they would have made one at halftime or something like that.  I've seen it too many times this year.  Ozen's?  I don't know.  They made decent coaching moves from what I've seen.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124