I hate the spread offense

First and foremost I hate the spread offense. Most teams that I see run this offense put their best athlete at Quarterback and basically let him free style and see if he can make things happen with his feet and his arm. You will see a lot passes to the backs in the flat, short passes, wide receiver screens and roll out passes. My biggest problem with this offense is it has diminished the play of the offensive line. Show me a championship team and I will show a dominant offensive line. It pains me to see a big finese offensive line. What is the use of being 300lbs and friendly on the offensive line? I went to a camp out here in Houston and they had several kids who were juniors and seniors in high school who could not even get in a good three point stance who were offensive lineman. They had kids in middle school who had better a football stance.  I still feel like football is about me being able to explode off the ball while staying low delivering a good punch while moving my feet and enforcing my will on my opponent and making him like it. Now, teams would rather throw the ball for three yards than run it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="J.T. Williams" post="1051068" timestamp="1315363611"]
My next question is why do every school have seven man sled and dont use it? I am starting to think that some high school coaches use it as football decorations.
[/quote]

Buna uses theirs, as a matter of fact we broke it last week and have to either fix it or order a new one, smash mouth football is what Buna's all about, you'll see that the most physical teams in the area hit the sled quiet often.

[quote name="J.T. Williams" post="1051068" timestamp="1315363611"]
My next question is why do every school have seven man sled and dont use it? I am starting to think that some high school coaches use it as football decorations.
[/quote] MOVE!!!!!......
You need to attend a school who has no speed ....then u will find your kind of high school football......I was in Big D. last yr and 99% of the school who Won  a state champions was in the SPREAD!!!

[quote name="One4All" post="1051110" timestamp="1315368628"]
[quote author=J.T. Williams link=topic=87848.msg1051068#msg1051068 date=1315363611]
[/quote] MOVE!!!!!......
You need to attend a school who has no speed ....then u will find your kind of high school football......I was in Big D. last yr and 99% of the school who Won  a state champions was in the SPREAD!!!
[/quote]

Smash mouth is old school and there is no school today that can hang with old school. We was in better shape, meaner, played harder, and had way more heart.  Just saying!!!!!!

This is just not true. Go play Dayton and then tell me Spread offenses can't be physical. The cougs line this year is stout as well.

LT has a very physical pass blocking line, they seem to win a few games every year.

The idea that lines aren't as physical in the spread is a product of watching pass heavy run and gun style spreads versus watching option/running spread attacks.

350 yards on the ground against PNG with a 100% spread offense simply doesn't happen with out extremely physical play.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1051153" timestamp="1315378559"]
This is just not true. Go play Dayton and then tell me Spread offenses can't be physical. The cougs line this year is stout as well.
LT has a very physical pass blocking line, they seem to win a few games every year.
The idea that lines aren't as physical in the spread is a product of watching pass heavy run and gun style spreads versus watching option/running spread attacks.
350 yards on the ground against PNG with a 100% spread offense simply doesn't happen with out extremely physical play.
[/quote]

Well said, Cougtalk.

I understand the frustration with it if you don't have the coaching or athletes to pull it off, which may be some of J.T.'s issue with the spread.

I hate these newfangled computer things that make people more productive.  We should just go back to pencil, paper, and sliderule.  Heck I even hate the slide rule because it's not "REAL" math!!  While we're at it what the heck is it with these pencil things anyway...let's go back to writing in blood on papyrus!  Innovation is such bullcrap!!

[quote name="rollinac" post="1051212" timestamp="1315403026"]
I hate these newfangled computer things that make people more productive.  We should just go back to pencil, paper, and sliderule.  Heck I even hate the slide rule because it's not "REAL" math!!  While we're at it what the heck is it with these pencil things anyway...let's go back to writing in blood on papyrus!  Innovation is such bullcrap!!
[/quote]

Tell us how you really feel. ;D

Barbers Hill runs a flexbone with a quarterback and often three running backs. It is old school with a few new wrinkles. We feel our advantage is using our good offensive lineman to push back the defense and get 4-6 yards a carry.

On the other hand, Dayton uses a spread quite effectively. Each coach should evaluate his players and use the offense that suites his personnel to their greatest advantage.

[quote name="bh15" post="1051275" timestamp="1315408896"]
Barbers Hill runs a flexbone with a quarterback and often three running backs. It is old school with a few new wrinkles. We feel our advantage is using our good offensive lineman to push back the defense and get 4-6 yards a carry.

On the other hand, Dayton uses a spread quite effectively. Each coach should evaluate his players and use the offense that suites his personnel to their greatest advantage.
[/quote]

Don't write things that make sense....you're going to get respect for BH and we can't have that!  Granted the BH offense is effective but it's akin to watching paint dry during high humidity  ;) !

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1051119" timestamp="1315369438"]
[quote author=One4All link=topic=87848.msg1051110#msg1051110 date=1315368628]
[quote author=J.T. Williams link=topic=87848.msg1051068#msg1051068 date=1315363611]
[/quote] MOVE!!!!!......
[/quote]

Smash mouth is old school and there is no school today that can hang with old school. We was in better shape, meaner, played harder, and had way more heart.  Just saying!!!!!!
[/quote]
we WAS in better shape huh? i hope the education today is better than your "old school" education

So which is better the power running game or the spread? I've always lived by the creed that if there was only one that worked all the time, everyone would be doing it. Paul "Bear" Bryant is considered arguably the greatest college coach of all time (Power Running game), Steve Spurrier was infamously labeled as the "evil genius" during his tenure as the head coach of the Florida Gators during the 90's. His schemes were labeled as almost unstoppable (Spread Attack). Personally, at the end of the day it all goes back to one thing in my opinion. It's not about the X's and the O's, but the Jimmy and the Joes

I hate the spread as well.  Football is won and lost in the trenches.  Let those hogs run block and win you the game.  Let them still work when running screen passes.  They also get some of that run blocking when doing playaction passes.  Now THAT'S footall.  Not that sandlot stuff they love to do now. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83