High Island vs. Sabine Pass Game Thread/HI wins!

WOSgrad

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="True Blue" post="1098750" timestamp="1319893680"]
High Island makes the playoffs with only winning one game
[/quote]

Sincere CONGRATS to H-I! The fact they [i]are playing[/i], much less [i]in the playoffs[/i], is a testament to their resiliency and tenacity. Go Cards! Your friends up hwy. 124 support you!  8)

The worse district in the entire state, however, I know the players and the fans and the schools can do nothing about it, so I dont blame them. The UIL needs to do something about this district. How can a team make the playoffs with one win? That is completely insane and maybe unprecedented. I have a brother who coaches in another 1A district further North and he says that everyone laughs at this district. He will really laugh when I tell him this. Once again, I am not blaming anyone but the UIL. But, this is really..well...embarrassing. There is simply no other way to put it.

[quote name="24 over par" post="1098807" timestamp="1319897915"]
true blue you are mean
[/quote] I am not being mean . Its not their fault , but its a joke for a one win team to make any playoff. Schools or straped for money now and having to make a trip for a game that there is little chance for them to even stay close, must less win, is a waste of fuel, money and time.. They need to be getting ready to play basketball. I am glad that they were able to get enough players healthy to make a full team, but to make it to the playoff is just a waste.

HI has had an incredibly rough year. 2 games dropped due to injuries to players and not having enough to suit up. They dressed 16 for the game with Sabine Pass. I can certainly agree that there may be teams with more players, talent and ability that will be sitting home instead of making the playoffs. But this squad is the embodiment of the word team. They very easily could have folded up and mailed it in the rest of the season. They gave Burkeville all they could handle and lost the lead late in the 3rd quarter. Instead they have worked hard and have gotten progressively better each week. Howard and trueblue, you say you mean no harm but after witnessing what this group of young men have done it seems tacky and devoid of class for you to offer the comments you have posted. Playoffs are still uncertain depending on the outcome of Sabine Pass and Burkeville anyway. As far as the coach issues it was simply 2 men being passionate about what they do. the cards came out and played as a team the entire 2nd half. We may not be world beaters but I am as proud of this group as any I have seen.

But in all honesty, either one of the three (Burkville, High Island or Sabine Pass) no matter what will have a short lived life in the playoffs.  Burton, Granger and Milano are all extremely talented and ranked in state (rankings vary in each poll).  But again congrats to the two who make it in and make the most of the experience

Agreed TAMU. No one thinks any of us here are world beaters. Nice to see a reward for he hard work regardless. I guess the system that Louisiana uses would be more palatable to some. They may have 3 or 4 teams from 1 district less in others it depends on strength and power factors.

I am glad that HighIsland has pulled together and made a team ,but the UIL has made a joke out of the playoffs, by letting a 1 win team make the playoffs. Thats what is wrong with alot of kids today, letting every kid get a reward just for playing. Life is not that way ,there are winners and losers. The fact that they have pulled together and gotten enough to field a team and worked hard, they still have only won 1 game. Life goes on ,and basketball will start on Monday, and it only take 5 to play. Take that hard work to the court, and make some of those teams pay for beating them on the football fields.

[quote name="Howard" post="1099499" timestamp="1319937750"]
The worse district in the entire state, however, I know the players and the fans and the schools can do nothing about it, so I dont blame them. The UIL needs to do something about this district. How can a team make the playoffs with one win? That is completely insane and maybe unprecedented. I have a brother who coaches in another 1A district further North and he says that everyone laughs at this district. He will really laugh when I tell him this. Once again, I am not blaming anyone but the UIL. But, this is really..well...embarrassing. There is simply no other way to put it.
[/quote]

Oh Howard!
I have been the apoligist for this district for some time and I guess I will have to do it one more time. Lets look at the facts...This district has produced in the last two years, a state baseball runner up, a football regional finalist and a basketball semi-finalist. In each case the teams that eliminated the Rebels was the eventual state champions, Windthourst in baseball, Falls City in football and Eula in basketball. The strength of the schools can be questioned, but with results like that its hard to call the district a joke.

High Island will likely be in the playoffs as I do not see Sabine Pass defeating Burkeville. The Cardinals will have a difficult time with the Rebels, but stranger things have happened. But even if HI looses to Evadale teh way that the current system is set up they get to play. This was set up as a five team district two years ago and Chester dropped after the districts were announced. The four remaining went on. There was no option for anything else.

If you have a problem with the system, fine I hate to tell you that there is NOTHING that you can do about it as the UIL is not a state agency, but a department of the University of Texas. You can't vote for a new UIL represenative you just have to live with what they put out. Including a system that will award a playoff spot to a team with possibly one win. This kind of thing is not new to the system however, one win maybe, but in the last couple of years there have been teams with 2 and 3 wins.

See you at the beach HI on Friday night. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder