West Brook @ Katy-Predictions

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree WB is basically carrying a knife to a gun fight, but this might be a trap game for Katy. I think it might be a closer contest than most people think. We typically give Katy's running game fits, with our defense. With a freshman starting at RB, it could be interesting. Our secondary needs to be ready, because if we slow down their running game, Haack will surely go to work throwing the ball around. I think Katy wins, but may not be the blowout people expect. Still behind my Bruins!

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1055324" timestamp="1315844466"]
I agree WB is basically carrying a knife to a gun fight, but this might be a trap game for Katy. I think it might be a closer contest than most people think. We typically give Katy's running game fits, with our defense. With a freshman starting at RB, it could be interesting. Our secondary needs to be ready, because if we slow down their running game, Haack will surely go to work throwing the ball around. I think Katy wins, but may not be the blowout people expect. Still behind my Bruins!
[/quote]

I agree with this. The thing that hurt us Friday was the two kids in secondary having the collision. Both were 1st year starters on varsity, BUT the best we have. So consequently we were more open to the pass which allowed IKE to hurt us a bit. With that said, "if" the D-Line can at least hold and not get pushed back, we will do well against the run, but if they keep getting pushed back a frosh rb with a good OL can make the night long. Celaya has installed a kind "jumbo" DT package that we saw a bit Friday. On last year, we held the DL firm and had good LB play. This year everyone is "green" at there defensive position, even Bluiett. I think if we can weather the early storm. Katy, N.S, Lufkin, and maybe even PA will have enough to jump on us quick "if" we play to our experience. So, they boys must either step it up at the first whistle and/or weather the storm and work back. Last year, we gave Katy the ball (? times) inside the 30 over and over and even our good D could not take it. The boys must do what I said earlier (great start or weather the storm) and "protect the ball". No turnovers and penalties. We should have no false starts with all seniors on the OL. The coaches, in turn must place field position at all cost. We wont out coach anybody this weekend (with all due respect). Heck in some 4th down situations, I would line up like I'm going for it and have Stump just kick it from the shot gun. Put head hunters in at receiver and have them go cover the punt. Alternate that a couple of times and that will surprise them IMO. Last but not least, keep the boys healthy in practice. and find some othe kids (lower level or wherever) to step up. AGAIN, all with no Fieldhouse. Lol

82-

I thought that Marcus Gray and a couple of other guys in that secondary played well enough on Friday to give them a little confidence going into Saturday night....

Obviously Haack is a better QB than the kid from Eisenhower, but I'm not sure that Katy will be any more athletic.... Eisenhower had some athletes on the field.... Katy has a great football team, no doubt, but I think West Brook has the capability of doing some things to make Katy adjust....

Regardless if the TB Katy has 10 or 100 yards, they will stick with the plan of TB iso's and quick outs to the WR's.  And when they get you all crossed up with that, they'll slip their 6' 2"-ish TE up the seam for a 1st down or more.  They will run the 3-4 on defense and they will be more physical and fundementally sound that WB on all 3 phases.....

[quote name="HubTx" post="1055349" timestamp="1315846866"]
82-

I thought that Marcus Gray and a couple of other guys in that secondary played well enough on Friday to give them a little confidence going into Saturday night....

Obviously Haack is a better QB than the kid from Eisenhower, but I'm not sure that Katy will be any more athletic.... Eisenhower had some athletes on the field.... [b]Katy has a great football team, no doubt, but I think West Brook has the capability of doing some things to make Katy adjust[/b]....
[/quote]I totally agree with you. We came out last year with a "morphodite" defense, (as a few of my buddies from Katy called it) if you will, that defenitely made Katy take a step back and adjust. But in typical Katy fashion, they have excellent coaching and make great adjustments. We are going to have to do all our damage in the first half against these guys, because when the second half starts, they usually start playing "Katy-ball" and pull away from opponents. The other huge advantage Katy has over us is numbers. During the third and fourth quarters, when our kids are usually winded, they are not because they are constantly rotating in fresh legs. Katy normally carries 85-95 on the varsity. We only carry about half that. But I still think we can make it interesting, and make them earn it. ;)

[quote name="SFA85" post="1055396" timestamp="1315850622"]
Regardless if the TB Katy has 10 or 100 yards, they will stick with the plan of TB iso's and quick outs to the WR's.  And when they get you all crossed up with that, they'll slip their 6' 2"-ish TE up the seam for a 1st down or more.  They will run the 3-4 on defense and they will be more physical and fundementally sound that WB on all 3 phases.....
[/quote]Yep. I saw them do it last year. Makes me sick! ;D

[quote name="Popa Blu" post="1055347" timestamp="1315846810"]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=88108.msg1055324#msg1055324 date=1315844466]
[/quote]

I agree with this. The thing that hurt us Friday was the two kids in secondary having the collision. Both were 1st year starters on varsity, BUT the best we have. So consequently we were more open to the pass which allowed IKE to hurt us a bit. With that said, "if" the D-Line can at least hold and not get pushed back, we will do well against the run, but if they keep getting pushed back a frosh rb with a good OL can make the night long. Celaya has installed a kind "jumbo" DT package that we saw a bit Friday. On last year, we held the DL firm and had good LB play. This year everyone is "green" at there defensive position, even Bluiett. I think if we can weather the early storm. Katy, N.S, Lufkin, and maybe even PA will have enough to jump on us quick "if" we play to our experience. So, they boys must either step it up at the first whistle and/or weather the storm and work back. Last year, we gave Katy the ball (? times) inside the 30 over and over and even our good D could not take it. The boys must do what I said earlier (great start or weather the storm) and "[b]protect the ball". No turnovers and penalties.[/b] We should have no false starts with all seniors on the OL. The coaches, in turn must place field position at all cost. We wont out coach anybody this weekend (with all due respect). Heck in some 4th down situations, I would line up like I'm going for it and have Stump just kick it from the shot gun. Put head hunters in at receiver and have them go cover the punt. Alternate that a couple of times and that will surprise them IMO. Last but not least, keep the boys healthy in practice. and find some othe kids (lower level or wherever) to step up. AGAIN, all with no Fieldhouse. Lol
[/quote]So true. We cannot help them out, any! Good post.

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1055425" timestamp="1315852597"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=88108.msg1055418#msg1055418 date=1315852014]
I hate to say it, but Katy 56 WB 14. Maybe I'll be wrong!
[/quote]I dont think they'll score THAT many.....at lease they never have in the past. Once they get a 3 or 4 TD lead, they tend to pull the starters and coast with the back-ups in.
[/quote]
Agree with this. if it's not close at the half, Katy will play the starters the first series of the 3rd and that's it. Not only does it give the other guys game time experience, but when you plan to go 16 games every year you don't risk injuries.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder