QB controversy?

[quote name="MORI" post="1011676" timestamp="1305599597"]
Not buying season tickets until RW and staff name a starter. No way I'm watching Bevil lead that offense again.  JJ has to be a bigger threat to a defense?
[/quote]

Wow, 1 season under Woodard's belt and he already has some fans threatening not to purchase season tickets. Cut him some slack, be a true fan and buy the damn tickets. Last I checked, there's 10 other Cardinals on the field regardless of who's playing QB.

Your right I'm gonna buy season tickets and RW and his staff are doing fine. Just feel like we saw what Bevil could do last year and it wasnt great. We have a new exciting QB to watch so my fingers are crossed.

[quote name="MORI" post="1011696" timestamp="1305603971"]
Your right I'm gonna buy season tickets and RW and his staff are doing fine. Just feel like we saw what Bevil could do last year and it wasnt great. We have a new exciting QB to watch so my fingers are crossed.
[/quote]

Much better  ;)

The best players will play.

Well just for the topic of conversation what are your thoughts JJWooten? It seemed to me that they went with the Pruit kid from Kelly to end the season last year. Bevil was at wideout so he was obviously healthy enough to play. Just curious what the deal was with that. In the spring game they were rotating all qbs but it seemed like JJ and Bevil took most of the snaps.

[quote name="MORI" post="1011755" timestamp="1305640041"]
Well just for the topic of conversation what are your thoughts JJWooten? It seemed to me that they went with the Pruit kid from Kelly to end the season last year. Bevil was at wideout so he was obviously healthy enough to play. Just curious what the deal was with that. In the spring game they were rotating all qbs but it seemed like JJ and Bevil took most of the snaps.
[/quote]

I watched a few games last year when they weren't overlapped with Sam games. Bevil was awful. I don't know how he put up such big numbers in those first few games, but after about 3 games, he collapsed. I like Pruit, he seemed to be a good leader. He was calm and controlled and didn't just throw the ball up like Bevil did.

JJ seems like he could be a good QB, as long as he doesn't have the same problems Bevil does. A lot of times, kids with big arms like that just throw the ball down field and hope that someone catches it. I think with him being out of the game for a year, plus the little tape I saw on him from his senior year at Silsbee, he may have Bevil Syndrome, but I don't know.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="1012020" timestamp="1305665236"]
[quote author=MORI link=topic=84353.msg1011755#msg1011755 date=1305640041]
[/quote]

I watched a few games last year when they weren't overlapped with Sam games. Bevil was awful. I don't know how he put up such big numbers in those first few games, but after about 3 games, he collapsed. I like Pruit, he seemed to be a good leader. He was calm and controlled and didn't just throw the ball up like Bevil did.

JJ seems like he could be a good QB, as long as he doesn't have the same problems Bevil does. A lot of times, kids with big arms like that just throw the ball down field and hope that someone catches it. I think with him being out of the game for a year, plus the little tape I saw on him from his senior year at Silsbee, [b]he may have Bevil Syndrome, but I don't know.[/b]
[/quote]

Not even close. If the play isn't there, JJ will use his legs more times than his arm.

I think Bevil got a bad case of what I believe the pros call happy feet.  That is when a qb looses faith in his line to protect him and starts heaving the ball just to get rid of it and avoid the sac or the bruising from all of the hits.  Not standing up for Bevil but there have been many outstanding college qbs fail in the pros for that reason.  David Carr and the Texans are just one example I can think of.

[quote name="geezer" post="1012057" timestamp="1305671431"]
I think Bevil got a bad case of what I believe the pros call happy feet.  That is when a qb looses faith in his line to protect him and starts heaving the ball just to get rid of it and avoid the sac or the bruising from all of the hits.  Not standing up for Bevil but there have been many outstanding college qbs fail in the pros for that reason.  [b]David Carr and the Texans are just one example I can think of.[/b]
[/quote]

Perhaps one of the best examples too!

AAW, JJ has never played a collegiate game, you don't know what he will do. Silsbee high school and the competition in Class 3A are not even close to Lamar football and the SLC. Just because he was successful in HS doesn't mean it will translate to success on the field in college.

AAW, JJ has never played a collegiate game, you don't know what he will do. [color=red][i][b]Silsbee high school and the competition in Class 3A are not even close to Lamar football and the SLC. Just because he was successful in HS doesn't mean it will translate to success on the field in college.[/b][/i][/color][/quote]

Come on.. Really People.  ???

I seem to remember him being one of the top dual threat QBs in the country...  Guess all those Div I teams scouting him as an athlete were completely wrong about his playmaking ability.  ;)

You could also say that West Virginia had no idea what they were doing when they brought him in either.  Please... ::)

I watched this young man do things on the field that will transfer to this level anyday. 
He man not be able to outrun every player on the field or make 5 -7 defensive players look like fools, but I am betting that if you put him on the field with other "talented" players who were stars themselves it will be interesting to watch.

Of course I could be biased about the whole thing...  ::)

[quote name="JJWooten" post="1012062" timestamp="1305672083"]
[quote author=geezer link=topic=84353.msg1012057#msg1012057 date=1305671431]
I think Bevil got a bad case of what I believe the pros call happy feet.  That is when a qb looses faith in his line to protect him and starts heaving the ball just to get rid of it and avoid the sac or the bruising from all of the hits.  Not standing up for Bevil but there have been many outstanding college qbs fail in the pros for that reason.  [b]David Carr and the Texans are just one example I can think of.[/b]
[/quote]

AAW, JJ has never played a collegiate game, you don't know what he will do. Silsbee high school and the competition in Class 3A are not even close to Lamar football and the SLC. Just because he was successful in HS doesn't mean it will translate to success on the field in college.
[/quote]

Of course, there are no guarantees that he will succeed at the college level. But, I am willing to bet you any amount of money that he will be the starting QB for Lamar before the season is over and he will have success.

I know what the coaches(LU) and scouts(at camps) have told me personally about JJ. I'll take their word over yours about him any day. ;)

My point was that he will not play like Bevil like you stated. He will utilize his athletic skills to make plays, something that Bevil could not do. JJ's 4.38 forty is just the start of his advantage athletically over Bevil and the rest of the QB's. Bevil runs a 4.8. ;)

You will soon find out.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1012117" timestamp="1305679047"]

Of course, there are no guarantees that he will succeed at the college level. But, I am willing to bet you any amount of money that he will be the starting QB for Lamar before the season is over and he will have success.

I know what the coaches(LU) and scouts(at camps) have told me personally about JJ. I'll take their word over yours about him any day. ;)

My point was that he will not play like Bevil like you stated. He will utilize his athletic skills to make plays, something that Bevil could not do. JJ's 4.38 forty is just the start of his advantage athletically over Bevil and the rest of the QB's. Bevil runs a 4.8. ;)

[b]You will soon find out.[/b]
[/quote]
I hope you have to eat your words on this one.

I'll believe it when I see it though. I'm not impressed by 40 times honestly because football isn't played in a straight line. The fact is, no one has seen him play in a year. I'm sure he was well conditioned at WVU, but those are the only assumptions I can make. Hopefully the DII and NAIA teams will be a good warm-up for him before he gets to the DI competition, and then we'll see how he does (assuming he'll start). Go back and look at old posts on this board and all you see is raves about how athletic Bevil was. Like Geezer said earlier, he may have just gotten  happy feet, there's no guarantee JJ won't be the same way

I think the coaches will give everyone a fair shot. With that being said, I think JJ will win the spot. It's the SLC people...not the SEC. He has the speed and athleticism to make things happen with his legs. 4.38 compared to 4.8 is a huge difference. I agree, the 40 doesn't isn't the maker in football. Players make plays and I truly believe there are many athletes who have better game speed than "combine" speed. However, the 40 tells so much about your acceleration. 0.42 in the 40 is a lot. He can run away and out of situations that many other QB's can't do. I believe he has a good receiving core with Hicks and Jackson (I think that was his name). You are going to have to send more than 4 to get to JJ.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="1012124" timestamp="1305680524"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=84353.msg1012117#msg1012117 date=1305679047]

[/quote]
I hope you have to eat your words on this one.

I'll believe it when I see it though. I'm not impressed by 40 times honestly because football isn't played in a straight line. The fact is, no one has seen him play in a year. I'm sure he was well conditioned at WVU, but those are the only assumptions I can make. Hopefully the DII and NAIA teams will be a good warm-up for him before he gets to the DI competition, and then we'll see how he does (assuming he'll start). Go back and look at old posts on this board and all you see is raves about how athletic Bevil was. Like Geezer said earlier, he may have just gotten  happy feet, there's no guarantee JJ won't be the same way
[/quote]

So I take it that you don't want to make a wager on this?

I would like to add to the "happy feet" asumption. My point in starting this thread was to make the point that I did not want to watch Bevil again next year. If he got "happy feet" a year ago why wouldn't he still have them? He had a shot and proved that he could not do it without turning the ball over. I also saw JJ in high school and agree that he wont be able to do the same things at this level as he did there BUT AAW is exactly right. He does not try to throw the ball when he gets pressure. He takes off. When he takes off it seemed in the spring game that he could be gone at any second. When Bevil takes off everyone holds thier breath hoping he doesnt fumble when he gets hit. I am sure Bevil is a good kid and a hard worker but we have seen what he could do. The Pruit kid went 2-1 and from what I read about the game in Georgia should have won that one too. He simply let the athletes make plays. The wideouts are so good on this team that it doesn take much. In my opinion if they go with anybody over JJ it should be Pruit. Bevil shouldn't even be in the mix. He needs to spend the summer working on catching the football and running routes. He is athletic enough to help the team but I just dont see it at quarterback.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="1012124" timestamp="1305680524"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=84353.msg1012117#msg1012117 date=1305679047]

[/quote]
[b]I hope you have to eat your words on this one.[/b]

[/quote]

BTW, why would you "hope that I have to eat my words" on this one? You have something against JJ? Do you want him to fail?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1012227" timestamp="1305732670"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=84353.msg1012124#msg1012124 date=1305680524]

[/quote]
[b]I hope you have to eat your words on this one.[/b]

[/quote]

BTW, why would you "hope that I have to eat my words" on this one? You have something against JJ? Do you want him to fail?
[/quote]
Nope!  ......I think its all about you. :o

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1012117" timestamp="1305679047"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=84353.msg1012062#msg1012062 date=1305672083]
[quote author=geezer link=topic=84353.msg1012057#msg1012057 date=1305671431]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You will soon find out.
[/quote]As much as I hate coming to an agreement with you on ANY topic, I must agree with you on this one. The reports I keep hearing are high for this young man. Now, will I post this or DELETE IT giving you the satisfaction! Oh well here goes.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1012227" timestamp="1305732670"]
[/quote]

No, no. I just hope he doesn't prove me wrong when Sam plays Lamar. I could care less what he does in the other games, in fact, I don't care what ANY QB does this season for Lamar, I hope they all do well..... except when they play Sam  ;D

I really do not care who the qb is and I will trust the coaching staffs judgement at this time.  The point I was making is if Bevils problem was faith in the line, I don't necessarily believe he will last the full season this year either.  Have no background for JJ to make any judgements by, but until he is proven on the field this is just an open opinion poll and high school bragging rights issue.  Pruitt proved he has what it takes to stand in the pocket and find the reciever, but I am not saying he should be the starter either.  Let them prove it on the field.  We can all second guess the coaches as the season progresses.

[quote name="geezer" post="1012317" timestamp="1305760158"]
I really do not care who the qb is and I will trust the coaching staffs judgement at this time.  The point I was making is if Bevils problem was faith in the line, I don't necessarily believe he will last the full season this year either.  Have no background for JJ to make any judgements by, but until he is proven on the field this is just an open opinion poll and high school bragging rights issue.  Pruitt proved he has what it takes to stand in the pocket and find the reciever, but I am not saying he should be the starter either.  Let them prove it on the field.  We can all second guess the coaches as the season progresses.
[/quote]

+1

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83