Police, UIL say discipline is up to schools after Ozen/LaMarque brawl

[quote name="Slam14" post="1134784" timestamp="1322608227"]
Last year,(or maybe the year before) in girls basketball [b]an Ozen player punched a Central player after the game as they were shaking hands.[/b]  That girls was led off the court in handcuffs by police.  I believe the girl throwing the punch was suspended for the remainder of the season.  Just because this was a larger scale event doesn't mean it's too big to hand out punishments where they are due.

Questions for you lawyers.....If your son was a 15 year old sophomore and he was in this brawl with two 19 year old seniors...could you file criminal assault charges?  I'm sure there is video of the event.

Hypothetical situation above, but just trying to get a feel for is there a line where the sport stops and the law steps in. 
[/quote]

YOU MEAN A HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER PUNCHED ANOTHER PLAYER AND LA MARQUE WASN'T INVOLVED? Surely you jest! Maybe that's just how they "shake hands" after a game in Beaumont?

I think that each coach should hold these kids accountable. During a basketball game (playoff game) were I went to school our school player got into a fight with a guy on the losing team. Coach Gaston benched the palyer and we lost out of the playoffs by 4 points. Small school politics could not budge him on his punishments. These kids now days are not allowed to be punished for there bad actions. I adopted a child and as part of the adoption I had to sign a waiver saying I would never use corpal punisment of any kind or have the child removed from my home. If my child were one of the players he would have a parent suspension and alot worse period. So as we set here and lay blame on these kids lets also blame these people at school, at home, and in our goverment who allow this crap to go on. Prime example is the people from Lamarque calling for no suspension of there football players for the playoffs. Thats saying its ok when your in the playoffs to act out. Parents from both schools need to step up and hold these kids accountable. Lamarque and Ozen stand up and hold your kids accountable dont wait on the UIL and skate by.

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="1135401" timestamp="1322667689"]
I think that each coach should hold these kids accountable. During a basketball game (playoff game) were I went to school our school player got into a fight with a guy on the losing team. Coach Gaston benched the palyer and we lost out of the playoffs by 4 points. Small school politics could not budge him on his punishments. These kids now days are not allowed to be punished for there bad actions. I adopted a child and as part of the adoption I had to sign a waiver saying I would never use corpal punisment of any kind or have the child removed from my home. If my child were one of the players he would have a parent suspension and alot worse period. So as we set here and lay blame on these kids lets also blame these people at school, at home, and in our goverment who allow this crap to go on. Prime example is the people from Lamarque calling for no suspension of there football players for the playoffs. Thats saying its ok when your in the playoffs to act out. [b]Parents from both schools need to step up and hold these kids accountable.[/b] Lamarque and [b]Ozen stand up and hold your kids accountable[/b] dont wait on the UIL and skate by.
[/quote]

Trust me, mine was taken care of Saturday night and still is upset with me today but he will get over it and learn from it. I have taught him to never be the instigator but I've also taught him to defend himself when all else fails. He was hit by not 1 but 2 of Lamarque's players and felt that after turning the 1st cheek, he had ran out of cheeks to turn and in the heat of the moment he reacted. Well he will have alot of idle time to think about his actions and what he could have done differently.

In viewing all of the posts, as well as seeing the BISD investigation report and media reports about La Marque's report, I have become increasingly troubled with the seeming focus of both fan opninons and school district investigations being on who instigated the events that took place Saturday in Baytown.  Now, don't get me wrong, the actions that led to what happened, either by word or deed, is an important fact to be determined for a number of reasons, not the least is that persons involved in instigating the events should receive heightened punishment for their part.

However, that is not what I am seeing.  I am seeing fans OF BOTH SCHOOLS and administrations of both school districts putting the focus on which side instigated events as means to either mitigate or, in some cases, attempt to absolve their own school's cupability in the matter.  This is plain wrong.  It is if they are working on an legal misconception which I would like to dispell very clearly right now:

[size=14pt][b]RETALIATION DOES NOT EQUAL SELF DEFENSE!!!!![/B][/SIZE]

Legally, the fact that a player or coach from the opposing side yelled obscenities or other volatile words or encroached on your space does not entitle you to take a swing at or shove a member of the opposing team.  Legally, the fact that a player of an opposing team threw a punch at your teammate or player does not entitle you to take your helmet and swing it at a member of the opposing team or to kick him.  In some circles and in some people's minds who started what may be a absolving factor, but in the legal realm it doesn't really mean a hill of beans.  And in doling out appropriate punishments, it really shouldn't matter here, either.

And I have no idea of who started what.  I have heard so many accounts both ways and while I put more stock in some of those accounts than others, I still don't know enough to come to any clear conclusion.  To the La Marque and Beaumont, you have promised that punishments have either been doled outor are forthcoming.  Well, let me be clear, if there is not at least one player from either team that misses a subsequent athletic event, then you have done nothing...the magnitude of the event that they miss should not come into play.  In fact, after taking a look at Texas Education Code 37.006 last week, I could go so far as to say that every player still suiting up would be evidence of a violation of state law.

Both to the Beaumont and La Marque ISD's, the state is watching.

[quote name="uandme08" post="1135425" timestamp="1322669421"]
[quote author=Jackthehammer link=topic=92384.msg1135401#msg1135401 date=1322667689]
I think that each coach should hold these kids accountable. During a basketball game (playoff game) were I went to school our school player got into a fight with a guy on the losing team. Coach Gaston benched the palyer and we lost out of the playoffs by 4 points. Small school politics could not budge him on his punishments. These kids now days are not allowed to be punished for there bad actions. I adopted a child and as part of the adoption I had to sign a waiver saying I would never use corpal punisment of any kind or have the child removed from my home. If my child were one of the players he would have a parent suspension and alot worse period. So as we set here and lay blame on these kids lets also blame these people at school, at home, and in our goverment who allow this crap to go on. Prime example is the people from Lamarque calling for no suspension of there football players for the playoffs. Thats saying its ok when your in the playoffs to act out. [b]Parents from both schools need to step up and hold these kids accountable.[/b] Lamarque and [b]Ozen stand up and hold your kids accountable[/b] dont wait on the UIL and skate by.
[/quote]

Trust me, mine was taken care of Saturday night and still is upset with me today but he will get over it and learn from it. I have taught him to never be the instigator but I've also taught him to defend himself when all else fails. He was hit by not 1 but 2 of Lamarque's players and felt that after turning the 1st cheek, he had ran out of cheeks to turn and in the heat of the moment he reacted. Well he will have alot of idle time to think about his actions and what he could have done differently.
[/quote]

Sounds like great parenting, uandme08. Thank you!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1135482" timestamp="1322672341"]
[size=14pt][b]RETALIATION DOES NOT EQUAL SELF DEFENSE!!!!![/B][/SIZE]

Both to the Beaumont and La Marque ISD's, the state is watching.
[/quote]

Great post, WOSgrad. Way too much CYA and blame deflection going on, and (at least so far) no apparent acceptance that serious corrective actions are needed. And the actions are at all levels: officials, coaches, players, and - if they are playing CYA and blame deflection - school administrators.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1134346" timestamp="1322580360"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=92384.msg1134343#msg1134343 date=1322580159]
And just to be fair to the Galveston County Daily News, the tweeter is not a reporter for that paper or any media outlet in the Houston area but is rather a freelance guy who just likes to flap his gap.

He was a FORMER sports editor for the Galveston County Daily News until about a year ago when he was abruptly dismissed.  His activity on this issue might give some insight as to why that dismissal took place.
[/quote]

Your never guilty of that right?

Correct!! He tweeted a bunch of falsehoods about this case and is trying to come off as some important reporter/blogger. He tweeted nothing but bogus remarks, no facts at all!
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami