Dunking vs Layup???

Lazeek

I would rather see a consistent midrange jumper than a dunk. Now, the dunk count is not limited to H_J Basketball.  My Jags as well as other teams have had games with several dunks.  Also, AAW was right on the other thread.  You see more timouts called after a 3 point shot than after a dunk.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1154610" timestamp="1325738386"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=93748.msg1154608#msg date=1325738123]
Soulja does not like dunking, because him like me can only dunk donuts!!!! ;D ;D
[/quote]lol...  Speak for yourself.  I can dunk... An 8' goal.  ;D
[/quote]

Off of a exercise trampoline maybe!!!! ;D ;D

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1154619" timestamp="1325739873"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=93748.msg1154618#msg1154618 date=1325739753]
Watching the Kansas vs Kansas state game right now # 0 just through it down hard... Immediate time out..... Just sayin
[/quote] the whole team came off the bench everyone jumping up and down... Prolly similar result from a 3 .... But not a layup
[/quote]

There is NO better way to get the fans on their feet than an impressive dunk.

I think either one can be just as exciting depending on the circumstance.  A wide open layup not very exciting.  Jordan switching hands in mid air...exciting. A wide open straight forward dunk by a tall player not really exciting.  Part of it is how you got to the rim to begin with.  I can remember just as many layups or shots right at the rim by MJ as I can dunks.  Those were a lot more exciting to me than watching a 7 footer dunk most of the time.

Yes you can down grade the dunk make it from a taller player and there is not much to it especially if you compare it to mj's reverse ball switching hands layup...I didn't think we were talking about that. However I do like all scoring done by the team that I'm pulling for....but sometimes I like to see the exclamation point of the dunk

I will say that at least in small high school basketball a dunk gets a lot more attention it seems because there are not near as many players who have the ability to dunk in a game.  More can do it in warmups but aren't explosive enough to do it with the other team on the court unless on a wide open fast break. It can definitely be a crowd pleaser but so can a great move to get a layup.

I've been a fan of the "occasional" dunk......cap off a come from behind rally......squall an effort of the opposing teams rally, put them to bed exclamation point,.etc.......but a far superior team with multiple dunks against a weaker opponent and the game is out of reach is arrogant and has potential for injury if it tends to get ugly if you get what I mean. 

Same me the ones with a short message, then go work on a play setc, a defense, the spread, keep away to run clock. , let others get in game. Etc

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1154611" timestamp="1325738515"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=93748.msg1154610#msg1154610 date=1325738386]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=93748.msg1154608#msg date=1325738123]
Soulja does not like dunking, because him like me can only dunk donuts!!!! ;D ;D
[/quote]lol...  Speak for yourself.  I can dunk... An 8' goal.  ;D
[/quote]

Off of a exercise trampoline maybe!!!! ;D ;D
[/quote] ;D ;D

Ok, I can play devil's advocate here.  What a dunk CAN do is send a message to a certain player or to the other team.  You dunk in a halfcourt set (at any level of basetball, getting dunked on is the most embarrassing single thing you can experience).  Kid will dunk in the game.  A one handed throw down on a give and go.  The defender didn't jump but saw this kid dunk.  The dunker then runs down court and gives him a quick 'look' (that means when I go to the paint next time, you don't want to try and jump).  And that's what'll happen.  Seeing  how high this kid got, you wouldn't want to risk embarrassment and be the butt of jokes all week throughout the school and town by getting 'posterized'.  and yes, there are players with these kind of 'hops' in this area.  K. Smith from Central and Prudhomme from H-J just to name a few that I've seen.  My point is that you get an uncontested dunk vs a contested layup.  EVERYONE thinks they can block a layup/floater.  That's why you rarely see blocked dunks but you almost always see blocked layups. 

How's that for playing both sides of the fence?  8)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1154609" timestamp="1325738170"]
I would rather see a consistent midrange jumper than a dunk. Now, the dunk count is not limited to H_J Basketball.  My Jags as well as other teams have had games with several dunks.  Also, AAW was right on the other thread.  You see more timouts called after a 3 point shot than after a dunk.
[/quote]What is this mid range jumper that you speak of?....lol....

[quote name="no-look" post="1154670" timestamp="1325770994"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=93748.msg1154609#msg1154609 date=1325738170]
[/quote]I'll repeat myself.  I said I would rather see a consistant midrange jumper than a dunk.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1154672" timestamp="1325771160"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=93748.msg1154670#msg1154670 date=1325770994]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=93748.msg1154609#msg1154609 date=1325738170]
[/quote]I'll repeat myself.  I said I would rather see a consistant midrange jumper than a dunk.
[/quote]"You took the words outta my month." Lost art. Too hard to shoot now, I guess. Too many *thunks* at mid range now. ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1154691" timestamp="1325772869"]
I've seen some kids that had this ability.  So far, I've seen a kid that consistantly gets this midrange pullup jumper on fast break transition, and that's C. Williams for Ozen.  I have yet to see him miss it.  Maybe he needs to do it more.
[/quote]I think I know who you are talking about. Good player and nice mid game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn