Anybody kill anything yet?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hunt in Woodville. They arent hitting the corn much.  We have seen evidence of rut activity. Parents even saw bucks trailing does yesterday. I went from having over 200 pics in a week(under my feeder) a couple of weeks ago to 75 last week. Had a couple good bucks in pics regularly until a couple weeks ago haven't seen them since

I have had the same three bags of corn in my camper since opening weekend ( Jasper area 96 @ 255) some corn I put out the week before gun season still on the ground beginning to get that old sour look. Saw some big white oak acorns around the same time.. saw none on Sunday but alot of red oak acorns on the ground. My trail cam pics are down to near zero as well.. Had one buck  running across the lane on one camera and a doe and yearling on another high tailing it across another fire lane. Yearling look like it was saying WAIT FOR ME MOM!

[quote name="rip2506" post="1118731" timestamp="1321372122"]
I have had the same three bags of corn in my camper since opening weekend ( Jasper area 96 @ 255) some corn I put out the week before gun season still on the ground beginning to get that old sour look. Saw some big white oak acorns around the same time.. saw none on Sunday but alot of red oak acorns on the ground. My trail cam pics are down to near zero as well.. Had one buck  running across the lane on one camera and a doe and yearling on another high tailing it across another fire lane. Yearling look like it was saying WAIT FOR ME MOM!
[/quote]
I saw a BIG buck back in the summer off 96 and 255 back in the summer.  Haven't had time to go back to check whether he is still around.

I hunt the Mertz 09 out in Central West Texas.We went out there last weekend and didnt see to much of anything.The deer didnt come to the feeders or the watering holes.There were no deer on the game cams.Its like they disappeared. Ive been going out there for 13 years and never seen it this bad.
I need some smoked deer sausage!!! :-[

[quote name="TexasMinuteman" post="1122127" timestamp="1321648427"]
I hunt the Mertz 09 out in Central West Texas.We went out there last weekend and didnt see to much of anything.The deer didnt come to the feeders or the watering holes.There were no deer on the game cams.Its like they disappeared. Ive been going out there for 13 years and never seen it this bad.
I need some smoked deer sausage!!! :-[
[/quote]

Couple things I've noticed.  LOTS of acorns on the ground, so less feeder traffic.  Also, Big moon been overhead at 1 am.  Lot of feeding going on at night.

[quote name="TexasMinuteman" post="1122127" timestamp="1321648427"]
[size=10pt][b] I need some smoked deer sausage!!![/b][/size] :-[
[/quote]

I just put 70 pounds in the freezer and 10 more pounds of pan sausage.

..... and about 40 pounds of ground meat, 30 pounds of steaks/cutlets...........

jumped a BIG east Texas buck this morning walking from my stand to check our feeders on the pipeline.  i got a good look with my binoculars, and i'd say 18 or 19 inch spread with good mass and tall, too.  i coulda taken a shot, but i wasn't comfortable shooting through 100 yards of burnt out trees freehand at a buck facing me head-on.  now that i'm back to the cabin, i'm starting to wish i had, but it was the right decision not to shoot.  i know some people might be comfortable taking that shot, but i haven't hunted much, and have never shot at a big buck, so i wouldn't feel confident with that.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1123573" timestamp="1321720953"]
jumped a BIG east Texas buck this morning walking from my stand to check our feeders on the pipeline.  i got a good look with my binoculars, and i'd say 18 or 19 inch spread with good mass and tall, too.  i coulda taken a shot, but i wasn't comfortable shooting through 100 yards of burnt out trees freehand at a buck facing me head-on.  now that i'm back to the cabin, i'm starting to wish i had, but it was the right decision not to shoot.  i know some people might be comfortable taking that shot, but i haven't hunted much, and have never shot at a big buck, so i wouldn't feel confident with that.
[/quote]

What time was that?

wait a couple  more hours and your going to wish you did.

good decision.

[quote name="ST413" post="1126497" timestamp="1321903262"]
Went up this morning and pics have now gone down for around 300 a week before season to 24 last week with maybe 2 during daylight hours.  Corn piling up under feeders where that never happens due to hogs.  Not even many of them.
[/quote]

same thing on brother's land in douglass..poof ,everything has disappeared

last week, got a nice doe about 10 miles from him, still not seeing many deer...and I'll cuss them later, but have seen ZERO hogs..not even on the camera..

Shot a big fat doe Sunday evening. Picked one out of a group of three. It's funny how they seem to stick around for a few minutes after the first one goes down.. finally they got the message and fled. One young buck.. possible spike.. it was a good ways off (220 plus yards)... did not need any accidents on a four point. was just hanging around. My cousin ( who had been drinking) says shoot it.. shoot it cuz !

I am not that greedy anymore.

after we got chomped on by the mosquitos after dark.. he thanked me for not killing anymore.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin