Hunter pence to be traded?

I am just ready for Astros fans to be patient... People have to realize that the Astros will not be good will Carlos Lee (signed through 12) will not be good with Clint Barmes (1-2 more years) will not be good with their 2nd basemen (1-2 more years) will not be good without either Towles or Castro running away with the catchers position (1 year) will not be good until a couple more pitchers are ready (1-2 more years). We are [b]young[/b]. 2 more years of rebuilding.. And you're looking at a solid club for the next 10 years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pence is a good player and just about the lone bright spot for the team, but still not good enough to get much in a trade. I think he is the kind of a player that you keep and add pieces to. Lets face it, the Astros are not good right now, but if you had another starter and anything that resembled a bullpen they would still be competitive. Not saying i am satisfied with the rest of the pieces but you could compete. Wandy, Meyers, Norris & Lyles can compete and Happ does every other start or so, but as soon as they leave the game it is over. The number of blown saves tells tou that if this team had a bullpen things would be a lot different. BRANDON LYON HAS GOT TO GO. Why would you hang on to him?

Do we really want to trade Pence and go ahead and watch all the 15 thousand people who go to the game disappear? If not anything you have to keep Pence just to keep a crowd. Pence brings an excitement to a club that you can't get in just any player. And saying that he is an average player is not correct. He is a very good overall player. He can throw, field, hit, run, and lead with work ethic. He is only 28 so if you could get some decent players to surround him in the next few years you'd be fine. Pence has hit around .300 for a couple years without anyone to protect him! Imagine if he had guys on base with a big bat behind him? And if we somehow do trade him we shouldn't trade him to the phillies. It seems like half our team if from trades or players from the Phillies. WE ARE THE ASTROS, NOT the PHILLIES! So quit trying to trade for every single on of their prospects and build some of our own!?

[quote name="JohnnyT60" post="1018553" timestamp="1308102880"]
Pence is a good player and just about the lone bright spot for the team, but still not good enough to get much in a trade. I think he is the kind of a player that you keep and add pieces to. Lets face it, the Astros are not good right now, but if you had another starter and anything that resembled a bullpen they would still be competitive. Not saying i am satisfied with the rest of the pieces but you could compete. Wandy, Meyers, Norris & Lyles can compete and Happ does every other start or so, but as soon as they leave the game it is over. The number of blown saves tells tou that if this team had a bullpen things would be a lot different. BRANDON LYON HAS GOT TO GO. [b]Why would you hang on to him?[/b][/quote]because we just signed him to a big deal and he's hurt and sucks right now....who would want him?...kinda like lee...you can't give away something that nobody wants.

• 1 month later...
Guest beechnut
Pence may have played his last game tonite and wish him the best. Pence rocks and Wade sucks crap and here we sit on our way to loose a hundred games. Really? I dont trust his judge in talent and hope crane is making the calls. Get out of town drayton and your posse.

[quote name="beechnut" post="1029504" timestamp="1311987661"]
Pence may have played his last game tonite and wish him the best. Pence rocks and Wade sucks crap and here we sit on our way to loose a hundred games. Really? I dont trust his judge in talent and hope crane is making the calls. Get out of town drayton and your posse.
[/quote]

We get http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=1B&sid=t566&t=p_pbp&pid=572138

[quote name="beechnut" post="1029528" timestamp="1311990324"]
So is this another Wallace trade? Really? Until Crane takes over trust these clowns about much as I do Barak.  ???
[/quote]

beech

It's worst.

Astros will get minor lg P Josh Zeid and player to be determined in addition to Cosart and Singleton in Pence deal.

Guest beechnut
Ya Ruth nice huh and really makes me proud to be a season ticket holder. Good news is that we set a record this year bc had three pitchers by the same last name pitch in a single game. Rodriguez's............. nuff said I live and die by my teams but worse than the days of Harry the Hat Walker and Spec Richardson days.

Guest UHCoog14
Sad day in my house. Pence was the last Astro we knew by name. Maybe Bordens coukd buy the team and put the roster on some milk cartons.

I for one am glad we made this deal. Let's face it Astros are a long way from being relevant again, and as much as I like pence we need a lot more help then he can provide. This deal gives us the Phillies top 2 prospects in singleton and cosart both are also ranked in the top 25 mlb prospects. For years we have been depleting our farm system for people like Carlos lee and it finally caught up with us. We have to rebuild the farm system and this trade is a good start.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1029558" timestamp="1311995673"]
I for one am glad we made this deal. Let's face it Astros are a long way from being relevant again, and as much as I like pence we need a lot more help then he can provide. This deal gives us the Phillies top 2 prospects in singleton and cosart both are also ranked in the top 25 mlb prospects. For years we have been depleting our farm system for people like Carlos lee and it finally caught up with us. We have to rebuild the farm system and this trade is a good start.
[/quote]

I beg to differ bc Pence put fans in the stands so you want to go watch Jason Michaels in right? Im glad that Pence is gone I do not trust Eddie Wade for nothing. he got way to much credit for what happen in Philly............. Rumor has it that when Crane gets the team that whole staff is gone and the GM from Tampa is from Houston and might come home.  ;D

[quote name="beechnut" post="1029564" timestamp="1311997350"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=84766.msg1029558#msg1029558 date=1311995673]
[/quote]

I beg to differ bc Pence put fans in the stands so you want to go watch Jason Michaels in right? Im glad that Pence is gone I do not trust Eddie Wade for nothing. he got way to much credit for what happen in Philly............. Rumor has it that when Crane gets the team that whole staff is gone and the GM from Tampa is from Houston and might come home.  ;D
[/quote]

Our attendance is down this year and were on pace to lose 110 games.  People weren't going to the games anyway and pence is not a superstar.  Regardless of how you feel about wade this was a good deal.  We have to build for the future.

Guest beechnut
How do you know its a good deal? None of the players traded for have been above double a ball and time will tell. Just hate to see him go bc good player and great attitude and Astros should move to Philly.

I wish Pence the best in Philly. Happy that he gets to play for a winner for at least the next 2.5 years. Got to be tough going to the yard every day knowing your chances of winning are great. Hate to see him go but the Astros are at least 4 years from competing. You have to try to load up on young talent and pray that some of it develops into something worthwhile. Wish there was someway to dump Carlos Lee and let all these kids play and compete and get better.I was hoping they would land the Brown kid and some pitching in return but oh well. Seems the Astros have become quite the pipeline and farm team for the Phillies. Somebody metion Hunsicker coming back. I would love to see that. He built the mid 2000s Asros that competed for the NL pennants through free agency and the farm. And also got the Rays to be a respectable and competitive club once he arrived there.

[quote name="beechnut" post="1029578" timestamp="1312003065"]
How do you know its a good deal? None of the players traded for have been above double a ball and time will tell. Just hate to see him go bc good player and great attitude anId Astros should move to Philly.
[/quote]

It's a good deal because we got the phillies top pitching and top hitting prospect both are also top 25 mlb prospects. Before them we had nobody in the top 40 prospects in our farm system. The singleton kid is only 19 years old ofcourse he is in a ball. We got the best we could get for pence and the phillies way over payed for him imo.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83