My EXTREMELY BIASED opinion on why we crushed Crosby

OK, last post for the night. However, I'm really enjoying this....a very long time coming.
1. Jeff Mathews and the Vidor coaching staff. Great game plan and those kids were prepared to play that game. Controlled the clock and controlled the game. Kept the twins on the sideline. Anybody attempting to hire any of our coaching staff will be met with a volley from our deer rifles (there's one in every pickup).
2. Our Offensive Line. We only gave up like 30+ lbs. per man but our execution was flawless. They have been the unsung heroes of this season. Remind me of PNG from the 70s.
3. Crosby's defensive coordinator. ???
4. Heart. We flat out played them. They didn't lose the game, we won it. We CREATED the turnovers and frustrated the heck out of their offense. Blitzing that quarterback was the right call. Our defense has stepped up all season and refused to quit. There is no doubt those Walter kids can flat out play but our kids wanted this way more.
5. Finally and most importantly, the fans of Southeast Texas. There was 6000+ (?) on our side and it was crazy!!! In my wildest dreams I would have never expected this. The Crosby side may have had 200 max. I believe there were more Dayton fans there than Cougars. I'm sorry, but this is a playoff game and it's less than an hour's drive from here, I do it all the time. I really felt sorry for their kids. No one will be able to explain to me how you can't support your team especially if you have a child on the field. I know my Pirates felt the electricity in the air and it motivated them to play their best. Thank you again SE Texas.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1112291" timestamp="1320993569"]
OK, last post for the night. However, I'm really enjoying this....a very long time coming.
1. Jeff Mathews and the Vidor coaching staff. Great game plan and those kids were prepared to play that game. Controlled the clock and controlled the game. Kept the twins on the sideline. Anybody attempting to hire any of our coaching staff will be met with a volley from our deer rifles (there's one in every pickup).
2. Our Offensive Line. We only gave up like 30+ lbs. per man but our execution was flawless. They have been the unsung heroes of this season. Remind me of PNG from the 70s.
4. Heart. We flat out played them. They didn't lose the game, we won it. We CREATED the turnovers and frustrated the heck out of their offense. Blitzing that quarterback was the right call. Our defense has stepped up all season and refused to quit. There is no doubt those Walter kids can flat out play but our kids wanted this way more.
5. Finally and most importantly, the fans of Southeast Texas. There was 6000+ (?) on our side and it was crazy!!! In my wildest dreams I would have never expected this. The Crosby side may have had 200 max. I believe there were more Dayton fans there than Cougars. I'm sorry, but this is a playoff game and it's less than an hour's drive from here, I do it all the time. I really felt sorry for their kids. No one will be able to explain to me how you can't support your team especially if you have a child on the field. I know my Pirates felt the electricity in the air and it motivated them to play their best. Thank you again SE Texas.
[/quote]

I agree with you doesn't seem that biased at all. 1-3. Honestly the loss of 47 destroyed the gameplan and they didn't adjust at half time.

We had well over 200 fans that's a huge stadium, but it wasn't the normal showing mainly because a huge core of our fans work shift work, and can't go watch a football game on a Thursday night, unless they have a kid.

Also don't kid yourself you had a ton of 19-4a on your side as well, tons of blue on your side of the crowd, plenty of purple. And nederland in black. It's easy to say "why didn't you travel?" but it was a Thursday night at 7:30 with an hour car trip home, i highly doubt Vidor would have had a third of the crowd they did if we would have played this game in Deerpark

[quote name="tupac7" post="1112313" timestamp="1320997370"]
every one plays with injuries...vidors starting tailback was out...poor excuse...while the twins got their yards crosby was still held to only 20 points...Bottom line got your arse kicked...I admit when it happens to my team maybe you should to.
[/quote]

Tupac, they won the game i'm not questioning that but i will defend my coaching staff.
It's like if you plan to throw the ball and Your QB goes out, we planned to slam the QB/FB with 46/47 and then force the half back to beat us, 46 goes down that gameplan gets shifted to a less talented player and the FB kills us all game period. Reason we lost? perhaps not, that would probably be a muffed kickoff down by 8 that lead to a vidor score.

Vidors starting Tailback? how the hell do you determine who the starting back for Vidor is? they have 3 of them, The QB, FB, RB the QB and FB are just as important if not more. FYI they played with there first string running back.

you guys have d1 talent where as vidor probably does not. Call it like you want. They were out COACHED, out played, out everything, not to mention the stupid personal fouls which should have resulted in an ejection. Don't have a dog in this fight, I just call them like I see them...Keeping it real...Word...Out

[quote name="tupac7" post="1112317" timestamp="1320997959"]
you guys have d1 talent where as vidor probably does not. Call it like you want. They were out COACHED, out played, out everything, not to mention the stupid personal fouls which should have resulted in an ejection. Don't have a dog in this fight, I just call them like I see them...Keeping it real...Word...Out
[/quote]

That QB is a d1 talent, hes a beast.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1112311" timestamp="1320997125"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91285.msg1112291#msg1112291 date=1320993569]
[/quote]

I agree with you doesn't seem that biased at all. 1-3. Honestly the loss of 47 destroyed the gameplan and they didn't adjust at half time.

We had well over 200 fans that's a huge stadium, but it wasn't the normal showing mainly because a huge core of our fans work shift work, and can't go watch a football game on a Thursday night, unless they have a kid.

Also don't kid yourself you had a ton of 19-4a on your side as well, tons of blue on your side of the crowd, plenty of purple. And nederland in black. It's easy to say "why didn't you travel?" but it was a Thursday night at 7:30 with an hour car trip home, i highly doubt Vidor would have had a third of the crowd they did if we would have played this game in Deerpark
[/quote] Cougtalk, all B.S. aside, those twins can flat out play. You should be extremely happy to have those kids for two more years. They just didn't get to see the field that much and none of us on our side of the field understood why ya'lls defensive coordinator didn't adjust. He played a defense for the spread and let us run the football? Anyway, thanks for being a sport about the game. Sat with liltex tonight from Dayton and he was a treat.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1112319" timestamp="1320998115"]
[quote author=tupac7 link=topic=91285.msg1112317#msg1112317 date=1320997959]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. If Montana stays healthy, I believe he'll play D1 ball somewhere. He's a junior so we get him for another year along with most of this Pirate team. I never was really worried about losing Smallwood for tonight; he was the backup before Bolinger got hurt. We have several tailbacks that fit into the scheme. Montana just runs the offense really well, he's the key. Having said that, ya'll might get another shot at us next year....

[quote name="robanadana" post="1112321" timestamp="1320998516"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=91285.msg1112319#msg1112319 date=1320998115]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. If Montana stays healthy, I believe he'll play D1 ball somewhere. He's a junior so we get him for another year along with most of this Pirate team. I never was really worried about losing Smallwood for tonight; he was the backup before Bolinger got hurt. We have several tailbacks that fit into the scheme. Montana just runs the offense really well, he's the key. Having said that, ya'll might get another shot at us next year....
[/quote]Smallwood was never Bolingers backup...They play 2 completely different positions.Smallwood has started every game except this one.

[quote name="pirate68" post="1112333" timestamp="1321009584"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91285.msg1112321#msg1112321 date=1320998516]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Smallwood was never Bolingers backup...They play 2 completely different positions.Smallwood has started every game except this one.
[/quote]

Amen.....David Smallwood has had a great season so far, he's a HB not a TB.

[quote name="Vpirate" post="1112337" timestamp="1321011179"]
[quote author=pirate68 link=topic=91285.msg1112333#msg1112333 date=1321009584]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91285.msg1112321#msg1112321 date=1320998516]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Amen.....David Smallwood has had a great season so far, he's a HB not a TB.
[/quote]

Completely agree, Smallwood is nobodies backup.  Never has been and never will be.  That kid is great and I was worried about Smallwood going out.  Everyone that KNOWS this team knows about Smallwoods running ability but its his lead blocking that was truely missed,  That kid will turn you for a flip and he never misses on those runs to the outside.

[quote name="pirate68" post="1112333" timestamp="1321009584"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]And every game as a JR as well I might add

You can also see how undisciplined Crosby is with all of the penalties, especially the personal fouls.  This says more about the coaches than the players.

Vidor plays smart football.  Maybe they are not the fastest kids on the field or even the best athletes, but intelligence, preparation, and determination makes up for a lot in the long run.

Listening to the game Rob, your assessment is on point.
One other major contributor was the penalties by Crosby.
The personal fouls and false starts/illegal formation hurt Crosby big time.
However, the Pirates out-played Crosby in every phase of the game.
Great game Pirates.  Best wishes throughout the playoffs.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1112291" timestamp="1320993569"]
[/quote]There was alot of us on the Crosby side from the GT that were pulling for Vidor but sat over there because of the crowd on the yalls side. So alot of those folks were not from Crosby which makes it even worse for them. Go Pirates!

[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91285.msg1112291#msg1112291 date=1320993569]
[/quote]

Also don't kid yourself you had a ton of 19-4a on your side as well, tons of blue on your side of the crowd, plenty of purple. And nederland in black.[b] It's easy to say "why didn't you travel?" but it was a Thursday night at 7:30 with an hour car trip home, i highly doubt Vidor would have had a third of the crowd they did if we would have played this game in Deerpark[/b]
[/quote]

I disagree.  Vidor fans have always packed the stands, even at 0-10, no matter how far we had to travel.

We had well over 200 fans that's a huge stadium, but it wasn't the normal showing mainly because a huge core of our fans work [b]shift work[/b], and can't go watch a football game on a Thursday night, unless they have a kid. [/quote]

Shift Work??

Yeah right and nobody from this area works shift! Did you not notice the chemical plant and refinery that were right behind you last night...They were still running! Didn't shut'em down for the football game.  ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="1112571" timestamp="1321026838"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=91285.msg1112311#msg1112311 date=1320997125]
We had well over 200 fans that's a huge stadium, but it wasn't the normal showing mainly because a huge core of our fans work [b]shift work[/b], and can't go watch a football game on a Thursday night, unless they have a kid. [/quote]

Shift Work??

Yeah right and nobody from this area works shift! Did you not notice the chemical plant and refinery that were right behind you last night...They were still running! Didn't shut'em down for the football game.  ;D
[/quote]
Exactly! I have begged, borrowed, traded shifts, burned vacation over the years to make PNG games. What a lame excuse! Vidor fans have always supported their team win or lose. Over the years I always remember them showing up to support their school.

[quote name="ndnsrock44" post="1112590" timestamp="1321027691"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=91285.msg1112571#msg1112571 date=1321026838]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=91285.msg1112311#msg1112311 date=1320997125]

Shift Work??

[/quote]
Exactly! I have begged, borrowed, traded shifts, burned vacation over the years to make PNG games. What a lame excuse! Vidor fans have always supported their team win or lose. Over the years I always remember them showing up to support their school.
[/quote]

Nobody travels like Vidor.  You will not find a fan base more loyal to a team that historically is so bad (sorry fellow Pirates).  That crowd was the same when I was in school on road games 1hr+ with an 0-10 team.  We always have a crowd, but now we get to go home with wins. 

The entire Golden Triangle (Beaumont, Orange, Port Arthur and surrounding areas) is sustained by shift work. 

From a Nederland fan, I enjoyed watching Vidor last night, they where the second best athletes on the field but by far the best team. Coach Matthews has got that team playing great football at the right time of year. I also sat on the Crosby side because of the huge crowd on the home side, congrat's to Vidor on a great playoff win and good luck next week.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder