Lamar welcomes 2nd chance players.

Guest ECBucFan

[quote name="AJ25" post="1040143" timestamp="1314201297"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=86700.msg1040018#msg1040018 date=1314186480]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=86700.msg1039840#msg1039840 date=1314128418]
Like everyone else on here, extremely sorry about what happened.

On the other hand, [b]you guys have to realize that what Lamar is doing is normal... [/b] Doesn't mean that it is right. But professional athletes get these second chances all of the time. Lamar is just taking these guys because it's hard as a start up program to pass up on guys like these when they'll probably wind up playing you from another team in the conference. Yes, it sucks... But it's something that you need to be mad at every team about, not just Lamar. Plenty of other programs do this. Again doesn't mean that it's right. I know that if I did something small wrong that didn't affect a life, I sure would want a second chance.
[/quote]

1) I guess it's also ok to condone steroid use....everbody is doiing it. Why doesn't LU set themselves apart from that, and take the high road, some things are more important than winning AT ALL COST.

2) I realize alot of schools (HS and College) and pros are doing it. But if you are aware of specific circumstances, and you continue to support through ticket purcheses then you are condoning and approving of this behavior. It wont ever happen, but the fans control t hese things, if we don't purchase tickets, and let it be know as to WHY we arent supporting them...it WILL stop. But I do understand, the almighty championship at all cost is worth way more to some than the message it is sending to younger athletes.

3) The article seemed to be written in a positive way toward LU, whereas to me, it came across as bragging and airing dirty laundry.
[/quote]

You do realize that 98-99% of this team is full of great guys who work their butt off day in and day out to win an SLC Championship? What would it show by the fans saying that "We don't want to support you because you took a couple of guys with shady backgrounds?" I'm sorry, not supporting the team because of a couple of bad eggs isn't the right way to go. What are you saying to all the other guys who are great and bust their hump every day? (Which is just about all of them) Sorry, I realize where you're coming from, but I don't think that's the best way to go about it.
[/quote]

Realizing its just a movie "remember the titans", but why wouldn't "the good ones" step up and rid their team of such filth.

Ok, so if that method is a little extreme, how do you send a message to the coaches and/or admin. that bringing these types of players in is not acceptable by the fan base that respects higher standards than the "win at all cost" mentality.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040148" timestamp="1314201660"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=86700.msg1040143#msg1040143 date=1314201297]

On the other hand, [b]you guys have to realize that what Lamar is doing is normal... [/b] Doesn't mean that it is right. But professional athletes get these second chances all of the time. Lamar is just taking these guys because it's hard as a start up program to pass up on guys like these when they'll probably wind up playing you from another team in the conference. Yes, it sucks... But it's something that you need to be mad at every team about, not just Lamar. Plenty of other programs do this. Again doesn't mean that it's right. I know that if I did something small wrong that didn't affect a life, I sure would want a second chance.
[/quote]

1) I guess it's also ok to condone steroid use....everbody is doiing it. Why doesn't LU set themselves apart from that, and take the high road, some things are more important than winning AT ALL COST.

2) I realize alot of schools (HS and College) and pros are doing it. But if you are aware of specific circumstances, and you continue to support through ticket purcheses then you are condoning and approving of this behavior. It wont ever happen, but the fans control t hese things, if we don't purchase tickets, and let it be know as to WHY we arent supporting them...it WILL stop. But I do understand, the almighty championship at all cost is worth way more to some than the message it is sending to younger athletes.

3) The article seemed to be written in a positive way toward LU, whereas to me, it came across as bragging and airing dirty laundry.
[/quote]

You do realize that 98-99% of this team is full of great guys who work their butt off day in and day out to win an SLC Championship? What would it show by the fans saying that "We don't want to support you because you took a couple of guys with shady backgrounds?" I'm sorry, not supporting the team because of a couple of bad eggs isn't the right way to go. What are you saying to all the other guys who are great and bust their hump every day? (Which is just about all of them) Sorry, I realize where you're coming from, but I don't think that's the best way to go about it.
[/quote]

Realizing its just a movie "remember the titans", but why wouldn't "the good ones" step up and rid their team of such filth.

Ok, so if that method is a little extreme, how do you send a message to the coaches and/or admin. that bringing these types of players in is [b]not acceptable by the fan base that respects higher standards than the "win at all cost" mentality.[/b]
[/quote]

Question, what percent of the actual Lamar fan base is the "fan base" that you speak of? Do you actually think it's a majority?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1040162" timestamp="1314203201"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=86700.msg1040148#msg1040148 date=1314201660]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok, so if that method is a little extreme, how do you send a message to the coaches and/or admin. that bringing these types of players in is [b]not acceptable by the fan base that respects higher standards than the "win at all cost" mentality.[/b]
[/quote]

Question, what percent of the actual Lamar fan base is the "fan base" that you speak of? Do you actually think it's a majority?
[/quote]

No I dont, the stands being full, the coaches and admin still have jobs, and the losers are still on the team. If it were an actual majority none of that would be true. But I do believe that's what makes this so sad. I take it by your answer that you don't care. But from reading, it seems you're from ? Silbee it seems, then you are accustom to that behavior from athletes.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040179" timestamp="1314214623"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86700.msg1040162#msg1040162 date=1314203201]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I dont, the stands being full, the coaches and admin still have jobs, and the losers are still on the team. If it were an actual majority none of that would be true. But I do believe that's what makes this so sad. I take it by your answer that you don't care. But from reading, it seems you're from ? Silbee it seems, then you are accustom to that behavior from athletes.
[/quote]

When did I ever "answer" you. I simply asked you a couple of questions. ::)

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040179" timestamp="1314214623"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86700.msg1040162#msg1040162 date=1314203201]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

(1) How many of these bad eggs were on the team last year when the crowds were full? (2) What have they done while at Lamar to make people question them being on the team?

McNeese State is adding Janzen Jackson, who was dismissed from Tennessee due to substance-abuse issues and failed multiple drug tests.  Does this mean that McNeese State likes losers too?

These guys are young and unless they are felons that have harmed other people then there's nothing wrong with giving them a second or third chance.  Why deny these guys a chance to succeed at what they do best?  Without football they probably wouldn't attend college with a good chance of them digging themselves a deeper hole with no escape.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1040247" timestamp="1314221485"]
McNeese State is adding Janzen Jackson, who was dismissed from Tennessee due to substance-abuse issues and failed multiple drug tests.  Does this mean that McNeese State likes losers too?

These guys are young and unless they are felons that have harmed other people then there's nothing wrong with giving them a second or third chance.  Why deny these guys a chance to succeed at what they do best?  Without football they probably wouldn't attend college with a good chance of them digging themselves a deeper hole with no escape.
[/quote]

That's what a lot of people fail to realize... College sports are what keep a lot of these guys clean and off the streets. Not to mention, they get to go to school and must get decent grades to continue playing the game they love. Not accepting these guys only makes the situation worse.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1040348" timestamp="1314234881"]
[i]College sports are what keep a lot of these guys clean and off the streets.[/i]

[b]awwwwww bull[/b]...read the post you just agreed with..he was dismissed for drugs...sports didnt keep him clean and off the street...a punk is a punk
[/quote]

I said a lot of guys.... Not everyone. There is drug testing that keeps [b]most[/b] from using.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1040247" timestamp="1314221485"]
McNeese State is adding Janzen Jackson, who was dismissed from Tennessee due to substance-abuse issues and failed multiple drug tests.  [b]Does this mean that McNeese State likes losers too?[/b]These guys are young and unless they are felons that have harmed other people then there's nothing wrong with giving them a second or third chance.  Why deny these guys a chance to succeed at what they do best?  Without football they probably wouldn't attend college with a good chance of them digging themselves a deeper hole with no escape.
[/quote]

Every school in FCS adds "Losers" its a fact.  Doesnt make it right.  And I havent checked but if you look at the stats I bet the majority wash out in a year or two anyway...I know the last "troubled" kid that came to Sam Houston washed out before he even played a down of a football game...

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1040348" timestamp="1314234881"]
[i]College sports are what keep a lot of these guys clean and off the streets.[/i]

[b]awwwwww bull[/b]...read the post you just agreed with..he was dismissed for drugs...sports didnt keep him clean and off the street...a punk is a punk
[/quote]

True dat!

Yes it would be great if all young people lived clean lives, were polite and respected all of us older people.  It would also be nice if College Sports wasn't about money and winning.  It would be great if an area of nearly 500k people would fill the stadium every home game no matter what the record and a coach never got fired for not winning enough games, but that is not todays reality.  Reality is people generally don't support a consistently loosing team.  Coaches are fired or forced to resign because they don't win and the smaller the school the less chance they have a signing a great player with no issues.  I do not condone anything that this young man or anyone else on the LU team or any SLC team may have done wrong, but I will trust the coaches and LU administration to manage the players and yes I have friends who's lives were turned inside out because of a drunk driver.

Guest beechnut
Kickoff banquet is Sunday at four to six so why dont you guys come out and support the kids and program along raise some money for the cause. Meet and greet at four dinner then the auction at six. Hundred for a seat so come on here.

Who here would be thrilled to see there son out on the town with anyone that has been busted twice for illegal drugs?

Can the money be used to field two players that dont have "baggage".

I dont know how I feel about this type of situation.

Is this true?  If you say no to the player that is breaking the rules. Or say we had the chance to pick this player up but didnt.....Wouldnt you save ten others by letting them know that breaking the rules is not tolerated?

Isnt this really about winning?  College football is about the W.  (Not a bad thing to do....that winning thing.)  Make $, make the stadium full, and pay salaries? 

What is sad is that if any of your kids were playing and got in trouble you would expect the coach to allow him to be on the team. This is the perfect example of the southeast texas mentality. Everyone will cast stones at others then it has to do with their kids and suddenly their position changes. Oden is here now so right wrong or whatever we have no choice but to deal with it. If you dont like it then dont come to the game! I promise there will still be 16,000+ fans there. Hopefully Beaumont can be the place that this kid gets it together. I dont know if yall saw him or not but there is no doubt he has the talent for the NFL. Im sure when he makes it all of you will forget about this. As to the coaching staff and the university setting a higher standard...maybe since you are the expert you should go work for the NCAA. Personally, I am not afraid to admit that in my younger years I did some things that I could have got caught for. I have drove after drinking before and could have had the same thing happen. Had it happened I sure wish that I would have gotten a second chance to get my life straight. Im sure your son or daughter has done it before. Anyway, that is my two sense. I hope that this team plays great this year. I am completely behind them and the University being an alum.

[quote name="OneTeamOneGoal" post="1044665" timestamp="1314712219"]
What is sad is that if any of your kids were playing and got in trouble you would expect the coach to allow him to be on the team. This is the perfect example of the southeast texas mentality. Everyone will cast stones at others then it has to do with their kids and suddenly their position changes. Oden is here now so right wrong or whatever we have no choice but to deal with it. If you dont like it then dont come to the game! I promise there will still be 16,000+ fans there. Hopefully Beaumont can be the place that this kid gets it together. I dont know if yall saw him or not but there is no doubt he has the talent for the NFL. Im sure when he makes it all of you will forget about this. As to the coaching staff and the university setting a higher standard...maybe since you are the expert you should go work for the NCAA. Personally, I am not afraid to admit that in my younger years I did some things that I could have got caught for. I have drove after drinking before and could have had the same thing happen. Had it happened I sure wish that I would have gotten a second chance to get my life straight. Im sure your son or daughter has done it before. Anyway, that is my two sense. I hope that this team plays great this year. I am completely behind them and the University being an alum.
[/quote]

What is sad is that if any of your kids were playing and got in trouble you would expect the coach to allow him to be on the team. This is the perfect example of the southeast texas mentality. [color=red]Same could be said of "if he drives drunk and KILLS one (or more) your family members, you wouldn't be so "quick"' to defend him[/color]

Everyone will cast stones at others then it has to do with their kids and suddenly their position changes. [color=red]Some may actually not be so shallow, and hold our kids to a higher standard, I assure you if my kid had not one, but TWO violations of DUI, DWI, colleges (or HS)sports would not be an option. Same is true of girls who get pregnant in HS, then want to come back and participate as an athlete or cheerleader, I think NOT. [/color]

Oden is here now so right [u][b]wrong[/b][/u] or whatever we have no choice but to deal with it. If you dont like it then dont come to the game! [color=red]That was my first post, I will not support LU football[/color]

I promise there will still be 16,000+ fans there. [color=red]to each their own, I have not cititized anyone for continuing to support LU, enjoy![/color]

Hopefully Beaumont can be the place that this kid gets it together. I dont know if yall saw him or not but there is no doubt he has the talent for the NFL. Im sure when he makes it all of you will forget about this. [color=red]Again, you judge some of us to be as shallow as others, I doubt that will change my mind, in fact I'm definate that it won't. Actually, it would probably make me sicker, cause now he'll have money to be even MORE dangerous in society, and think (or know) he'll get away with it, becasue he already has TWICE.[/color]

As to the coaching staff and the university setting a higher standard...maybe since you are the expert you should go work for the NCAA. [color=red]why do they need the NCAA to set the rules, why can't they just take the high road on their own and win with ONLY good law abiding upstanding young athletes, rather than contribute to the further decline in the NCAA[/color]

Personally, I am not afraid to admit that in my younger years I did some things that I could have got caught for. I have drove after drinking before and could have had the same thing happen. Had it happened I sure wish that I would have gotten a second chance to get my life straight. Im sure your son or daughter has done it before. Anyway, that is my two sense. [color=red]There is a difference in being given a second chance (by the way, this is actually his THIRD chance) in life, as compared to being given a chance in something that is a privaledge, that many, many, many other student athletes respect, and not take for granted[/color]

I hope that this team plays great this year. I am completely behind them and the University being an alum.[color=red]So because you are an alum, you want them to win at all cost, glad youre not afraid to admit THAT either.[/color]

[quote name="58SHW" post="1044699" timestamp="1314714924"]
[quote author=OneTeamOneGoal link=topic=86700.msg1044665#msg1044665 date=1314712219]
[/quote]

Everyone will cast stones at others then it has to do with their kids and suddenly their position changes. [color=red]Some may actually not be so shallow, and hold our kids to a higher standard, I assure you if my kid had not one, but TWO violations of DUI, DWI, colleges (or HS)sports would not be an option. Same is true of girls who get pregnant in HS, then want to come back and participate as an athlete or cheerleader, I think NOT. [/color]

[/quote]
Yeah , why even allow the girl back in HIGH SCHOOL? Where KIDS are, that ALWAYS make the right decisions.  I'm sure you get that those last two sentences were loaded with sarcasm.  Don't forget to kick the boy out of school as well.  No athletics, band, debate team, or even the chess club he is done. 

Oden is not a high school kid, he's 21 years old so comparing him to pregnant teenage girls is silly.  Does anyone really think he's going to move back in with his parents and get his life together that way?  More likely he'll hang out with his millionaire brother who'll give him money and let him do whatever.  He's at Lamar now where he'll have to work hard to get noticed by the NFL.  This is no big time program where they let these things slide.  It's the big time programs that allows them to get away with these things multiple times. It's schools like Lamar where they go after the make their mistakes to get back on the right track. And don't forget, Oden hasn't been excused from the charges against him.  He'll still have his day in court so he still has to deal with that.

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="1044846" timestamp="1314724404"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=86700.msg1044699#msg1044699 date=1314714924]
[quote author=OneTeamOneGoal link=topic=86700.msg1044665#msg1044665 date=1314712219]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah , why even allow the girl back in HIGH SCHOOL? Where KIDS are, that ALWAYS make the right decisions.  I'm sure you get that those last two sentences were loaded with sarcasm.  Don't forget to kick the boy out of school as well.  No athletics, band, debate team, or even the chess club he is done.
[/quote]

You missed my point, I agree with you 100%. My point was more that "the girl" will get the death penalty, whereas the male athlete would not. If a female athlete had done the same as these guys, and female programs at LU were bringing the equavalant into LU, well I'd bet it wouldn't be as well received.

I understand where you're coming from and Lamar can't just accept anyone, no matter their past.  I draw the line at rape, armed robbery, carjacking, those kinds of things, especially when guns are involved.  And if Oden had actually hurt someone while driving drunk then I would hope Lamar wouldn't sign him.

But Tidwell gave Jenna Plumley a second chance after getting caught shoplifting and she did a lot of good here.  That's partly why I'm for guys like Oden getting a second chance.  I'm not excusing their actions and they do have to face the consequences from the legal system, and I'm guessing these types of players are on a very short lease at Lamar.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="coachacola" post="1044954" timestamp="1314729825"]
I understand where you're coming from and Lamar can't just accept anyone, no matter their past.  I draw the line at rape, armed robbery, carjacking, those kinds of things, especially when guns are involved.  And if Oden had actually hurt someone while driving drunk then I would hope Lamar wouldn't sign him.

But Tidwell gave Jenna Plumley a second chance after getting caught shoplifting and she did a lot of good here.  That's partly why I'm for guys like Oden getting a second chance.  I'm not excusing their actions and they do have to face the consequences from the legal system, and I'm guessing these types of players are on a very short lease at Lamar.
[/quote]

Thank you

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• The Schobels are just like the McCowns: gene pool is large. 
    • Columbus also has the other schobel kid that’s a LB/TE that’s committed to TCU
    • Orangefield went to state 89-90 falling to Southlake then made it to regional final in 2010 losing to Jasper
    • This will be both team’s first trip to the state tournament.
    • Chester Yellowjackets: Chester Yellowjackets  Coach: Coleman Butter (3 Years As Head Coach, 81 Career Wins) Assistant Coaches: Marty Thompson, James Tonnies, Evan Stewart 2023 Record:16-10 / 12-1 / Regional Quarterfinalist Returning Starters Cole Clark, Sr, INF (District DH of the Year) Brad Davison, Sr, Util (2nd Team All District)Waylon Sturrock, Jr, Util (2nd Team All District) Trayce Knox, Jr, Util (District Utility Player of the Year)Cutter Lowe, Jr, INF (1st Team All District) Will Thomason, Jr, INF (District MVP)Jaxon Gay, So, INF (District Offensive MVP) Jesse Bittick, So, C/P (District Catcher of the Year) Previous Games Date Game Opponent Score Record 02/19/2024 Regular Groveton Centerville Bulldogs 10-0(W) 1-0-0 02/22/2024 Tournament Douglass Indians 6-1(L) 1-1-0 02/22/2024 Tournament Gary Bobcats 12-4(L) 1-2-0 02/24/2024 Tournament San Augustine Wolves 11-5(W) 2-2-0 02/26/2024 Regular Deweyville Pirates 14-4(W) 3-2-0 02/29/2024 Tournament Dawson Bulldogs 6-2(L) 3-3-0 02/29/2024 Tournament Neches Tigers 7-12(L) 3-4-0 03/02/2024 Tournament Latexo Tigers 8-5(W) 4-4-0 03/02/2024 Tournament Apple Springs Eagles 10-4(W) 5-4-0 03/05/2024 District San Augustine Wolves 15-4(W) 6-4-0 03/07/2024 Tournament Neches Tigers 5-3(L) 6-5-0 03/07/2024 Tournament Spurger Pirates 18-2(W) 7-5-0 03/08/2024 Tournament Slocum Mustangs 13-3(W) 8-5-0 03/09/2024 Tournament Kennard Tigers 8-4(W) 9-5-0 03/09/2024 Tournament Martinsville Pirates 5-3(L) 9-6-0 03/12/2024 District Broaddus Bulldogs 4-3(W) 10-6-0 03/15/2024 District West Sabine Tigers 8-4(L) 10-7-0 03/19/2024 District Colmesneil Bulldogs 10-0(W) 11-7-0 03/22/2024 District Chireno Owls 17-7(L) 11-8-0 03/26/2024 District Leggett Pirates 15-0(W) 12-8-0 03/26/2024 District Leggett Pirates 19-1(W) 13-8-0 04/02/2024 District Burkeville Mustangs 13-0(W) 14-8-0 04/09/2024 District Brookeland Wildcats 5-2(L) 14-9-0 04/12/2024 District Zavalla Eagles 19-4(W) 15-9-0 04/13/2024 Regular Good Samaritan Home School 13-9(W) 16-9-0 04/18/2024 District Burkeville Mustangs 20-1(W) 17-9-0 04/23/2024 District Zavalla Eagles 13-2(W) 18-9-0 04/26/2024 District Brookeland Wildcats 7-1(L) 18-10-0 05/01/2024 Playoff Martinsville Pirates 10-2(W) 19-10-0 05/10/2024 Playoff Oakwood Panthers 9-2(W) 20-10-0 05/10/2024 Playoff Oakwood Panthers 18-5(W) 21-10-0 05/17/2024 Playoff Brookeland Wildcats 13-11(W) 22-10-0 05/25/2024 Playoff Neches Tigers 3-1(W) 23-10-0 05/28/2024 Playoff Neches Tigers 7-4(W) 24-10-0  
  • Topics