Anybody kill anything yet?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="tvc184" post="1093583" timestamp="1319522510"]
One doe so far. I passed up a few more that I should have taken.

The one I popped was with my trusty .223.

I will be bowhunting in a couple of weeks and hope to get two or three more to finish out the year.
[/quote]  What?  Were you poaching?    :D  Seriously, where do you shoot something with a .223 this time of year?

Haven't killed anything yet but did sit on my stand yesterday evening trying to see a pig and saw the nicest rack that I have seen on that stand. A good nine point here in setx. He didn't realize how lucky he was, the crosshairs were in the kill zone, only a couple weeks too early.

[quote name="ST413" post="1093980" timestamp="1319566955"]
Haven't killed anything yet but did sit on my stand yesterday evening trying to see a pig and saw the nicest rack that I have seen on that stand. A good nine point here in setx. He didn't realize how lucky he was, the crosshairs were in the kill zone, only a couple weeks too early.
[/quote]

Do you hunt in Hardin County?

[quote name="bullets13" post="1093962" timestamp="1319566048"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=90389.msg1093544#msg1093544 date=1319515563]
I have killed a couple of does.  [b]Shot and lost a big axis doe.[/b]  :(
[/quote]

you need to hire me into the family business so i can afford to get on a lease with you :)
[/quote]  Saving this one for you.

http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/ae31/lock2040/?action=view&current=axisbuck.jpg

[quote name="westend1" post="1094019" timestamp="1319568723"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=90389.msg1093962#msg1093962 date=1319566048]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=90389.msg1093544#msg1093544 date=1319515563]
I have killed a couple of does.  [b]Shot and lost a big axis doe.[/b]  :(
[/quote]

you need to hire me into the family business so i can afford to get on a lease with you :)
[/quote]  Saving this one for you.

http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/ae31/lock2040/?action=view&current=axisbuck.jpg
[/quote]

haha, just let me know when i can ride over there with you and take it :)

[quote name="westend1" post="1093979" timestamp="1319566864"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=90389.msg1093583#msg1093583 date=1319522510]
One doe so far. I passed up a few more that I should have taken.

The one I popped was with my trusty .223.

I will be bowhunting in a couple of weeks and hope to get two or three more to finish out the year.
[/quote]  What?  Were you poaching?    :D  Seriously, where do you shoot something with a .223 this time of year?
[/quote]

You can gun hunt private or lease managed land in Texas from October until February.

I shot the doe near Harper or about 20 miles west of Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country.

The ranch that I am going to next weekend near Freer or Tilden in south Texas is managed land. I think it is a 7,000 acre ranch (low fence) and the Parks and Wildlife gave them tags for 90 bucks and 85 does this year.

When you hunt on MLD (managed land) they really want you to take of the needed deer and you cannot use your own tags. You must use the state tags so really it is unlimited on how many deer a hunter can take as long as the managed land still has tags.

You can do the same in east Texas but many people in this area don't want to be told not to shoot any deer. If the person or lease has 1,000 acres they might be able to take 35 deer off of it but they want to be able to take 200 of deer crossing their property. It is still an "if it's brown it's down" area.

[quote name="tvc184" post="1094247" timestamp="1319580089"]
The ranch that I am going to next weekend near Freer or Tilden in south Texas is managed land. I think it is a 7,000 acre ranch (low fence) and the Parks and Wildlife gave them tags for 90 bucks and 85 does this year.

When you hunt on MLD (managed land) they really want you to take of the needed deer and you cannot use your own tags. You must use the state tags so really it is unlimited on how many deer a hunter can take as long as the managed land still has tags.

You can do the same in east Texas but many people in this area don't want to be told not to shoot any deer. If the person or lease has 1,000 acres they might be able to take 35 deer off of it but they want to be able to take 200 of deer crossing their property. It is still an "if it's brown it's down" area.
[/quote]

just curious do you believe the allocation would really be as generous as 35 deer for 1000ac. not being a smart blank just really curious.

I hunt a 1100 eastex lease and we never kill that many deer.. closer to a dozen.

Today was a blessed day.. I was just given a 1980 Model 94 Trapper (16inch barrel) in 30/30.

I am stoked! The gun belong to my wife's uncle and no-one else in the family hunts.

did some research and they said that prior to august 81 these 94's were true winchesters....

I am so happy I may change my handle to rip94 or rip94-30/30

I did bow hunt last wed on th 19th saw a young non shooter while on stand...... also saw a bobcat while glassing my gun lane.. the cat was running towards me at about 60yds as if I had some purina or something.  saw another young buck at around 3:15 just after corning up my nephews gun lanes.. I had not been away from the area 20 minutes and a deer was in the lane. startled both of us ( me and the deer)

[quote name="rip2506" post="1094348" timestamp="1319591480"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=90389.msg1094247#msg1094247 date=1319580089]

[/quote]

just curious do you believe the allocation would really be as generous as 35 deer for 1000ac. not being a smart blank just really curious.

I hunt a 1100 eastex lease and we never kill that many deer.. closer to a dozen.
[/quote]

If the lease is holding a healthy population, yes. If not then it would be severely reduced. A lot also depends on the buck to doe ratio which in east Texas (at least in many areas) is way out of whack. I wouldn't be shocked to see some areas at about a 6:1 (or even greater) buck to doe. The antler restrictions should help that also in addition to letting bucks mature.

The ratio should be in the vicinity of 1:1. I still know people that don't think that you should kill does and it damages your herd but in truth it is just the opposite.

A healthy doe should in many (or most) instances have twin fawns. So a typical east Texas area of 1,000 acres might be holding 80 does and 30 bucks. From that they might drop 140 fawns next year. So theoretically the herd will grow from 110 to 250. Of course predators such as coyotes will take some as will disease and hunters but you can see the problem.

I hunted for 7 years near Chester (until last year) and in a three year period on 965 acres we killed about 50 does. Now there are way more and bigger bucks than we have ever seen on that lease going back about 25 years.

You talk of taking a dozen deer a year in more land than we have and we were taking more than 15 does a year, much less total deer. That doesn't mean that deer in your area aren't over harvested because you are not only talking about your lease but all the ones in your area since the deer don't exactly respect property lines. You can run a great lease and your neighbors might slaughter everything that moves. That is one reason why I love the 13" buck rule.

In the long run in my opinion, it is good to go with the MLD. It opens up a lot of hunting for many people and eventually for all. Most depends on where your deer herd stands at the moment. I would think if you had half of a healthy deer herd on 1,100 acres, you would be killing more than a dozen deer total from an MLD. That is just a guess.

I know that it rubs a lot of hunters in our area the wrong way though and it is like swimming upstream.

keep going tvc.. I like what your saying... We are on the Lamps program and recieve 11 doe permits per year.. but our doe harvest is only half or less every year.. and we have some REAL Brown it's down hunters on the lease. In hunting the lease for 10 years I have not seen a dozen does on stand.. I harvest a good to decent buck almost every year and have no problem killing does.. but I personally just do not get the opportunity.. matter of fact of all the pictures I have taken since June over 90 percent have been of bucks... now I believe it has a ton to do with stand location due to the fact my nephews camera is just the opposite wayyyyy more does and fewer bucks... so it may be that my stand is in the buck summer range area and they always come home for a visit on opening day.

but I like your thinking continue.. we thought about MLD but have not moved forward.

my understanding is from a veteran on the lease is that the surrounding neighbors have done a much better job of restricting their harvest demographics than we have... again we have several Brown it's down hunters..
and God bless the thirteen inch rule. it is working.,

going hunting today!

hey fellas, got a question i hunted a piece of privately ownec acreage on the lamps program and it sucked, we only got 5 doe tags for six hunters,now im hunting a lease that is 700 acres but actually has one hell of a deer herd. how does one go about getting the biologists to come out and get a program started such as level 1 2 3 ???????

[quote name="biaplayer" post="1096592" timestamp="1319771713"]
hey fellas, got a question i hunted a piece of privately ownec acreage on the lamps program and it sucked, we only got 5 doe tags for six hunters,now im hunting a lease that is 700 acres but actually has one heck of a deer herd. how does one go about getting the biologists to come out and get a program started such as level 1 2 3 ???????
[/quote]

Are you talking about LAMPS or MLD?

Both you have to apply to TPWD or a local TPWD biologist. It is too late for this year.

I killed an 8 point this morning. I slipped an arrow through both lungs at 20 yards. He ran about 50 yards and piled up dead.

He weighed in at 204 on the hoof and 168 gutted. Not a trophy with only 125 inches of horns but a good sized deer.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin