Not Just In Texas

NDNation

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1140828" timestamp="1323200998"]
Crackdown? Is kids being stupid a crackdown? The gesture says "look at me, look at me", there is no "me" in team. There are 10 other guys there somewhere that helped "me". Good rule. Enforced correctly.
[/quote]

Didnt say it was bad...but a crackdown nonetheless...what was acceptable in the past is no longer tolerated....but it should be consistent across the board. 

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1140855" timestamp="1323203844"]
Wow I can't believe that was an unsportsman like conduct flag.  All he did was raise his hand.  It wasn't like he was taunting the other player or did some kind of stupid dance in the end zone or spike the ball.  He simply raised his hand as he was racing to the end zone.
[/quote]I agree... That call was about a bad as the call against Jonathon Gray!  Kid got excited... Never won a State Championship and got over joyed w/ victory at hand.  I see nothing wrong with that play. To me he was saying "WE DID IT"!  That simple!

I don't think a game should be decided by that at all. It very well could have been innocent. If anything the penalty should be assessed on the kick off. To take away a touchdown especially in a close game is a little ridiculous. Society desperately needs to change.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1140828" timestamp="1323200998"]
Crackdown? Is kids being stupid a crackdown? The gesture says "look at me, look at me", there is no "me" in team. There are 10 other guys there somewhere that helped "me". Good rule. Enforced correctly.
[/quote]
There is no I in team.....there is a me in team....... 8)

It seems to happen to players on an unopposed run to the end zone.  For a high school kid, it IS exciting.  Just like it is exciting to drop a QB for a loss, or get a touchdown saving tackle.  Those however, are ralrely, if ever, flagged, and to me, a big ol' bubba flexing his muscles in your face is more of a taunt than a high step, or a raised fist. 

Inconsistency is the rule.  Inconsistent application of the rules.  Let's be honest, while these flags are all "letter of the law" type things, do they fulfill the spirit of the law?  Why were the penalties introduced to begin with?  Because you had game wasting showboating going on in the end zone, or running around wasting time off the clock before you scored.  In both Gray's case, and this one, they are running for the end zoneand neither of the actions takes any more time off the clock. 

What is going to happen is one of 2 things...

A redifinition of the taunting rule to actually include interacton with the other team, like turning around, or crossing the line and then getting in the opponents face; or...

A complete and utter crushing of the spirit that is football.  We will have robots instead of players.  Maybe that's what we want.  People with no emotion.  What next?  Flag the cheerleaders because their skirts are too short?  Flag the mascot for too much exuberance?  Flag the PN-G Indians for not taking a knee?  Can you see how ridiculous it gets?   

[quote name="invictus" post="1140985" timestamp="1323211413"]
Celebrating a TD in high school football in Texas has not been tolerated for a long time.  If refs are not enforcing the rule across the board, that needs to be handled by their governing authority.  But, kids don't need to be doing that garbage.  Period.
[/quote]

You mean to tell me that you have NEVER seen a player do a chest bump with his team mates after one of them scores a TD?  I have seen it plenty of times in HS by many different teams and have NEVER EVER seen a flag thrown.  How is that any different than a player raising his hand while running for a TD?  It isn't in my book and if this is a flag then a whole lot of flags need to be thrown right here in SE Texas every Friday night during football season.

[quote name="Cheermom4" post="1141000" timestamp="1323213134"]
[quote author=invictus link=topic=92713.msg1140985#msg1140985 date=1323211413]
Celebrating a TD in high school football in Texas has not been tolerated for a long time.  If refs are not enforcing the rule across the board, that needs to be handled by their governing authority.  But, kids don't need to be doing that garbage.  Period.
[/quote]

You mean to tell me that you have NEVER seen a player do a chest bump with his team mates after one of them scores a TD?  I have seen it plenty of times in HS by many different teams and have NEVER EVER seen a flag thrown.  How is that any different than a player raising his hand while running for a TD?  It isn't in my book and if this is a flag then a whole lot of flags need to be thrown right here in SE Texas every Friday night during football season.
[/quote]

Bravo, bravo...I bet all the holier than thous would get up in arms if there was a flag thrown on a kid from their team.  Do as I say, not as I do...

I don't care where it happens or on what level. I think the monitoring of celebrations in exciting competitive events is retarded. I don't care if they take their helmet off or do a hula dance. I honestly don't care if they taunt. If you get your feelings hurt over some trash talk, then get out of the game. Sure - strong programs leave the silly crap for the loud mouths. But I think that is up to the coach, not the officials and it has gotten way out of hand. If a celebration actually delays the game or causes injury, then there are penalties for that. Excessive celebration as a penalty is stupid on face.

I  think the difference is live ball. If you got time to chest bump, raise your fist, or whatever during the time the ball is in play, then your not doing your job as a member of that team. When the ball is dead the chest bumping is not flagged most of the time. This kid as well as Grey are both doing these things(taunting) during a live ball. Against the rules period. JMO

Bottom line, this is a rule wether we like it or not. Is it petty, probably so but a rule none the less. Coaches need to educate thier players on the rules and stress the importance of folowing them wether they agree with them or not. And invictus, celebrating a touchdown on your birthday to win a championship is hardly garbage.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder