Dunking vs Layup???

Lazeek

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1154728" timestamp="1325776968"]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esZexFhV7Q4&feature=youtu.be

I can see how a layup or a jumper is just as good as this is....... ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]2 points.  The guy could  have just layed the ball up for 2 points ins tead of throwing it off the glass.  The dunker could have also just layed the ball in with a finger roll instead of flushing it.  There was no defender there to make a play on the ball.  ;D

The layup vs. dunk argument all depends on the player. If the kid is athletic enough to dunk every time down the floor, he should do it. The ball has less of a chance of bouncing too hard off of the backboard or in the wrong direction when attempting a layup. With a dunk, it goes straight down through the hoop with no chance for any discrepancy. If the kid can only dunk on a fast break opportunity, then he needs to wait for that.

Let's face it. A dunk is more exciting than a layup because it's not nearly as common. If you are trying to get the crowd off of their feet, flush it. If not, a layup is two points as well. But, with a fan base like HJ's, dunk it if 'ya got it!

[quote name="HJ2012" post="1154787" timestamp="1325783241"]
The layup vs. dunk argument all depends on the player. If the kid is athletic enough to dunk every time down the floor, he should do it. The ball has less of a chance of bouncing too hard off of the backboard or in the wrong direction when attempting a layup. With a dunk, it goes straight down through the hoop with no chance for any discrepancy. If the kid can only dunk on a fast break opportunity, then he needs to wait for that.

Let's face it. A dunk is more exciting than a layup because it's not nearly as common. If you are trying to get the crowd off of their feet, flush it. If not, a layup is two points as well. But, with a fan base like HJ's, dunk it if 'ya got it!
[/quote]

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKju-yjGvU7ld1iRNXX2akVvHxOdDkAguURCdz8ssaTM625cVCOnh8lFLl[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
I believe Kelton Gaines had a layup in the middle of the Tigers third quarter run that was just as exciting a dunk. A breakaway layup where he took the ball off the flour turned and showed it to thr defender and then finished the layup. The reaction around me was big. Oh and there was another shot more exciting than a dunk as well: a 35-40 foot buzzer beater!

It depends on the situation, the flow of the game. The momentum of the game. if one teams lead has diminished, and a dunk proceeds, well it is the most devastating game changing shot IMO. Throwing it down is a testament to, IYF >:( ;D A three pointer Has an affect, you better come out here. A lay up is just a lay up, yet still can be game changing.
Now situations make all these shots have different affects on the flow of that particular game. It depends on what the situation is and how the shot came about.
Team one is leading by 10 points. Team 2 is a very athletic
team. The big man (team 2)gets a dunk, the crowd goes wild.
Team one goes down, makes two crisp passes. The second pass is to a open number two guard. He sinks the three. Crowd is silenced for team two. Team one crowd going crazy again.
Ok another scenario, Team ones been leading the whole game. In the fourth, team two ties it up. Team one goes down to set up their offense. The jump shot is missed. Team two goes down, passes the ball around. The forward finds and opening. He drives and flushes on team one's big man, this gives team two a two point lead, and momentum. Ok let's say the forward laid it in. Still, in that situation
it's game changing. The crowd still erupts.
But i must say, to be dunked on is depleting. it is the most humiliating feeling a basketball player can have. it don't feel good.
Especially if the crowd's going crazy, and your team mates are laughing and pointing at you with the gesture, YOU GOT OWNED !!!
It depends on the situation.

Very good explanation.  I understand it perfectly.  Senerios fit the situation.  Just one thing...  Your own teamates will not be laughing at you if you get dunked on...  Well, at least not in THAT game.  Now, the next practice....  That's another story.  You may be the butt of some jokes.  ;D ;D

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1160029" timestamp="1326573985"]
I got dunked on in my first game on Varsity.  I remember being under the goal looking up and wondering, "What happened to all the lights?"  Dude completely blocked out everything above me.  That memory has stuck with me for 32 years!
[/quote]
And just think that if you had been 2 steps further out it would have been a charge and would have been waved off. ;D

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1160061" timestamp="1326577829"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=93748.msg1160029#msg1160029 date=1326573985]
I got dunked on in my first game on Varsity.  I remember being under the goal looking up and wondering, "What happened to all the lights?"  Dude completely blocked out everything above me.  That memory has stuck with me for 32 years!
[/quote]
And just think that if you had been 2 steps further out it would have been a charge and would have been waved off. ;D
[/quote]Didn't have a chance.  Threw the ball in after a made shot.  Our guard let the ball go right through his hands and the opponents 6'5" front man on the press caught it at the free throw line (or top of the key).  By the time I'd got there, it would have been a 3 point play, the old fashioned way.

But again, the point is.  I don't remember any of the layups against me, but I do recall the dunk... even after 87 years! ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed