Sign at football game sparks controversy

Guest octfeb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That may actually be taken racial in that context...  at a football game.  Was this other team majority or all African American?  If so, and if this other team was majority or all non African American, no doubt, it's racial.  Now, I get that all the time.  People say 'bro' all the time.  I don't take offense to it.  You talk on the phone to people that you've never met and you may not sound like the typial 'white' guy, they assume you are a Black guy.  They'll call you bro to let you know that they know that you are Black, which does not bother me the least bit.  Back to the subject at hand.  If a team that just beat my Jags (Central is majority African American boys) and that other team was a mainly white team, that would rub me and probably most of the comunity the wrong way simply because of the specific situation.  the point is that it's certain situations that determines this, IMHO.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1050644" timestamp="1315330390"]
That may actually be taken racial in that context...  at a football game.  Was this other team majority or all African American?  If so, and if this other team was majority or all non African American, no doubt, it's racial.  Now, I get that all the time.  People say 'bro' all the time.  I don't take offense to it.  You talk on the phone to people that you've never met and you may not sound like the typial 'white' guy, they assume you are a Black guy.  They'll call you bro to let you know that they know that you are Black, which does not bother me the least bit.  Back to the subject at hand.  If a team that just beat my Jags (Central is majority African American boys) and that other team was a mainly white team, that would rub me and probably most of the comunity the wrong way simply because of the specific situation.  the point is that it's certain situations that determines this, IMHO.
[/quote]
But Soulja--I grew up in a majority Cajun community in Lafayette LA. back in the 60's.  Every body was "bro" then.  I kind of wish we could think that way once again without being offensive.  Also, why does a particular race get to decide when a certain term is to be considered racial? 

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1050672" timestamp="1315331225"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=87802.msg1050644#msg1050644 date=1315330390]
[/quote]
But Soulja--I grew up in a majority Cajun community in Lafayette LA. back in the 60's.  Every body was "bro" then.  I kind of wish we could think that way once again without being offensive.  Also, why does a particular race get to decide when a certain term is to be considered racial?
[/quote]Well, I didn't grow up in the 60's as I have no idea of how it was back then.  I grew up in the 80's and 90's, where things, I'm sure were a little different.  In some instances, 'Bro' can be considered borderline.  In that situation, with the football game, It can raise a few eyebrows with some, brush a few the wrong way with others, or infuriate others.  I assume that some would get offended as others would take it as a joke. 

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1050685" timestamp="1315332168"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=87802.msg1050672#msg1050672 date=1315331225]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=87802.msg1050644#msg1050644 date=1315330390]
[/quote]
[/quote]Well, I didn't grow up in the 60's as I have no idea of how it was back then.  I grew up in the 80's and 90's, where things, I'm sure were a little different.  In some instances, 'Bro' can be considered borderline.  In that situation, with the football game, It can raise a few eyebrows with some, brush a few the wrong way with others, or infuriate others.  I assume that some would get offended as others would take it as a joke.
[/quote]

Well ok---I guess.  You may have indicated or proven that I am a very old man...LOL.
Anyway, as long as i can continue my versions of the Panther, Jaguar, and Da Bear legends in both the classic poetic version and new stylish rap version--then I am A-ok--Brother. 

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1050700" timestamp="1315333029"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=87802.msg1050685#msg1050685 date=1315332168]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=87802.msg1050672#msg1050672 date=1315331225]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Well ok---I guess.  You may have indicated or proven that I am a very old man...LOL.
Anyway, as long as i can continue my versions of the Panther, Jaguar, and Da Bear legends in both the classic poetic version and new stylish rap version--then I am A-ok--Brother.
[/quote] ;D ;D  You're good, Bro!  8) 8)

Somebody just lookin for a reason to get their fellings hurt, I been callin people brother and bro. all my life as in brothers in the eyes of the Lord. I'am pretty sure everyone on both teams were American Americans doubt any of them have been to Africa or know very much about it.

I agree that you have to look at the intent.... It is hard to believe it's not racial when the guys holding the sign in the parking lot were white and every other person they showed from the other team was in fact black....

I am a white guy, and I think that the sign is definitely in bad taste....

"You Mad Bro?", thats it? I could understand it if this that city has a history of racism such as _ _ _ _ _ (i'll let you fill this one in) playing against a team with a majority of Black Americans, but otherwise its nothing to get mad about... I hear this all the time & say this every now and again while winning a game, just to rub it in... they might be trying to hard to hit the news with this one.

So this is a term used on text, according to the story. No problems there, I will assume.. Now IF the other team had won, and from the looks of it they were mainly black. And they put out a sign saying you mad bro.. would the other team/fans (who looked mainly white) be stirring up a stink about this? Would anyone even listen to someone from the mainly white team? NAACP?  :o

[quote name="YoungCoug21" post="1050787" timestamp="1315340097"]
"You Mad Bro?", thats it? I could understand it if this that city has a history of racism such as _ _ _ _ _ (i'll let you fill this one in) playing against a team with a majority of Black Americans, but otherwise its nothing to get mad about... I hear this all the time & say this every now and again while winning a game, just to rub it in... they might be trying to hard to hit the news with this one.
[/quote]           

And what city are you referring to Coug21, I noticed you laid out 5 spaces for 5 letters, you talking about Vidor, If you are scared to name the city you had in mind just say your scared and be done with it. As for this sign that was displayed it was not necessary, and kinda stupid but was it racist I don't know what was in the hearts of the punks that displayed it so I can't say for sure.

I will tell you one thing that does offend me, the city of Vidor has come along way in race relations and a lot of that credit go's to sports and the interaction that young men and women of Vidor have had with all races of young people in competitive sports. I for one am heart sick that some small minded folks wont let the good people of Vidor live down the past....we are not the same town of 20 or 30 yrs. ago. I would stand side by side with my black brothers against real racism but some of the so called racism that offends people today most of the strong black men and women I know would laugh at it on go on. I know this was a rant....but I fell strongly about this subject.

Guest ECBucFan
Back in the "good ole' days", my old team faced a certain team from Beaumont. The all black team had wrote in sharpie marker on their arm pads:

"---k you white boy" and "you die now white boy".

We laughed it off, and never gave it a second thought. Besides, their verbal invectives were far worse than then their written words. Funny thing though; my old team was about a 50:50 mix!  :o 

[quote name="VPirate" post="1050875" timestamp="1315345759"]
[quote author=YoungCoug21 link=topic=87802.msg1050787#msg1050787 date=1315340097]
[/quote]           

And what city are you referring to Coug21, I noticed you laid out 5 spaces for 5 letters, you talking about Vidor, If you are scared to name the city you had in mind just say your scared and be done with it. As for this sign that was displayed it was not necessary, and kinda stupid but was it racist I don't know what was in the hearts of the punks that displayed it so I can't say for sure.

I will tell you one thing that does offend me, the city of Vidor has come along way in race relations and a lot of that credit go's to sports and the interaction that young men and women of Vidor have had with all races of young people in competitive sports. I for one am heart sick that some small minded folks wont let the good people of Vidor live down the past....we are not the same town of 20 or 30 yrs. ago. I would stand side by side with my black brothers against real racism but some of the so called racism that offends people today most of the strong black men and women I know would laugh at it on go on. I know this was a rant....but I fell strongly about this subject.
[/quote]

Great post VPirate, I could not agree more. Things are blown way out proportion these days. I use the term "Bro" all the time. It means brother to me. This is no different than a 19 year old boy having sex with a 16 year old girl and then he makes her mad so she hollers rape and he is now a sex offender and has no future and she gets pregnant right after that because basically she could not keep her legs closed but that is OK.  The messed up society we live in. Some just looking for that easy way out. Pretty much sums up the state of America. When they took prayer and paddling away from the schools and parents morals went out the window. Without morals this country will destroy itself. Will not happen in my time but it is coming and soon. This started way before Obama became president. He is not the blame and not for the deficit either.

[quote name="kicker" post="1050801" timestamp="1315340549"]
i dont even understand why that sign was raised. Unless it was some type of inside joke, what in the heck does it mean? In my opinion, it was meant to be taken BOTH ways. Pretty crappy if it was.
[/quote]u mad bro?

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1051002" timestamp="1315357998"]
To be honest I have as many black friends as I have white friends and we are all "bro". Racism is a well documented part of history, however, we can never move forward if we keep looking backwards.
[/quote]

Great post man. I could not agree more.

[quote name="SteelerCzy" post="1051010" timestamp="1315358623"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=87802.msg1051002#msg1051002 date=1315357998]
To be honest I have as many black friends as I have white friends and we are all "bro". Racism is a well documented part of history, however, we can never move forward if we keep looking backwards.
[/quote]
Absolutely correct, good post.
[/quote]

Gave you some karma even though your name is steelerCzy. LOL!!!!! Come on Man!!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124